BATTLE ROYALE: Special Edition - Out Now!!!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but the "Battle Royale: Special Edition Tin Set" is out now, on a UK Region 2 DVD!

The two-disc set was released on Monday, and will cost you about £25. The film is the little-seen Director's Cut, which runs to 117 minutes approximately, which was previously only available in Japan, on a Japanese-language only DVD.

The film has an English Subitled print with newly-remastered AND removeable subtitles, plus a DD 5.1 soundtrack. Not to mention being totally uncensored. Also, the print is now PAL 16:9 anamorphic compatible.

The second disc contains about 2 hours of extras, all in Japanese with English subtitles, including interviews with the cast and crew; info on the special effects; info on the censorship and problems of being banned in Japan, etc, etc, etc.

The whole set comes in a lovely silver. "Battle Royale" red-embossed-logo metal tin, just like the American Region 1 Tin Edition of "Akira" did.

All-in-all, it looks rather nice! Can't comment on the film or extras, as I haven't seen the DVD yet, so I don't want to mislead any of you!

Will try to post a short review in the next few days.

Pooch

Hold on, did I just see the terms 'R2' and 'totally uncensored' in the same post?

I was under the impression (can't remember where I heard it) that this version actually had less violence than the original release.
Not that it makes much difference to me, I didn't like the film anyway.
Load of old hokum:clown:

What's Tartans game releasing, what, 3 different versions of this one now? Talk about milking the cash cow.

I thought they'd added back in some CGI blood effects to make it a little more disturbing.

Although CGI blood is very liable to make it a comedy if not handled extremely carefully...

It only escaped the BBFC's wrath because it was foreign/subtitled. The same as 'Man Bites Dog'.

Originally posted by PoochJD
Hi,

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but the "Battle Royale: Special Edition Tin Set" is out now, on a UK Region 2 DVD!

Pooch

Pity you didn't look in the Now Shipping thread:rolleyes: or, possibly, the bargain one where I posted that people could've scored this little gem for £11.85 inc from amazon.co.uk due to a pricing error. Colour me surprised:p :D

I saw it in the now shipping forum and boy was I peeved. I bought the bleedin normal version on Monday after seeing it on Saturday. Hasn't even arrived yet, how unlucky is that?

I don't suppose anybody wants to trade or buy the original? Come on like, those clangy old metal cases, and two discs, how heavy would that be??? Naa, what you want is a spanking new light weight, aerodynamic, one disc masterpiece.

Anybody know how to do the Jedi mind trick?

futuristic splatterfest set in a japan where youth crime and violence has reached epidemic levels, so every year a class is selected in a lottery and sent to an island to kill each other, battling to become the remaining surviving and winner of the contest. Quite how that's supposed to discourage youth violence is beyond me. Film was ok but nothing special like some make it out to be.

Originally posted by James45
Quite how that's supposed to discourage youth violence is beyond me

Almost certain violent death and an exploding dog collar round your neck?

It's a little more harsh than the safari trips, Playstations and pats on the back most juvenille criminals seem to get from the Police in this country.

Originally posted by James45
Film was ok but nothing special like some make it out to be.

I'd agree but go a bit further and say it didn't even scrape by as OK. It failed to live up to the hype that had already built up around it as an unseen commodity (that's the internet for you), and which Tartan have firmly latched onto and squeezed every drop of life from it they possibly could.

Anyone that was actually blown away by Battle Royale is going to shoot their load when they get an eyeful of the uncut Ichi The Killer. Now that was my idea of progressive cinema. Can't wait for the uncut Dutch disc to appear in a couple of months. Extreme Jap cinema with balls...and then some:eek:

Originally posted by Rambo John J
It failed to live up to the hype that had already built up around it as an unseen commodity (that's the internet for you)

That's film companies using labels for films like 'extreme' and 'disturbing'... which then get a UK '15' rating and are merely mild suspense/thrillers.

No, the hype machine was in full effect for around 12 to 18 months (it certainly felt that long) before the Jap and Hong Kong (R3) discs materialised, let alone its eventual arrival in the UK for a brief film festival tour, an even briefer arthouse tour, and rapid DVD release to cash in by Tartan. This (Battle Royale) was one of the most eagerly awaited movies in underground circles for the whole time, being hyped by a whole mass of people on the internet based on a wee bit of hearsay from the few who'd seen the Jap theatrical release. The hype as I knew it (it had died down in comparison by the time the film eventually hit UK shores and got some more mainstream attention) lasted literally 18 months before anyone, let alone mainstream press, got a look at it.
Suffice it to say, with that much build up it would struggle to reach just about anyone's expectations. Well mine, anyway.

I know what you mean about the press though. I doubt most of them have even seen half the stuff before they're writing the blurb for the posters.
I expect they'll do the same with Ichi The Killer, even though it's already had a fair amount of cuts at the BBFC (for sexual violence). The sadistic violence and splashy gore is intense to say the least. You've gotta love the BBFC though for sneaking it out uncut for a low-key arthouse tour at the beginning of the year so us "intellectuals" could have a gander at all that luverly splashy gore, sadistic torture, and titilating voyeuristic sexual violence that an uncut Ichi has to offer.
Double standards or what:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rambo John J
Suffice it to say, with that much build up it would struggle to reach just about anyone's expectations. Well mine, anyway.

I agree, the rumours about the film, even for shooting began, vastly overstated what the film was to eventually contain. It could never have, and didn't, live up to the underground or mainstream hype.

As for the BBFCs double standards, well, yes, I agree with you on that... they will release practically anything if they believe the potential audience to be very limited.

Although, in my view, the potential audiece for really extreme films is ALWAYS going to be limited, so it's kind of hypocritical snobbery... especially as foreign/B&W films are often (and even further patronisingly) believed to be of 'minority' interest by definition.

Originally posted by Delorian

Anybody know how to do the Jedi mind trick?

Want some cheap Death Sticks?:p :D

This is wicked news as my copy that I ordered from DDD House for about £3 is fecked :( Its got loads of bad problems about 15 minutes from the end, loads of colour blocking / freezes etc. Never mind :)

Dave

Originally posted by encaser
Want some cheap Death Sticks?:p :D

Why not, I'm already getting royally screwed this month. HMV is having a sale and I swear, they're selling everything I have bought recently at half the price I paid for it.

Anyway, what is Ichi The Killer, is it any relation to Riki-Oh, or is this another film I have to add to my ever growing list (after Premutos, Zombi 2, Zombie Doom & Ring)? And what version should I be looking for? Obviously looking for the usual uncut, deleted scenes, and alternative endings.

Originally posted by Delorian

Anyway, what is Ichi The Killer, is it any relation to Riki-Oh, or is this another film I have to add to my ever growing list (after Premutos, Zombi 2, Zombie Doom & Ring)? And what version should I be looking for? Obviously looking for the usual uncut, deleted scenes, and alternative endings.

Ichi the Killer is a surreal, bloody, whacked-out Jap Yakuza movie. It's full of sadism, torture, gore (extremely realistic aswell as OTT Braindead style), voyeuristic rape scenes....it's not your average Saturday night movie fayre. It's got excellent cinematography and a decent (albeit very weird) story. It's no relation to The Story Of Ricky, and if that's a recognised yardstick for OTT gory fun, it doesn't come close to Ichi. The only disc previously available subtitled is the R3 one from Hong Kong and it was cut by between 8 and 15 minutes (depending on who you talk to).

You'll be wanting the uncut Dutch 2 disc set, actually put together by Hong Kong Legends (the UK rights holders). I've seen it up for preorder at Movietyme, but I'll be getting it from a Dutch supplier myself. It should be out Nov/Dec time.

As always, a wealth of information (especially when it comes to crazy, sick, twisted crap). Thanks alot John, I'll stick it down on that ever growing list.

Rambo John J

with Ichi The Killer, even though it's already had a fair amount of cuts at the BBFC

How come this film is not on theb BBFC website if it has been cut as you say??

Is it known by another title?

Neil.

Originally posted by NeilH
Rambo John J

How come this film is not on theb BBFC website if it has been cut as you say??

Is it known by another title?

Neil.

I thought the BBFC were still discussing this. Saw on another forum they have grave concerns about its content, so very likely to be heavily cut.

Anyway go for the 2 disk Dutch SE.
Should also mention this will be uncut !

The BBFC website isn't as up to date as you might think. Quite often if you run a search, the film you're after info on isn't even posted on the site until after the film is released. In the case of Ichi, the required cuts are reported to be to sexual violence (there's quite a lot of it) although the OTT gore and torture scenes appear to be passable without the help of the man with the scissors. Although it's safe to say the BBFC aren't the biggest fans of this one, regardless.

I should have mentioned that the cuts info came from Jenz's www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com excellent Asian movie site - he's being fed info updates from a source on the inside.

What a great film this is. Action, violence and sincerity with a thinking edge. This is a repeat viewer. The only thing I don't care for is the syrupie strings for a couple of the 'sad' moments but then many Jap'/Chinese films lend themselves to this suffering at woeful/romantic moments. there is however some more bracing and recognisable classic inserts which fit well with the action and drama. Also there are adept sprinklings of dark humour which maintain bite in the stark setting of the school children's last educational brief.
The characters are lively (though briefly in the main!) and very well acted. Of course the story is absurd but then the reasoning of youth losing faith in adults and vice versa is enough to spear this through. And I recall the fine season of Channel 4 documentaries on the severity of rising youth crime and the nation's fear, confusion and outrage over what was/is to be done.
I took a look at some of the extras and the director tells of how he was fifteen (the kids are suppose to be 15-16) and WWII was going on. He and his classmates were consigned to helping at a munitions factory and it got shelled one day. The only place they could shelter was under the bodies of the dead. After the barrage, the children had to help clean up the severed limbs and bodies. He goes on to say that since then he lost faith in adults, the war and it's supposed method for peace. The book's story is one of teenagers who've done the former and adults reaction is to construct Battle Royale as a means for remoulding the youth. The film portrays well the fragile nature of 'humanity' and how easily it can be 'justified' away by adults or children at any given time.
There are several short doc's, press bits and trailers and the making of bits, so all in all well worth dropping a few on the virtual or actual counter;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom