• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

battery life of TomTom 910?

kryten

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone can comment on the battery life of the 910 or any of the 510/710 (or even the One)?

Its claimed as 4 hours but I was wondering if that was a real life 4 hours (with Bluetooth on for example) or a 'best case if you're lucky' time?

I like the idea of the text to speech, especially for when I'm on my motorbike but that doesn't have a 12v socket plus my Elise is a little weedy in the voltage dept so i tend not to connect much to its power supply either. I just figured with a hard disk it might be a little optimistic on the estimate of how long it will work for.

I currently have an iPaq with external jacket so i get two batteries, plus an external bluetooth GPS with its own power but its a big hassle and i'd like to switch to an all in one unit.

Do the Garmin ones have a longer battery life??

Overall battery times isn't something I've found in many reviews as I assume most people connect them to the car power :(

per-Sony-fied

Established Member
I can confirm that for the 510 on a full charged battery you can expect a life of at least 4hrs. On a long round trip thats over the 4hr battery life where it is likely to get switched off prior to return for a few hrs or more and possibly for a stop on the journey for 1/2hr or more then you should expect 5hrs. I've managed 5+hrs.

A quick boost of 30mins or so from the car charger (while in use) will normally allow the unit to charge sufficiently for a further couple of hrs use.

Provided the unit is charged fully prior to a journey it should last for most journeys without the need for the car charger.

kryten

Established Member
Can noone comment on the battery life of the 910 without power?

As its hard drive based my concern is the battery life may be quite a bit lower than the 510

per-Sony-fied

Established Member
I've now got a 910 and while at present I have not used it to the same length of usage as the 510 I can say that I've taken it on a journey of over 2hrs with switch off during stopping points and it still had a good deal of battery life left. How much further it would have run before dying is something I can't say.

During it's usage it was purely used as navigation without using any fancy facility's like bluetooth or MP3 playing which would surely shorten it's life by some margin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom