Battlechasers: Nightwar

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by pbb76, May 16, 2018.

1. pbb76

pbb76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,466
    Got this yesterday for my birthday.

I'm a big fan of (J)RPGS and this game has a few different systems from across a variety of games and is super impressive.

Firstly, the presentation is ace. Its a super polished game, great artwork, well thought out AI and music is beautiful.

There are lots of things in the UI (pressing + brings up your 'lore book' that has a tonne of stuff in it - bios, enemy sheets, world info, crafting info, fishing records, achievements etc). Really a lot of stuff to look at.

The enemy info in the lore book is really good - bit like Monster Hunter World. The more times you fight an enemy type, the more lore you unlock with tips and data on the enemy. Love that.

The game itself has you wandering round an overworld map with little characters - bit like Ni No Kuni 2. You can find secrets and stuff and enemies are on the map that you can instigate battles with. Also on the map are dungeons you can enter to work through. These are slightly different - more Diablo like, though you cant really attack the enemies in real time. If you land a hit, you get a slight advantage in the battle section.

The battles are turn based. You have a turn tracker down the side (not quite sure yet what sets that order though, usually a 'speed' stat). You have a few basic attack types, using these doesnt do a large amount of damage, but builds up 'overkill' mana which you can spend on bigger attacks if you run out of standard mana.

There really is a great risk/reward element to this. Deciding what sort of attack to use, can you use an attack to set up for a bigger one down the line, or do an attack to inflict an effect on an enemy that your team mate who is next up can utilise etc. Theres lots to consider.

The early attacks are pretty easy affairs as all the mechanics are explained but definitely ramp up nicely and i've been wiped out a couple of times so far.

If you lose all your health, you are knocked out - you can be revived in certain situations, but if you lose all your party in a battle, you are all dumped back at the nearest inn.

Everything so far is very nice and i'm enjoying it a lot!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  2. sprahttam

sprahttam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Thanks for the impressions, sounds good. Really enjoying turn based games at the moment and have had this in my basket at argos for the last couple of days whilst I decide whether to go for it or get the banner saga instead.

Will probably get both of course.

Edit: happy birthday :D

3. pbb76

pbb76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,466
    I'd really like Banner Saga and like you, will no doubt end up with both.

But with Battlechasers and South Park as turn based battles, plus stuff like XC2, Disgaea etc, I think I'm covered from strategy games and I think Banner Saga will be pushing that over the top.

4. addyb

addyb
    Previously Alpha Male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    Mine should be here today. Looking forward to it.