Battle Royale 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I’m so looking forward to watching this. Hopefully arrive tomorrow

Hmmm I've already spent silly money on the 10 year special edition 3D disc, which looks great by the way.The old Arrow special edition Blu-ray is pretty decent, do I want to spend more silly money on this?

You're talking to the guy who often buys finished copies just for a pretty box to put the test discs in.

The sensible option would be to at least wait until this is a reasonable price (there'll be a Standard Edition somewhere down the line, surely?) and then take the plunge.

FWIW though, this 4K restoration blows the BD out of the water.

Awesome review of an awesome movie.

Just a shame that No.2 was so so bad.

You're talking to the guy who often buys finished copies just for a pretty box to put the test discs in.

The sensible option would be to at least wait until this is a reasonable price (there'll be a Standard Edition somewhere down the line, surely?) and then take the plunge.

FWIW though, this 4K restoration blows the BD out of the water.
Well I already have a pretty box because the only way I could get the 3D disc was to buy the Ultimate Edition boxset.

IMG_20210310_140654__01.jpg

Unfortunately it's all in German lol, but I had already found some subtitles which I edited and re-synced to match the special edition.

So unless I find a bargain, I'll wait for the standard edition :)

I bought the DVD tin thing with a print reel snip which is lurking around on a shelf somewhere. The novelty of holding it up like a negative strip ran out sharpish. All of which tells me to hold off until A Christmas Carol airs.
The days of films managing notoriety have dwindled considerably for violent content in specific settings and this at least holds one of those awards.
It's sad how violence from the horror realms has to typically have events tied to a gender, race or have 'undue' nudity to get a semblance of moral outrage/panic nowadays.

Hmmm I've already spent silly money on the 10 year special edition 3D disc, which looks great by the way.The old Arrow special edition Blu-ray is pretty decent, do I want to spend more silly money on this?

Is there English subs on the 3D?

Ooops....nevermind, you've already mentioned it.

Last edited:
Is there English subs on the 3D?

Ooops....nevermind, you've already mentioned it.
Yeah typical German edition. You can't find it anywhere else in the world and it only has German audio and text. I had the same issue with a couple of Hong Kong films I bought from Germany so I was "kind of" prepared when the same thing happened here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Promised myself i wouldn't splurge on this but i'm weakening...is Amazon at £59.99 the best price?

Sadly, ebay code PACK8 expired yesterday, or you could have had it for £55.19 from The Entertainment Store.

Has anybody’s Amazon order shipped ?

edit. - dispatched 👍

Last edited:
Ugh so tempted, but for once, I'm happy with a vanilla version of the first film. I'd splurge on this, but I already pre-ordered Zavvi's The Sting UHD Steelbook and Nova Dark Waters One-Click.

As a newbie.

Which version of the original film is best for the first watch?

And does it make the other redundant?

Love this film. I've bought many copies over the years, aside from the German 3D one, because of the lack of subtitles :)

I have it on order but - yikes - 60 quid. I'm hoping that this'll be the last time I have to buy it.

As a newbie.

Which version of the original film is best for the first watch?

And does it make the other redundant?
Theatrical then try the other 👍

My copy arrived today. Not had a chance to watch it yet, the Top Trumps cards are a nice touch.

Just watched the theatrical disc. Oh my it’s a thing of beauty. What a fantastic job they have done with this. It’s just wonderful. Picture quality boots the Blu-ray out the park and then some. The 5.1 track is well decent as well. It’s an expensive set granted.

My copy arrived today. Not had a chance to watch it yet, the Top Trumps cards are a nice touch.
Yep but they aren’t the most accessible to get to without train wrecking the packaging they are in. Surely they could of put them in a better slip case 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep but they aren’t the most accessible to get to without train wrecking the packaging they are in. Surely they could of put them in a better slip case 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah, with mine the internal tray was sort of stuck, fortunately the only harm done to my outer case is a slight impression on the flap.

It is a bit snug. I dare say the digi packaging will suffer through time :(

Love this film. I've bought many copies over the years, aside from the German 3D one, because of the lack of subtitles :)

I have it on order but - yikes - 60 quid. I'm hoping that this'll be the last time I have to buy it.
The German version looks great and also has the Japanese audio. But I will probably pick up the 4K version when the disc comes out by itself without the other stuff.

Oh and the 10 year anniversary set cost me about 60 quid just so that I could get the 3D disc. So you can imagine why I am hesitant to spend that amount again :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom