Battle Royale (2000) Limited Edition 4K UHD

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Links: Amazon.co.uk - Arrow - HMV - Zavvi

Special Edition: Amazon.co.uk - Arrow - HMV - Zavvi

Standard Edition: Amazon.co.uk - HMV -

Release date: 26/04/2021 (Special Edition: 22/11/2021) (Standard Edition: 19/06/2023)

BR_LE_4K.jpg

BR_LE_4K (contents).jpg

4K ULTRA HD LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
  • Brand new 4K restoration of the Original Theatrical Version and Special Edition Director’s Cut of Battle Royale from the original camera negative by Arrow Films, approved by Kenta Fukasaku
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation of both versions of Battle Royale in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Battle Royale II: Requiem theatrical cut and the Battle Royale II: Revenge extended cut
  • Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Original soundtrack CD for Battle Royale [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Kinji Fukasaku: Man of Rage, an exclusive 120-page monograph on the director by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new essays by Matt Alt and Anne Billson and archival articles
  • Exclusive Battle Royale collectors’ Trump Card set [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Reversible poster with new artwork [Limited Edition Exclusive]
DISC ONE – BATTLE ROYALE: ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION (4K UHD BLU-RAY)
  • Brand new audio commentary by critics Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
  • Battle Royale at 20: Back to School, an exclusive new 42-minute documentary about the legacy of Battle Royale
  • Bloody Education: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale, a brand new exclusive interview with the film’s producer and screenwriter
  • The Making of Battle Royale: The Experience of 42 High School Students, documentary featuring footage from the shooting of the film and cast and crew discussions
  • The Slaughter of 42 High School Students, a look behind the scenes of the shoot
  • Behind the scenes footage with comments from the cast and crew
  • Filming on Set, a look at the shooting of key scenes from the film
  • Conducting Battle Royale with the Warsaw National Philharmonic, archive footage of Masamichi Amano conducting the soundtrack rehearsal
DISC TWO – BATTLE ROYALE: SPECIAL EDITION DIRECTOR’S CUT (4K UHD BLU-RAY)
  • Shooting the Special Edition, on-location featurette with footage of the cast and crew reuniting for the shoot of the Special Edition
  • Royale Rehearsals, featurette on Kinji Fukasaku directing the film’s young cast
  • Masamichi Amano Conducts Battle Royale, archive featurette
  • Takeshi Kitano Interview, filmed on location with the Japanese star
  • The Correct Way to Fight in Battle Royale, instructional video explaining the rules of the game
  • The Correct Way to Make 'Battle Royale': Birthday Version, a new version of the original instructional video made to celebrate Kinji Fukasaku’s birthday
  • Premiere Press Conference, preceding the film’s first public screening
  • Tokyo International Film Festival Presentation, with footage from the gala screening at the Tokyo International Film Festival
  • Opening Day at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre, archive footage of the Japanese opening
  • Special Effects Comparison showing how the film’s violent killings were created
  • Original Trailers and TV spots
  • Kinji Fukasaku trailer reel, a collection of original trailers for Fukasaku’s classic yakuza films from the 70s
  • Image Gallery
DISC THREE – BATTLE ROYALE II: REQUIEM (BLU-RAY)
  • Bloody Graduation: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale II, an exclusive brand new interview with the director and screenwriter of Battle Royale II
  • Behind the Scenes of Battle Royale II, on-location featurette during the film’s shoot
  • Rehearsals footage of the auditions and pre-production rehearsals
  • War and Struggle, featurette of the cast discussing their thoughts on war
  • Alternate Piano Scene
  • The Recording of the Music Score, archive footage of Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Opening Gala with The Orchestra, featuring a public introduction by the director and main cast
  • Battle Royale II Premiere, a featurette on the film’s first screening at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre
  • Trailers and TV spots
  • Image gallery
DISC FOUR – BATTLE ROYALE II: REVENGE (BLU-RAY)
  • A Tribute to Kinji Fukasaku, featuring scenes of Kinji Fukasaku on the location of Battle Royale II
  • Kinji Fukasaku's 73rd Birthday: A Speech by Kenta Fukasaku, paying public tribute to his father
DISC FIVE – BATTLE ROYALE (SOUNDTRACK CD)
  • CD featuring the complete score to Battle Royale by Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

Special Edition:
BR_4K (standard).jpg

BR_4K (standard_packshot).jpg

4K ULTRA-HD SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• 4K restoration of the Original Theatrical Version and Special Edition Director’s Cut of Battle Royale from the original camera negative by Arrow Films, approved by Kenta Fukasaku
• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation of both versions in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
• Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio on both cuts
• Optional English subtitles on both cuts
• Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring essays by Matt Alt and Anne Billson

DISC ONE – BATTLE ROYALE: ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION:

• Audio commentary by critics Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
• Coming of Age: Battle Royale at 20, a 42-minute documentary about the legacy of Battle Royale • Bloody Education: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale, an interview with the film’s producer and screenwriter
• The Making of Battle Royale: The Experience of 42 High School Students, documentary featuring footage from the shooting of the film and cast and crew discussions
• The Slaughter of 42 High School Students, a look behind the scenes of the shoot
• Behind the scenes footage with comments from the cast and crew
• Filming on Set, a look at the shooting of key scenes from the film
• Conducting Battle Royale with the Warsaw National Philharmonic, archive footage of Masamichi Amano conducting the soundtrack rehearsal

DISC TWO – BATTLE ROYALE: SPECIAL EDITION DIRECTOR’S CUT:

• Shooting the Special Edition, on-location featurette with footage of the cast and crew reuniting for the shoot of the Special Edition
• Royale Rehearsals, featurette on Kinji Fukasaku directing the film’s young cast
• Masamichi Amano Conducts Battle Royale, archive featurette
• Takeshi Kitano Interview, filmed on location with the Japanese star
• The Correct Way to Fight in Battle Royale, instructional video explaining the rules of the game
• The Correct Way to Make ‘Battle Royale’: Birthday Version, a new version of the original instructional video made to celebrate Kinji Fukasaku’s birthday
• Premiere Press Conference, preceding the film’s first public screening
• Tokyo International Film Festival Presentation, With footage from the gala screening at the Tokyo International Film Festival
• Opening Day at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre, archive footage of the Japanese opening
• Special Effects Comparison showing how the film’s violent killings were created
• Original Trailers and TV spots
• Kinji Fukasaku trailer reel, a collection of original trailers for Fukasaku’s classic yakuza films from the 70s
• Image gallery

Standard Edition:
BR_4K (Standard).jpg

Attachments

• BR_4K (standard_reverse slip).jpg
    BR_4K (standard_reverse slip).jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
All over this like a strong moss
One of my favourite films ever...just wish the Zavvi Welcome code worked for it lol

Neil

Just beautiful. Great news

Did anybody else notice the price drop on this ??

When I added it to my basket it was showing as £64.99
When I logged in & went to checkout it had dropped to £59.99

Neil

Did anybody else notice the price drop on this ??

When I added it to my basket it was showing as £64.99
When I logged in & went to checkout it had dropped to £59.99

Neil

Yes the price did drop on Zavvi. At the higher price, I cancelled and ordered from HMV. Looked again and it had dropped.

Struth another premium release with a premium price.

It’s like Laserdisc all over again :rotfl:

I’ve ordered but my god I’ve bought this so many times. I bought the big blu set and the steel so think it’s time to sell these to help fund this one. Both are fantastic with the steel fully embossed and the other set has so much in it
94A972D0-3189-4FF9-B1D4-4935AB9FBB5C.jpeg

Same here,now again :)

to be fair the Blu-ray is actually really decent. It quite often hits over 30 sometimes 40Mbps which is amazing for 1080p. I’m intrigued as to what the UHD will do because there’s plenty of scenes that should look spectacular with HDR.

I was under the impression that the Blu-ray had a woeful transfer hence why I never picked it up.
The Arrow release really decent. Watched it last night again. It’s a wee bit inconsistent but in the main quite impressive.

the older Tartan DVD release was awful.

Amazon reduced price to £59.99 in line with others now.
I really wanted to go with the Arrow shop but their delivery puts it up nearly an extra fiver.

I recently sold the Blu ray set for just shy of £40 in anticipation of this so not such a sting.

Now down to £54.99 at Zavvi.

I'm holding out. For every 5 people that buy it, they're going to drop it £5. I reckon if enough of you guys preorder it they'll eventually send it to me for free.

I was under the impression that the Blu-ray had a woeful transfer hence why I never picked it up.
Yeah, it's rubbish and this release will hopefully poop on it from a great height.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom