1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of the Planets - which DVDs to buy?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Bursar, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Loved this TV series when I was a kid, and happened to be browsing around WH Smiths yesterday when I noticed a double DVD pack containing 12 episodes.

Needless to say, Smiths wanted an arm and a leg for it. Play have it for a much more reasonable £9.

Now the question is, where can I get the rest of the episodes? Play also list a Vol2 DVD, but there isn't an episode listing, and I can't make anything out on the front cover that they show.

Some searching has revealed that there were 85 episodes all in, so there's plnety more DVDs in the series to collect.

Does anyone know if the other episodes are available in a similar format (double pack with lots on). Ideally I'd like to buy a matching set of them, so would like to avoid having to mix different region discs if I can.

2. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I used to watch it as a kid top program.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Was this the one with that cool (Blue & Red?) spaceship that turned into some sort of 'phoenix on fire'? Or was that something completely different?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got Vol 1 & 2 on R2 DVD and, while the pic quality is OK, the sound leaves a lot to be desired.

John

5. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Rasczak, yes it was :D

Johndon, Can't say I'm surprised really, as it's fairly old. Still, whack up that volume and I'm sure it'll be fine ;)

Looks like I'm going to have to splash out on it anyway. I'll figure out which DVDs to get later on :)

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Bursar,

Originally, this show was being released in single R2 DVD format. However, after distinctly low sales figures for Volume 1 (which contained just 5 episodes, episodes 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6) and missing episode 3 for some bizarre reason, Universal Playback Video releasing decided to temporarily suspend the title.

It was re-released in a red cardboard box style packaging, with 2 discs per volume, and all episodes in UK chronological order. Volume 1 and 2 came out, about a month apart, for about £12-99 (rrp) each, but with about 9 or 10 episodes each.

Sine then, Universal seem to have stopped releasing this show again, presumably due to low sales figures. As far as I now know, they are unlikely to release the remaining episodes.

However, the good news is, that over in the USA, they are releasing the show, and the original show it is taken from - Gatchaman. The DVD's usually contain 2 Battle Of The Planets episodes, as seen in the US and UK, with the robot character 7-Zark-7 being used to cover all the footage removed for violence and sexual content. (The bad guy, Zoltar, was actually a hemaphrodite in the Gatchaman series, but was turned into a standard bloke, for US chidlren. Some fairly overt material dealing with the sexual predilections of Mark and one of the other team members was also cut, as were almost all the violence!) On the same disc, they also include the full uncut Japanese Gatchaman episodes, as the Japanese originally saw them, complete and uncensored, but in Japanese DD 1.0 mono audio and English subtitles.

This may be more preferable to you. Just be aware that the US/UK series ran for 85 episodes, and the Japanese version ran to 52 episodes. For more expansive details, see:

http://www.akdreamer.com/botp/

Hope this is of interest to you. :)

Pooch

7. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    nice one Pooch I wondered why Zoltar wore lipstick !

Dave.