Battery life on iOS4

mbren26

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone battery life is like with the new OS.

PRIOR to installing it my 3GS battery life was APPAULING (OS 3.1.3) I had to charge it through the day sometimes depending on use, but if i managed to get a day out of it it would be at 20% or less by the end of the day and need charging overnight.

SINCE upgrading it has been simply awesome! I unplugged it at 0540 this morning have used it just as much as i always do, several txts, quite a bit of internet surfing on 3g etc, at the time of writing my battery level is 78% I cant believe the difference upgrading the OS has made.

How is everyone else finding battery life since the upgrade?

I can't answer your question as I only upgraded the new OS this afternoon, but I was wondering if you are leaving all the apps you have used running in the background or if you are closing them all fully (via a double click on the home button to see running apps then close them by touching them one by one.) as I'd be even more impressed with your battery life extension if it is with lots of apps running in the background.

Unless of course they do not use any power at all when in the background. In which case please ignore all of the above.

I can't answer your question as I only upgraded the new OS this afternoon, but I was wondering if you are leaving all the apps you have used running in the background or if you are closing them all fully (via a double click on the home button to see running apps then close them by touching them one by one.) as I'd be even more impressed with your battery life extension if it is with lots of apps running in the background.

Unless of course they do not use any power at all when in the background. In which case please ignore all of the above.

At the minute i have been closing them down. I will leave then open from now and see what effect it has and report back.

Im glad someone else noticed this as my 3gs used to last approx 12-14 hrs before it reached 10% (with a fair bit of use) now on iso4 its done 14hrs and still on 67%.

I thought it was a one off yesterday but just as frugal today with multitasking etc

Im glad someone else noticed this as my 3gs used to last approx 12-14 hrs before it reached 10% (with a fair bit of use) now on iso4 its done 14hrs and still on 67%.

I thought it was a one off yesterday but just as frugal today with multitasking etc

not just me then :thumbsup:

My 3GS used to last as long as 14hrs with over 50% left anyway. Big deal.

My 3GS used to last as long as 14hrs with over 50% left anyway. Big deal.

Whilst I am pleased for you there are a lot of people out there whose 3gs struggle to last a day like mine did. This was widely reported online. You may not notice any increase in abttery life since upgrading (you jay even notice a decrease!) but please please please dont ruin my moment!!!! i am happy!:laugh:

Well i obvously use mine more than you, less of the attitude

Clearly a troll, look at their other posts. Don't feed.

Battery life for me has been terrible since upgrade but I assume this is down to running two exchange accounts (gmail and work).

Charged overnight as normal, plugged into car radio on way to work. Was at about 90% at lunchtime with very modest use, quite a few emails and calendar reminders.

Left work it was 40% again after very modest use.

Phone connects via wifi at work and home too.

It's at 35% now after 2 short charges in the car and syncing with my laptop.

Battery life for me has been terrible since upgrade but I assume this is down to running two exchange accounts (gmail and work).

Charged overnight as normal, plugged into car radio on way to work. Was at about 90% at lunchtime with very modest use, quite a few emails and calendar reminders.

Left work it was 40% again after very modest use.

Phone connects via wifi at work and home too.

It's at 35% now after 2 short charges in the car and syncing with my laptop.

Sounds like what m,ine used to be like prior to upgrading!

Ive noticed my battery life is better today on my 3gs aswell, need a few more days of use to work out how much better it is. Good news tho

My battery life has been better on my 3G since getting the new OS.

Hopefully getting the iPhone 4 tomorrow

Battery much better on my 3GS. Usually by 1pm my battery would be around 70% after charging all night until about 8am.
Today, this very moment 9:21pm my battery is only 72% :D

Theres no question IOS4 improves the battery no end on the 3GS, i would say by about 20%

Thats great news for our new iPhone 4's tmw as we might get a full day of playing on 1 charge :clap::clap::clap:

I have yet to see any improvement to be honest and it may actually seem worse to be quite honest. I know the battery isnt the best on the iphone on os3, so surely if multi tasking it has to take a hit unless they just suspend, ie go to sleep/hibernate. Is there any links to an official site with proper tests done on the battery yet?

That's my experience as well after the upgrade. I get a fair few emails on my work Exchange account each day and that is simply murdering the battery (at least that's what I think the reason is for the sharp dip in battery performance).

Cheers
HighPriest

I have notice battery was poor after the first night on ios4 but I think it was because I had left tomtom running in the background, there are certain apps that will use the GPS when running in the background.

The battery life on my 3gS 16GB also seems to have improved after iOS4 upgrade 2 days back. I play the shotgun game quite often and earlier after only 1 round it used to go down by atleast 5-6%. Now it went down only 1-2%. Cant say how long it lasts though as i have my iphone on the dock all day at work. :thumbsup:

I need to test mine further, but I think mine is showing a decrease :( - and I am remembering to kill off any apps that are running in the background. I dont think I have done a full charge though, merely topping up since OS4, as I normally do have a full charge when I get in, leave it over night (as my alarm clock) and when I wake its at high 90's % still.

Got it charging at the moment, so will see when I am back at 100% once more.

Fore reference, my iPhone is approx 9 months old.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom