battery life halved!

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by jayr6666, Jun 17, 2009.

1. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have an archos 705 wifi and just in the past month or so the battery life has dropped dramatically.It only lasts about an hour now and thats not with the wifi on or the backlight.Anyone else have this,do i need a new battery?Are there any compatible backs that give longer life?thanks.

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    You don't say how old the battery is or if you keep it mostly connected to the mains power, but it does sound like the battery is dying.

There are extended batteries available but they will add noticeably to the weight/size so think carefully before using one.

3. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks,mark.The battery is just over a year old and it is connected to the mains quite a lot,surely it shouldn't die this quickly?I may just get an original replacement.Have you any experience with the extended batteries i've read some where that they can split?

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I've seen one report of one battery splitting, I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Just over a year with it mostly connected to the mains can reduce battery life considerably, these LiPo cells do not like being kept fully charged and warm. On the other hand there are other reports around of the original batteries failing after around a year so it could just be bad luck.

I wouldn't regard an Archos original as being necessarily any better than an alternative supplier as they don't really have a great track-record for battery quality.

5. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    ok,cheers will bare all that in mind