Question Battery status on MBA

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by PumpingtonSteel, Dec 12, 2018.

1. PumpingtonSteel

PumpingtonSteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've had this MBA 11 for around 5 years. Current max charge is approx 81% after 789 cycles.
    The major issue I have is recently when I'm running off battery and I've opened a browser, the laptop has shut down within approx 10 seconds. Won't power up (battery charge symbol). I plug it in, turn it on, then can remove the charger. This happens even if the battery is 95%!
    As I travel with the laptop, I have noticed several times that this is when the laptop is cold (e.g. if it's been in the car for half the day during recent coldish weather 0-5º, i.e. metal cold to the touch). Also I do generally have a lot of tabs open, which I believe may cause a spike in energy demand and cause the shutdown?
    I did have a similar problem with my 15 MBP in the past but it was under warranty and replaced for free.

I'm loath to spending £129 on a battery replacement. Can anyone spot the reason for the issue or suggest some options (e.g. settings, alternative to official apple battery replacement etc)
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    7 year old laptop that battery will be knackered and need replacing.

Look up your model on ifixit.com to see a replacement guide and eBay.co.uk or Amazon for a third party cheaper battery replacement.

Look for a seller with good sales numbers and feedback.

Apple battery is probably the best quality but as you say the price is high.

3. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Ahh just realised you mean 11” MBA not a 2011 you’ve had 5 years. Even so I’d suspect batteries at the end of its life.

There’s battery health apps in the Mac Store or the free version of Coconut Battery might reveal more about its current state.

4. PumpingtonSteel

PumpingtonSteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    thanks for the answers
    i posted the results from a similar app, battery health
    it's down to 81% health, which i'm fine with because it's had a good innings
    the major issue was the powering down/not powering up
    i've sinced tried a few things and think i've isolated it to the cold weather. the same programs/browsers open in ambient indoor temperatures

i had a look at the ifixit. i'm not overly confident tinkering, and with the quality of battery being better from apple, i shall probably be looking to go for the £129 replacement eventually