Battery question

Lee

Reaction score
I need a new battery and the one I have says 4400mAh. The one i'm looking to buy says 4800mAh. Will this difference be a problem?

All other specs are the same.

Thanks

mAh is purely capacity, so it will not cause any issue :)

To elaborate further (may not be required, but might!) when Iccz says capacity, he means that the battery will last longer.

Ideally whenever you choose a battery, price notwithstanding, you should always go for the highest AH (Amp/Hour):smashin:

Thanks both, that's excellent :smashin:

I went for a cheap high mAh battery for my phone and it was terrible.
Worth buying branded or at least ones with good reviews as cheap batteries are generally rubbish.

ive got a cheap battery for my laptop and its great cost £20 and its 2 years old now and i still get over 6 hours charge out of it. so sometimes cheap is good

The mAh is the maximum storage capacity, but batteries don't have information of their natural 'leakage' rate, so while a higher mAh means a battery fully charged has more energy it might not last longer is real world use.

I guess its a case of you get what you pay for, so go branded is probably best.

Also remember cheap knock off batteries have caused problems like exploding in foreign countries (China/India) although never heard of any issues in the UK*.

* Maybe because Lithium batteries are very sensitive to high and low temperatures and the UK doesn't reach extremes.

ive got a cheap battery for my laptop and its great cost £20 and its 2 years old now and i still get over 6 hours charge out of it. so sometimes cheap is good

The thing with laptop batterys is to ensure they are not always plugged in as it brings the charge down until it wont do it anymore. Just encase you never knew :smashin:

The thing with laptop batterys is to ensure they are not always plugged in as it brings the charge down until it wont do it anymore. Just encase you never knew :smashin:

Actually that's not true these days, it's more so heat that causes batteries to wear. My netbook is over 5 years old and has been pretty much plugged in since the day I got it and the capacity is reading 51,332 mWh with a 7.1% wear of 55,272 mWh.

For some batteries letting them discharge is the worse thing you can do and you are better off having them plugged in as much as possible.

The further a battery drains (depth of discharge) and the more frequent this occurs, the shorter the decent life of the battery will be.

Actually that's not true these days, it's more so heat that causes batteries to wear. My netbook is over 5 years old and has been pretty much plugged in since the day I got it and the capacity is reading 51,332 mWh with a 7.1% wear of 55,272 mWh.

I've found that keeping the laptop plugged in whenever possible meant it lasted longer.
I've had 2 identical dell laptops, both got the same amount of use. One was always plugged into the mains and the other mostly ran off the battery, for the latter the battery was useless within a little over a year, the laptop that remained plugged in still charges to 93% of it's original capacity after 4 years.

What is a good way to test how long a mAh battery will last on a single charge ? i have nothing that will run the batteries down quickly.

It is true :D but maybe not for all laptops. Ive had my fair amount in the past and with a lot of research, leaving the power cable in has a "higher" chance of ruining your battery - that sound abit better :)

Not the best source but the quickest example I could find...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121001015935AAmfO4p

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true :D but maybe not for all laptops. Ive had my fair amount in the past and with a lot of research, leaving the power cable in has a "higher" chance of ruining your battery - that sound abit better :)

Not the best source but the quickest example I could find...

Will leaving my power cord on my laptop constantly reduce how long it stays charged without it? - Yahoo! Answers

Yeah I agree it is, not for all laptops, which is why I said these days it's not so much so these days as batteries have changed - so 9 times out of 10 you'll find no issue - it's just one of them things from past issues which has left people confused.
In the past when laptops didn't use LI-ION batteries there was an issue with the memory effect on charges and it was advised that you ran the battery fully down and up rather than doing top-ups. But because of how LI-ION batteries work it's generally heat which is the killer on them.

There's some info on here:
Li-Ion vs. NiMH Laptop Batteries | eHow.com

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom