1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle Star Galactica new series nearly at an end.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Steve_P, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Has anyone else really enjoyed this show? The season 1 finale seems to have come round so quickly :( Mon 24 Jan 05. For me the writing has been spot on and mix of comedy with serious story line has been perfect too. I think my fave character easily has to be Dr. Gaius Baltar and his relationship with imaginary cylon model 6.

Although I used to watch the original series as a kid, I wouldn't class myself as an avid fan of the original. However, I really do enjoy the modern makeover of BSG.

So what what do you guys/gals think of it? Good? :smashin: or bad? :thumbsdow

S.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well , its come round so quickly because its only a 13 episode run :D
    I have watched it since the start and thought it overall very good. I think that at times it has been a little to gritty and down and dirty with its sense of realism. Ships that can jump to other star systems, but no visual comunications. Atificiall gravity on the main cruisers and life support, but you still have to wear space suits in a viper. Oh and the episode with col tys wife was just bad :mad:
    Minor niggles aside though I have enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next season if it gets made. I just hope the finale is not to much of a cliff hanger ending. I hate cliff hanger endings! :D

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    I wouldn't want to eject without one (remember starbuck) , and besides , didn't US pilots wear something similar in the SR71 blackbird

Thought it an excellent series , I think a second has been comissioned :lease:

Couldn't believe the rumpy pumpy at the start last night :eek: , not that it bothers me particularly. But I wouldn't have been happy if my kids had been up :nono: .

I could have sworn it was on upto the start of Enterprise, I wonder what they will fill that slot with ( not Guyus I hope .Randy beggar :laugh: )

Isn't it a part SKY funded series , I wonder what its viewing figures are like

Roll on series 2 I say :smashin:

John

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Sky did indeed fund this show, to the tune of 51% of the total series budget! :eek: Hence, the reason we in the UK got to see the show before the US networks! :laugh:

Unless the ratings fail miserably in the USA/Canada, (due to people downloading the show off the internet rather than actually watching it on US TV; not enjoying the show, or simply because of lousy viewing figures in general), I'd expect another 13-episode run, in the next 18 months.

Pooch

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I thought it was quite good generally and I watched the pilot with strong misgivings but it won me over.

The weakest thing about is some of the main actors (mostly the younger ones) . I see they have whittled down a few of the less interesting ones though : the chief , the president's assistant.

Any storyline with Col Ty just sends me up the wall and his wife must be related to one of the producer's because she cannot act for toffee.

Then again I don't think much of Apollo and Starbuck (really 2-dimensional and when they are given something more interesting they resort to sullen looks and staring off into space which they don't really have enough presence to pull off)

Ed Olmos is great though but he's under-used , the pres is ok but a bit predictable and they could have done with moving the story on a bit throughout the series.
    The subplot on Caprica isn't very interesting.

6. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Now I think the red dress the cylon model 6 has been in has played a big part of the show :clap: :smashin:

I hope they do make season 2 :thumbsup: 7/10

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,064
    Haven't seen last nights yet but I have loved the show. Definitely one of my faves at the moment. Just seems to have exactly what I am looking for in this type of show.

Will be very much looking forward to series 2.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    [font=&quot]Just to balance the thread, watched 6/7 episodes and not bothered since. Just can’t handle a female Starbuck and Apollo is such a bore. Baltar spends so much time day dreaming about a psycho in a dress that any normal crew would have locked him up an age ago. Also its filmed in that trendy, cameraman is on skates style that I hate. :thumbsdow [/font]

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    It does lag in the middle , some of those episodes are very forgetable. It picks up again.

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,064
    Never seen the original series so don't have anything to compare this new series to. Which is good in a way.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111

the cylons are a LOT better looking in the new version! :devil:

12. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Heh you're not wrong there!! :D

I know who I'd surrender to :p

S.

[Images removed by Garrett]

Rule 9 of the forum Do not use images from 3rd parties' websites without their permission. Linking to an image on someone else's website without their permission is considered to be bandwidth theft. This is not a copyright issue but a bandwidth issue. We have had big problems with people linking to our images without permission and we don't allow members to do the same to other people.

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Whoah there son thats a wee bit of a spoiler maybe : for the pilot ep at least.

14. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Ooops :blush: Sorry, above post now edited to remove 1 image, I think of these forums as UK only as opposed to open access to all. That and the first season has all but finished here in the Uk. :oops:

S.

15. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,156
    HI,

More cylon action would off benefitted the show. I really dont like the whole docter bit seeing the cylon blonde woman, it is too weird, the way she can interact with him and no one else can see her.

rai

16. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    13 Episodes?

Hhmmm, my mate told me that this coming mondays was the last episode but I only have 11 taped?

Have I missed one or is it a double ep or does it still have one week after that to go?

Baltar is also my Fav, that guy sure can panic.

17. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  18. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you missed 1, I already have 12 eps recorded (plus the 2 pilots)

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Especially when she is the spitting image of Andrew Flintoff.

I must admit that I enjoyed the pilot but I didn't think that the rest of the series was as good. Gaius Baltar is an unbelievable character and just plain stupid and I don't know if Starbuck is supposed to be pretty but to me she was a dead ringer for England's premier all rounder.

Some of the story lines are equally unbelievable - the whole of humanity has been wiped out except for 50,000 survivors yet one episode was devoted to a vice presidential election, yeah sure.

There may only be less humans left than the population of a small town but the media seem to be well represented as whenever the president has an announcement to make she calls a press conference and at least a dozen media representatives turn up with their recorders. Is there a seperate newspaper for each ship :)

20. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yep, missed episode 10, how did i miss that one :confused:

Oh, wait, i probably missed it over the xmas break, knew that was gonna miss me up :suicide:

Probably missed SG1 and atlantis as well.

Never mind, just gives me an excuse to buy the dvd box set when it comes out.

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Actually I thought that would be exactly what would happen in that situation, the old guard trying to maintain the status quo even though the structure that built the system had been torn down.
    Petty minded bureaucrats and pen pushers will always find a niche and then decide it's their duty to recreate what went before down to every rule and procedure, in triplicate:)
    Think Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy and a ship full of telephone cleaners and after crash landing on earth their need to have numurous meetings just to decide if fire should be invented:)

As for the press most if not all of them were onboard the ship which now carries the president, weren't they lucky.
    Could have been worse, a convention of lawyers could have been onboard, imagine the claims....

"Planet nuked? Only robots to blame? we can get a result......

22. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,064
    SG1 and Atlantis had an extra weeks break over Christmas than Battlestar did, so you should be alright with those.

23. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Looks like i missed a good one as well.

Its the one where They attack a cylon base on a planet that has water

Damn I wish I had sky+

Cheers Greg, I checked it out, i'm okay with stargate.

24. gymboy17

gymboy17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Battlestar remake is EXCELLENT, groundbreaking special effects and filmography. Great acting and great story lines. America churns out dozens of sci fi TV every year but i can't be bothered with 90% of them. Ten a penny trash In my eyes but BG is outstanding. To get me sat for an hour is not easy but this does.
    There is also some fit talent on this show too but to avoid appearing shallow I won't go there :nono:
    10 out of 10 from me. :clap:

25. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hardly groundbreaking effects.
    The original series effects were comparatively done to a higher standard for the time.

26. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  27. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think I read on the website I found through Gateworld.com that they were waitng for the first few eps to air Stateside and see what the reaction was like before making a decision sometime in early Feb about season 2.
    After checking the reviews on the link in the previous post I think their decision will be one of the easiest in TV history :thumbsup:

28. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Not ground breaking only because the company behind the sfx worked on Firefly, some of the content made for that show actually ended up in BSG :)

However the sfx are different from the "normal" effects used in such things as Trek and Farscape and do certainly stand out, you either love 'em or hate them.

Haven't see the original show for years but watching Buck Rogers on DVD, amazing how many times the same shot is used over and over even when the ships involved in a fight don't match:)

29. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well they have a shaky handheld camera which is nice but they overuse it a bit along with the crash zooms. The CG is not very well textured or lit compared with Enterprise and Stargate to be honest and the compositing sucks quite frankly. But thats not particualrly unusual for a TV show.

FireFly on the other hand is unusually high quality for a TV show.
    Farscape was also unusual in the attention paid to the VFX.

BSG has its moments (mainly in the blocking out of the action rather than the imagery itself).

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Anyone know if Sky are planning a re-run of this show in the near future?