Batman Returns Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Feb 2, 2009.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 2nd February 2009
      Batman Returns marked a turning point in the movie legacy of the Dark Knight, and can lay claim to being the most faithful rendition of Bob Kane’s creation thus far. Tim Burton’s interpretation visually assumes the role of a comic-book come to life, but retains the inherent darkness and gothic grandeur in which Batman’s crusade exists. It was the last great film the Caped Crusader appeared in, until Christian Bale donned the costume. But, whereas Bale made the Bat a living, breathing and altogether more tangible character, Keaton’s last foray in the cape and the cowl beautifully captured the baroque and frightening hinterland of Gotham’s alternate reality. I can’t quite forgive his unmasking in this, but his relationship with both Selina Kyle and Catwoman is absolutely perfect. Or should that be purr-fect?

This new Blu-ray certainly trounces the previous DVD incarnations in almost every way. The AV quality is magnificent – with the Bat’s Return never having looked or sounded better – but the extras still fall short of its mythic stature. There’s a lot of ground covered, but it just doesn’t seem to hit the right notes – more of a quick cat-scratch and penguin-peck than a full-on, comprehensive bat-swoop. As with the other BD releases of these older movies, it seems a shame that nothing new could have been added to the selection – I mean the franchise has been reborn and hearing how things were perceived back then now sounds a tad artificial and short-sighted without some form of historical context. But I still have no reservations in recommending this release as pretty much essential. Batman Forever had some merit – and probably for all the wrong reasons (erm, Nicole Kidman, who I've always, ahem, adored) – while Batman And Robin can only ever be thought of in terms of an extension to the newer and more vibrant “The Batman” animated show and should never be mentioned in the same breath as Keaton's films.

The Bat is enjoying a tremendous renaissance at the moment … do yourself a favour and join in the dark celebration.

Read the full review...

2. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Great review, but please for your own sanity stop there....