1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batman Begins (From Review Thread)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MacReady, Oct 17, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Missed this at the cinema and everyone I know who saw it said it was superb.

It is on it's way from Movietyme and I can't wait to watch it after reading this review :thumbsup:

2. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wave 2 of our Batman Begins shipemnts - which is for all customers that did not have their's arrive last week should be with you tomorrow.

Also its on our next day service to so if you want it by Wednesday morning please order by 2.00pm tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks to all those that ordered... :smashin:

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig, didn't get mine last week, tho it was sent on the 12th. If mine was sent in the 2nd wave, then does the wave two batch come with the 72 page comic book?

Hope it does. :thumbsup:

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine came this morning - from MT - and it does have the comic. :smashin:

6. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great news, Family Guy. My post is late, as usual. Bloody Royal Mail. Think they would get it sooner to one of there own. :rotfl:

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Guys

Moved these comments to the Movie forum, as the review forum is specifically to discuss the review of the movie and not the shipping dates etc.

8. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This excellent film has been available here in Germany since 14th Oct. Got myself the comic edition in a very nice metal box on release day and it´s gone straight to no.1 in my fave movie and dvd chart.

Film - 10/10
    Picture - 10/10
    Sound - 11/10
    Extras - 10/10

Always new bale was a very talented actor but he is awesome as the Dark Knight. I juast pray that Chris Nolan signs on to direct the sequel, anyone else would just be a let down.

9. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Post came. No DVD :mad:

Hope some little git aint nicked it... :rolleyes:

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Got mine this morning along with Land Of The Dead...excellent service as usual Craig :smashin:

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Is the DVD version with the 72 page comic a strictly limited edition then, i.e will it go out of print some time soon?

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I'll agree that the PQ, extra's and movie are top notch, the sound is to over the top for my liking. I have a feeling the LFE channel on this disc has been recorded a few Db above the norm...just dosen't sound natural to me...

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    I believe it has already gone out of production so what retailers have is all they are ever going to get, something to do with the comic book costing too much to produce.

14. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I thought it was just me that felt the .1 was a tad overbearing in comparrison to the rest of the channels, but apparently not!

It is a tad unbalanced, I would agree.

15. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep...

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To the point of ruining the movie IMHO...I've only flicked through the chapters so far, but tonight I think I'm dropping the screen and firing up the PJ...I'll see if a 6 foot picture will scale down the LFE in comparison...or I may just hit the "night" mode button...the last time I heard bass in this sort of scale on a DD track was ID4 on laserdisc...

Then I thank you sir for including me in the few... :smashin: :D

17. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Thank you from me too as it is an excellent little graphic novel :smashin:

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if i should have posted my thoughts in the review section so i will add them here as well.

I just finished watching Batman Begins, decent movie but i still prefer Burtons vision, firstly i thought the fight scenes had far too many close in moments which meant you couldn't really see everything going on and this detracted from the visual experience, secondly the music score was vastly inferior and unmemorable compared to Danny Elfmans score for Batman and thirdly unlike the reviewer i thought the sound quality merely decent, not great and certainly worth no more than an 8 out of 10 mark, picture quality was also decent but i think it was also a little filtered, id give it 7.5 out of ten. I loved the first half of the movie but i felt the second half wasn't as good, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman both brought class to the proceeedings and i am looking forward to a sequel.

Incidentally i had watched Batman Returns just before watching this, Burtons take was excellent, Michelle Pfieffer outstanding and Elfmans score unsurpassed by any other Batman movie. Batman Returns has also had a little tinkering done with its picture and i could see traces throughout the movie of edge enhancement but it didnt detract from the movie going experience, the dts sound was decent with a nice low end but surround was used sparingly and never as aggressive as Batman Forever.

Anyways i would still rate Batman Begins highly and give it 8 out of 10 for entertainment but the first half is definately better than the second but its great to see one of these movies use the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

19. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone noticed the black bars in widescreen mode flickering during some scenes? What I mean by "flickering" is that they will suddenly get slightly brighter than go back to normal. I have a Samsung 42" DLP. Is it a defect in the disc or early version of DVD?

20. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    cheers craig got mine today , movietyme never fails.

21. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Will there be any reviews on the regions 2 and 3.
    And ive seen that shops have the Batman collection or whatever its called, are these the new specials with DTS or are they the old ones reboxed? I ask this as there isnt any specs of the films on the outer box and you cant get in them to check out the individual boxes. And if they are, can you buy em seperatley as well.

Cheers for help on this
    Mendes

22. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    You can buy the new 2 Disc Special Edition releases of the 4 previous Batman films either seperately or in the Anthology Boxset but this Boxset is only available on Region 1 and Region 3 DVD.

23. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id like to know what the hell is going on in Batman begins fight scenes...looks like they got a guy with the shakes to hold the camera while someone waved his arms and legs about a bit lol

24. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from me. Always seem to get mine late. I hate Essex Postmen, not including me, that is. :rolleyes:

25. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    damm, the only movietyme product i've had that took longer then 3days after e-mail sent was Ghost in the Shell UMD. that took 14 but came from the US via germany and was opened by customs.

26. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - lets face facts here. I think the review is WRONG!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    The sound on this disc, whilst aggresive and "full", is actually terrible!!

The LFE channel is recorded at least 5Db higher than the other five and just sounds all wrong...and yes, my equipment is set up correctly and isn't exactly low end (see sig...)

Anybody care to try this little experiment...? Turn the main volume down until the dialogue is just audible...then wait for a scen with plenty of .1 action (chapter 10 is a good start). The bass still booms, even with the volume right down.

Watching this actually tired me out last night...a'la Batman & Robin. I could only ever watch in 10-15 minute segments because of the soundtrack...thankfully, BB is a much better film...but the enjoyment of the view is taken away by incorrect LFE levels...

Oh, and edge enhancement rears it's ugly head in almost scene that has a building in the background (particularly Wayne manor...) - but that's another story... ;)

27. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    The older boxset of all 4 films is called the "Legacy" edition, I think. So if you see that written on the box, then avoid it!

28. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the R3 boxset in all it's glory...though the discs are only £9.99 each, so you could save youreself a fiver buy buying them seperately... :D

29. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    There's only 2 out of the 4 that are decent though ;)

As for Begins, I've got the R1 and the R3 should arrive today so I'll post a quick comparrison to help out :) Not sure if we're getting a review copy of the R2 Batman Begins, nothing has been mentioned or seen.

As for the other 4 movies, as mentioned elsewhere, we are covering the R1 and R2 Japanese editions (in theory!) again, no mention yet of R2 UK releases.

30. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :mad: I should have ordered from MovieTyme as well, bl**dy cd-wow have delayed my order!!!

I'm well :mad: they are saying they won't be able to dispatch until the 22nd now, when I pre-ordered this ages ago.

VERY annoyed!!!! :mad: