Battle Beyond the Stars Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Jul 17, 2011.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +443
      Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 17th July 2011.
      Another winner from Shout Factory provides Corman fans with one of their Holy Grails of cheap and cheerful exploitation. Their release is typically impressive and presents the film looking the best that I've ever seen it, and sounding great too.

Personally, I'd love to recommend Battle Beyond The Stars to all those who love their SF adventure yarns, but I know that, like many of the uber-producer's movies, they simply aren't to everyone's taste. I played this for my son who adores the genre and, like me, understands and loves the simultaneous limitations and charm of older films, but he didn't warm to this at all. He thought it tacky, stupid and badly made. Well, this opinion was rife back when the film came out too … and I'm sure that it will find newer viewers much harder to please again. Incidentally, he didn't accuse it of being a Star Wars rip-off, which is a label that far too many critics seem too happy to saddle it with. It is a space-born take on Seven Samurai, and all Star Wars did was fuel Roger Corman's desire to set a movie in the cosmos and have laser beams flashing about all over the screen.

Well I loved it all back then, and I still love it now. But then I'm a massive fan of the Corman stable, and I loved the genuine Star Wars riffs that came out at the time – such as The Humanoid and Starcrash. But Battle Beyond The Stars is terrific fun from start to finish. It has its tongue in its cheek and it plays out like an expanded episode of Lost In Space or Buck Rogers, a sort of greatest hits compilation of set-pieces and scenarios from a very inventive era in SF, if you like. And who doesn't love a “boobie-ship” and a buxom Valkyrie intent on “going down” in glory? Or seeing John Saxon's freshly grafted-on limbs attempting to murder him? Or John-boy Walton fighting mutants in outer space?

It's Battle Beyond The Stars on Blu-ray … and, for some people, that's several shades of awesome.

Read the full review...

2. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,051
      Absolutely spot on with this review. I loved this movie when i was a kid and can still remember most of it. Fully intend to buy this on blu ray at some point.:smashin: