1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batman Box Set But Why

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Garrett, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,003
    I have been seeing the Batman Boxset in HMV for weeks at £14.99 but could see no info on the aspect ratio of the films. I knew there were some 4:3 out there of some of the films. So I stayed well clear of them also the last 2 are not much, the last being truly abysmal.
    This morning I got an e-mail from HMV with there offers and one was the said box set. On clicking on the pic it brought the details up and as I suspected the first one is in 4:3.
    It is totally beyond me why this is in 4:3 when they released the film on VHS in W/S.
    Is this a cockup on the printers like I was told they did with The Vikings and the first film is not 4:3 but 1.78:1?

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Batman was the first dvd I bought. It is in widescreen 1:85, and I am fairly certain it is anmorphic, I will check tonight . I doubt that it is a 4:3 release. probably just a printing error that no one has picked up on.

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    not a lot of point buying this when a Special edition box set is out next year

4. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    the original release of batman was one of the warners discs that stated the ratio was 4:3 iirc warners just got it wrong, the discs are in 16:9 or hmv are just using the old ones in a new box :blush: as i have seen the batman movies in amarays now, not sure if batman returns R2 is still cut but afaik forever still is

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should also mention the 4:3 version has an additional scene which was shown at the cinema and the 1:85:1 version is missing it for some strange reason, its at the end when Basinger is trying to distract the Joker and sniffing his flower thingy where the acid is, i also think Batman returns is still cut in the UK but Warners are planning a box set next year to coincide with the new Batman movie so hopefully the picture and sound quality will be improved.

I believe the original discs had 4:3 on one side and 1:85:1 on the other side of the disc.

6. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Batman is definitely 16.9 anamorphic - had the disc for ages - as are the other three. As far as I know Batman Returns is still cut (the scene missing is Catwoman putting aerosols into a microwave and switching it on, thereby setting off the explosion which happens a couple of minutes later - MEOW!) and Batman Forever has trims to many scenes. I bought the R1 versions of Returns/Forever because of this.

It's just a shame that Batman & Robin wasn't cut by about 120 mins! :D

As FoxyMulder says Warner are releasing a SE of Batman (and I believe Batman Returns) to coincide with the Nolan film next summer, so you may want to wait for them. There have also been rumours about a longer Dir Cut of Forever, but nothing confirmed yet.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I really hope that this one does get a release because apparently there is a fair old bit a material that was cut from it.

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    you'll never guess what i found recently, my whole set of 132 topps trading cards from the first batman movie, can't believe i've had those for 15 years!

9. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Batman Returns R2 has a really bad PQ. So bad that I took my copy back to the shop.

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i just finished watching it and thought it looked alright.. nothing special, but not awful by any means..

11. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has it had a new release or is it the same as the old one? I was most unhappy, then again maybe I'm just picky.

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    nope it's the old bare bones, snapper case one. a few scenes are a bit soft, most notably in the scenes near the end where penguin is 'addressing' the gathering of penguins, must for the most part it's fine. I was quite impressed by the sound too, Tim Burton music always sounds fantastic in 5.1 :)

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yes it is. Like PJ says they made some printing errors on some early Warner DVDs with the. My Batman and Bullitt DVDs both say 4:3 where in fact they are 16:9 anamorphic (1.85:1 video ar)