Battle Of Britain. Special Edition

Tardis

Established Member
Reaction score
Play are now shipping: Battle Of Britain. Special Edition. :smashin:

Should get mine in a couple days. :clap:

Do you know whether it has the full Walton score?

And I think I read somewhere that previous DVD versions had cuts. My now aging brain seems to remember that the first scene should be the British & German ambassadors (somebody help me here please) and that it had been cut?

I remember seeing it in the cinema when it first came out!

Arriving on a new two-disc special edition DVD with restored picture and sound it also includes, for the first time, Sir William Walton’s original score, which was composed and then not used in its entirety on the final film…until now.

Sir William Walton composed the original music for the 1969 classic production but it is thought that the brevity of his score was a determining factor in its rejection by the studios. Instead, the studios commissioned the composer Ron Goodwin to write a new score for the film. The only piece of Walton’s score used in its entirety in the film was the famous Battle in the Air sequence.

The recording of the original Walton score was then lost for many years until the assistant music editor Timothy Gee, one of the last surviving crew members, decided to track it down. He has subsequently told us how disappointed the director; cast and crew were that the film would not be seen with the Walton score.

Miraculously the score, made up from three reels, was recovered in recording engineer Eric Tomlinson’s damp garage where it had been stored until 1990.

Gee then worked closely with MGM to restore Walton’s soundtrack to its original glory in time for the Special Edition releases, and now for the very first time it can be watched and enjoyed with Walton’s stirring score.

This very special release should bring pleasure to admirers of the work of Goodwin and Walton and quality film music in general.

The 2-disc Special Edition DVD release includes the following extras:
Recollections of an R.A.F Squadron Leader featurette
Authenticity in the Air featurette
Battle For The Battle Of Britain documentary
Images From The Sky animated photo gallery
Audio Commentary by director Guy Hamilton, Bernard Williams and Paul Annet
Original Theatrical Trailer
William Walton Score in 5.1 DTS

Hope this helps!

Got it this afternoon and just watched it. Also got A Bridge Too Far to watch to-night.
Battle Of Britain is superb. Great job on sound and picture remastering and on a big screen it's brill.

Panic

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom