1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery power in a TRV950e

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by classybird, Feb 7, 2005.

1. classybird

classybird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am buying a second hand Sony TRV 950e mini dv camcorder. The chap I'm buying from has said that he hasn't used the camera in about a year, so the battery has gone flat. He also says that if the battery doesn't re-charge fully then he'll reduce the price accordingly. I'm slightly confused.

Firstly, will the lack of use have affected the battery power?

Can I easily replace the battery if this is the case?

How much should I ask for the camera to be reduced by?

Cheers all.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The battery should actually be ok, by all means test it, the standard battery should take about an hour & 1/2 to charge and should give you about 45 minutes recording time with the LCD screen in use, assuming normal stop/start recording and reasonable zoom use.

If the battery is dud then you would be looking at £55 to buy a replacement standard battery (M-type) although you should probably take the opportunity to buy a longer life battery for about £80-£90.

If the camera hasn't been used for a while you will want to run a tape through it and have a look down the lens for mould,if there are any light lines that look like frost or hairs around the edge of the lens then knock it back.

Now, your camera uses two batterys, a small coin lithium battery to charge the clock & other settings (so that you don't have to reset the camera every time you change the battery) and the bigger power source which slots onto the back of the camcorder.

Check the the time and date work, if not, ask the vendor to replace the memory battery.

Good luck

Paul

3. classybird

classybird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your help Paul, really most appreciated!

When I run a tape through it would it be ok to check the tape results on the LCD of the camera itself or should I look at them via a TV monitor?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The LCD will be fine for showing up noise bars etc across the picture, but a TV screen will show up breaking up of the picture a lot more than on a very small LCD screen. I would therefore suggest connecting it to a TV if possible, but the LCD will show the worst of any head damage if that is the only option.

Mark.

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    connecting it to a telly is a better idea if you can, apart from what mark said, any audio problems will become apparant and it will at least check that the av-ouput is working, although the most essential connection to check is the firewire for in and output.

It's not an easy thing to do, but there are so many things that can go wrong with a camcorder that it's worth checking all you can.

Are you buying it off a mate or a dealer (a mate should allow you a couple of days with it to check it out, in contrast an dealer should offer at least a 3 month guarantee)?

the important thing to ask is do you trust the seller? and if things were to go wrong, whats your comeback? if you are buying from a dealer you might get an even longer guarantee if you buy it with a credit card.

if itis a private seller, get more than their mobile number, maybe even collect the cam from their house, and get a reciept which confirms that the camera is being sold in working order.