Battle Royale Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Mark Botwright, 13th December 2010.
Battle Royale is an action film in the mould of the best Kinji Fukasaku had to offer. It was at once thrilling, twisted and brutal yet maintained a moral and a thread of humanity throughout. Some of the imagery is iconic, the score is evocative and the combination of the two against a background of innocence lost combines to make an extremely powerful film.

The set of three discs (two region free Blu-rays and one DVD) from Arrow Films and Cult Labs represents a fine addition to the Blu-ray format. The Picture may not be the revolutionary transfer many had been secretly hoping for, but the impressive audio and cornucopia of extras more than make up for any perceived shortfalls in this area.

Limited to a run of ten thousand, these will likely go quickly, so if you’re still making you’re mind up, don’t wait too long!

Read the full review...

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Great review. Not expecting miracles with PQ, but what a set and undoubtedly the best this classic has to offer. And all these extra goodies. Just need it to arrive !!!!!!!

Guyver99

Mine arrived this morning at work. I just want to go home now and watch them :D Been looking forward to these coming to Blu-Ray for some time.

phorenzik

Mine arrived today from Play.com
Packaged very poorly in a flimsy jiffy bag.
3 of the outer box's corners are severely crushed inwards.

Gonna watch it tonight and order from Amazon in future.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Mine arrived today from Play.com
Packaged very poorly in a flimsy jiffy bag.
3 of the outer box's corners are severely crushed inwards.

Gonna watch it tonight and order from Amazon in future.
+1 for ditching Play.com. In the last year or so, their delivery service and quality has been appalling. Mate got GT5 one day after it was sent from Amazon ( and day before release ). For me, Play took 6 days!

Anyways, love this film and so will be picking this up for sure over Christmas. Only only Hard Boiled will get the same treatment.....I doubt it will.

Great review as always.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Great review and one I'm looking forward to watching again after all these years. I tried watching it a couple of months ago on DVD but the transfer was so awful I switched it off within a couple of minutes as I'd heard this was coming along.

What's the difference between the theatrical and directors cut?

Berties

Banned
My Limited box came today from play, in ajiffy bag but luckily no dents. Play should send the larger items in boxes.

DarkEntity

Funny, my box sets etc from Play always come in the same cardboard packaging that Amazon use. I only usually get jiffy bags for single disks etc...Alien Quadrilogy etc were rather well protected.

dazprospect

Funny, my box sets etc from Play always come in the same cardboard packaging that Amazon use. I only usually get jiffy bags for single disks etc...Alien Quadrilogy etc were rather well protected.
+1

Mine arrived from play.com this morning also in the same folded cardboard packaging as amazon use.

DarkEntity

Got 2 single bluray from play yesterday both arrived separately in card packaging ala amazon. Looks like play have dropped the jiffy completely.

Top Bottom