Battery life on Deezer twice as high as on Spotify

TOMillr

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been conducting some tests, comparing the power consumption of Spotify and Deezer on iOS. My findings are that

streaming music on Deezer can last up to twice as long as Spotify on a single battery charge.

My test were done on both an 6. gen iPod Touch and an iPad Air 2, both running the latest iOS version, screen turned off, wifi enabled and streaming quality set to the highest lossy settings.

For example, on my iPod touch I easily can stream music for over 32 hours before the battery runs dry. But Spotify barely manages to give me 16 hours under comparable conditions.

How is that even possible? Could it be caused by different audio codecs (mp3 vs. ogg vobis) both services use?

This could be different efficiencies, background app features or anything else. Did you compare the data usage?

Even if the different battery usage under the same or similar conditions were scientifically verifiable, does it matter? 16 hours to need a wall plug - that sounds long enough.

Yes, it does matter to me. I've went out and specifically spend top money to get an iPod Touch because of the 40+ hours battery life.

Get a battery pack then because I doubt Spotify will make their app more power efficient just for you. Any manufactures battery life estimates are to be taken with a pinch of salt because they test in the same way that cars are tested for mpg, the test is designed to create the least stress and maximise the number - Caveat Emptor.

Yes, it does matter to me. I've went out and specifically spend top money to get an iPod Touch because of the 40+ hours battery life.
It is feasible that that lifetime is quoted for playing music at moderate volume, from the internal memory,with wi fi and blue tooth disabled ,and the display mostly off. Once you require extra services, the power consumption rockets. That there would be a difference between two external services is puzzling. Could there have been a difference in the offerings? Low rate MP3 versus higher rate?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom