Battle of the oleds lol

jman67

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Was recently able to see a decent set up of some oleds performing side by side and had some questions if anyone was interested.... (These are just based on what I saw on this occasion)

The oleds were in order: Panasonic GZ2000, Panasonic GZ950, LG C9, LG B9, Sony AG9 and Sony AF9.

Please don't bite my head off over these, oleds are amazing and I know LG make all the panels.

1) Sony AG9 and Sony AF9 looked the same... like almost every detail on the screens were identical. Surely there should be some difference? The AG9 has a newer processor in it so I expected noticably better. The Sony's were also (really) dim compared to the LG, why? I was assured they were all in equivalent settings to one another. Admittedly the AG9 did show a noticeable difference during upscaling.

2) LG C9 and LG B9, just looked identical. Again they have different processors so was expecting a marked improvement. Whatever difference there is must be very subtle, I looked online and Vincent seemed to have the same attitude about the B9, seems a bit odd. Unless others have seen content on both where there's a noticeable difference?

3) From chatting with others a few felt the LGs were more prone to screen burn. BUT I don't see how they could be 😂. Are the brand's using different protection systems on their panels, where LG might not be caught up with yet? Or a case that desktop gamers are using LGs for 2.1 and then getting screen burn as a result?

4) The Panasonic GZ2000 just blew everything out of the water. I've never seen one performing so well (and I own one!). They ran some stills from amateur photographers and the amount of detail, the intricacy, it was just brilliant. Not a technical question but why aren't Panasonic screaming to high heaven about it with marketing like LG are about there oleds?

5) I know I'm in dangerous territory with this one, but side by side the GZ950 and C9, the C9 was 100 times more eye catching, but then the GZ950 was 100 times nicer to actually watch. The colours just seemed more normal to life where the C9 was maybe giving too much of a punch to them. But the more I watched the C9 the more I really began to dislike it's video processing, it didnt appear smooth or natural at all. I thought it might be because I was so used to my Panasonic's video processing, but then looking at the C9 and AG9 I found the AG9 to be much smoother and normal (but needed a squint from the dimness lol).

Last question (please tell my mother, father and girlfriend that I love them before the mob takes me 😂) but is the C9 maybe a bit over hyped?

As a matter of interest, I am wondering where you saw all of these, and how they were set up. In a showroom?

As a matter of interest, I am wondering where you saw all of these, and how they were set up. In a showroom?

It was part of a project at work and I really cant say any more than that on a public forum. The AV team were kind enough to give me details on what the connections and equipment they used were, I can post that later if you want?

The Sony's were also (really) dim compared to the LG, why? I was assured they were all in equivalent settings to one another.

How did you determine which were the equivalent brightness settings?

It was part of a project at work and I really cant say any more than that on a public forum. The AV team were kind enough to give me details on what the connections and equipment they used were, I can post that later if you want?

no worries I was really just interested in what the arrangement was. I guess it depends on whether each tv was really set up in its most accurate ootb settings, otherwise the playing field might not be very level. I have a gz950, and I really haven’t seen a huge difference in each of the 2018 / 2019 oled models from each of the big brands, when configured properly.
imho they all have their strengths but these are subtle.

If you really want to push these TVs to the limit don’t feed them a UHD signal. Feed them an SD one. The quality of the upscale picture will tell you how good the processing is. That should sort the men from the boys. And I’d love to see the look on faces when you walk in with a DVD case and not the latest, greatest offering on 4K. :D

If you really want to push these TVs to the limit don’t feed them a UHD signal. Feed them an SD one. The quality of the upscale picture will tell you how good the processing is. That should sort the men from the boys. And I’d love to see the look on faces when you walk in with a DVD case and not the latest, greatest offering on 4K. :D
Actually they went for something slightly cooler... Video player!

Actually they went for something slightly cooler... Video player!
Interesting. Thousands of pounds of TVs and you used a video player for the source material.

Its academic anyway - the 2020 models will be a greater jump than any differences between 2019 brands.

Interesting. Thousands of pounds of TVs and you used a video player for the source material.
Not me personally. The people running this particular project used a Daewoo video player, a Sony X800 and a freeview box. Whatever systems the tv's would have to integrate with the company were used in simplicity.

no worries I was really just interested in what the arrangement was. I guess it depends on whether each tv was really set up in its most accurate ootb settings, otherwise the playing field might not be very level. I have a gz950, and I really haven’t seen a huge difference in each of the 2018 / 2019 oled models from each of the big brands, when configured properly.
imho they all have their strengths but these are subtle.
Sony X800, Humax FVP 500 and a Daewoo SV737 interchanged via Bluestream 4k HDMI splitter and each with 10m Pixelgen HDMI cabling- x2 5m cables with Pixelgen extenders. A range of different adapters, powered and unpowered, for analogue to digital (Scart to HDMI).

That's what the guy wrote down and they were all set to home mode in the varying equivalents of "normal" presents.

@jman67 , where did the upscaling take place? On the TVs or the source player? With a cheap player and expensive TV the upscaling is best done by the TV as it will have higher quality components. That is something for everyone to consider, not just those in your test.

Sony X800, Humax FVP 500 and a Daewoo SV737 interchanged via Bluestream 4k HDMI splitter and each with 10m Pixelgen HDMI cabling- x2 5m cables with Pixelgen extenders. A range of different adapters, powered and unpowered, for analogue to digital (Scart to HDMI).

That's what the guy wrote down and they were all set to home mode in the varying equivalents of "normal" presents.
Normal preset is so varied between manufacturers, the comparison would have been better if all tv's were set to their most accurate one of cinema/isf etc.
No wonder they looked so different to each other.

@jman67 , where did the upscaling take place? On the TVs or the source player? With a cheap player and expensive TV the upscaling is best done by the TV as it will have higher quality components. That is something for everyone to consider, not just those in your test.
When I was looking any upscaling was being done by the tvs but they said they were swapping it to the media sources later but area was closed off at that point. Remember this wasn't my test alot of stuff I would have wanted to try with them if it was having a play

Normal preset is so varied between manufacturers, the comparison would have been better if all tv's were set to their most accurate one of cinema/isf etc.
No wonder they looked so different to each other.
They were trying a range of settings but that was part of their project. I was only in when they were letting people have a look

When I was looking any upscaling was being done by the tvs but they said they were swapping it to the media sources later but area was closed off at that point. Remember this wasn't my test alot of stuff I would have wanted to try with them if it was having a play
Okay, thanks. Can't add any more to this.

Hi all

Was recently able to see a decent set up of some oleds performing side by side and had some questions if anyone was interested.... (These are just based on what I saw on this occasion)

The oleds were in order: Panasonic GZ2000, Panasonic GZ950, LG C9, LG B9, Sony AG9 and Sony AF9.

Please don't bite my head off over these, oleds are amazing and I know LG make all the panels.

1) Sony AG9 and Sony AF9 looked the same... like almost every detail on the screens were identical. Surely there should be some difference? The AG9 has a newer processor in it so I expected noticably better. The Sony's were also (really) dim compared to the LG, why? I was assured they were all in equivalent settings to one another. Admittedly the AG9 did show a noticeable difference during upscaling.

2) LG C9 and LG B9, just looked identical. Again they have different processors so was expecting a marked improvement. Whatever difference there is must be very subtle, I looked online and Vincent seemed to have the same attitude about the B9, seems a bit odd. Unless others have seen content on both where there's a noticeable difference?

3) From chatting with others a few felt the LGs were more prone to screen burn. BUT I don't see how they could be 😂. Are the brand's using different protection systems on their panels, where LG might not be caught up with yet? Or a case that desktop gamers are using LGs for 2.1 and then getting screen burn as a result?

4) The Panasonic GZ2000 just blew everything out of the water. I've never seen one performing so well (and I own one!). They ran some stills from amateur photographers and the amount of detail, the intricacy, it was just brilliant. Not a technical question but why aren't Panasonic screaming to high heaven about it with marketing like LG are about there oleds?

5) I know I'm in dangerous territory with this one, but side by side the GZ950 and C9, the C9 was 100 times more eye catching, but then the GZ950 was 100 times nicer to actually watch. The colours just seemed more normal to life where the C9 was maybe giving too much of a punch to them. But the more I watched the C9 the more I really began to dislike it's video processing, it didnt appear smooth or natural at all. I thought it might be because I was so used to my Panasonic's video processing, but then looking at the C9 and AG9 I found the AG9 to be much smoother and normal (but needed a squint from the dimness lol).

Last question (please tell my mother, father and girlfriend that I love them before the mob takes me 😂) but is the C9 maybe a bit over hyped?
Regarding the processors - I doubt that there is much difference between successive generations of the same model of processor. Unless they add specific features and you watch clips that make use of these specific features I would not expect to see a difference between two sets that only differed by processor. For example, LGs C9 processor has improved decontouring of colour bands - but unless you watch a clip that shows up colour banding you will not notice a difference.

Also there do not seem to be any changes in the standard LG panels between 2019 and 2018. So overall it is not surprising that an AF9 looked very similar to an AG9.

Interesting that you thought the GZ2000 was significantly better as it is the only one with a different panel to the others.

Differences in brightness could be down to each manufacturers ABL (absolute brightness limiting)

For example, the GZ2000 can go much brighter than the others and can sustain brightness as the area of a bright object increases. There is speculation that the custom Panasonic OLED panels made by LG have better cooling. Flatpanels HD noted that the Panasonic panels were cooler and did not exhibit temporary image retention when displaying HDR test patterns - unlike all other OLEDs. This may indicate that the Panasonic panel is less susceptible to burn-in.

Here is a comparison of the GZ2000, C9 and Sony AG9 peak brightness and how it changes as the size of the bright area increases:

GZ2000
1578394677934.png

C9
1578394901333.png

Sony AG9
1578394913751.png

If the new Panasonic HZ2000 announced at CES this week includes HDMI 2.1 as well as the custom Panasonic OLED panel then it could be a great option.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom