Batman: Arkham Origins PC Review & Comments

I listened to your comments on the Games podcast and thought they were a bit harsh, but that is one scathing review, it does not play as badly as you are saying, IMHO, in fact im enjoying it. (I have played the previous two games to completion)

I've been playing and enjoying this, and while I agree it's the weakest entry in the series, the graphical effects are often spectacular and the combat is actually a little more refined than its predecessors IMO - they've especially improved combat against knife-wielding thugs, which was quite hit and miss in previous games. I know there are some issues but this is never a 4/10 game IMO - more like a 7.5ish.

I'm really not trying to rain on anyone's parade. If you're getting something out of it, that's great. For me, it annoyed me from the off and went downhill from there.

The thing is, Rocksteady had done all the hard work - the mechanics, the world, it was all there. Yet somehow we end up with a game that was broken at launch with a needlessly tacked-on multiplayer. Seriously, why does the MP exist other than to tick a box? Is anyone really enjoying it?

The story has none of the great moments of the previous games. The boss fights are mediocre, and the Deathstroke fight is essentially glitched (when he attacks, Bats blocks a couple of hits automatically - if you try to parry you get hit).

I found the combat significantly more buggy than in previous outings, with the flow often ruined by something inexplicable happening. The predator rooms were less interesting too, and those new Crime Scene sections were basically glorified interactive cutscenes (they should have been awesome, like in that show Continuum).

Basically, I think WB have seen the opportunity for a cash grab. Think about the great foundation laid out by Arkham City and all those cool moments (the end credits, for example). How can anyone justify this being worse? Being broken? We are entitled to expect more than this annual regurgitation for our hard earned £40.

Viva la revolution etc.

Asylum 2009 - City 2011 - Origins 2013

The Batman games are not an annual regurgitation (not yet anyway).

What platform did you play it on? A 6 is understandable if this is a PS3/Xbox review. On PC it looks stunning.

This game looks fantastic on PC not sure how it is a 6!

For a PC review I expected to see what the game was run on, or at the very least what graphical settings are available in game and were used to justify the 6 rating.

Previous Batman games have been awesome in the graphics department an in 3D.

I am playing this on a PS3 and I think it looks great 8/10 is where Id put it, obviously it is going to look better on PC. I was also rewatching Adam Sesslers Review of this and he praised it for the story saying it was the best story of the 3, he actually compared and he meant this in a good way to Scott Synders Writing in the Batman comics, he also commented on the boss battles saying they were the best of the 3 because things you learned in game made sense to how you would defeat them, i mean the Joker boss at the end of Asylum was very frustrating, its all opinions everyones got one.

Agreed with some of your points but very harsh! Like others have said, especially the graphics score, I thought it looked lovely! The PhysX stuff, like the fog and snow, looked fantastic in 3d!

Well I did want this, to be honest out of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City......Asylum is the better one.

In terms of technical competence sure, it was fine: his cape looked good etc etc. But the environments weren't interesting to me at all, there had been absolutely no progress since City in terms of developing an engaging setting. The city lacked spectacle, the indoor areas were dull too - considerably less interesting than City and Asylum IMO.

Can you grab some sexy screenshots? Sure. Did the visuals suck me into the world and make me go WOW ARKHAM? No. I've seen it all before in the previous games.

Put this game out of your mind for a moment and imagine being Batman, standing on top of that bridge and looking out at the city at night: brimming with life, people outside bars and restaurants, dark alleys like the one Bruce's parents were shot in - really picture it. Now put that against the choices made in Origins and the way it looks. It's flat, a dead city. It's visually unambitious in scope, even if the detail is pretty.

It gets a 6 for being technically good but visually considerably less interesting to me than its predecessors.

I did LOVE how the Joker looked close-up though, I have to say.

Always glad for the debate but I don't think we're going to agree on this one ;)

Gotham at this point is dead though...

Ugh, the stuff explaining why there aren't people on the streets was crazily weak - a half arsed job of manipulating the plot to justify a lack of ambition.

Reviewing PC games is my favourite - knowledgeable, opinionated, involved forum members. And if I couldn't take being given a hard time over what I've written I wouldn't do reviews - all good stuff. Also kept me thinking through today when I've been stuck at home recovering from an operation. :thumbsup:

Also kept me thinking through today when I've been stuck at home recovering from an operation. :thumbsup:

Nothing major i hope, hopefully they gave you some cool drugs :D

Haven't got either on pre-order. Planned to wait until early next year. Got myself an SSD to compensate! Been having a short game marathon today though: Dear Esther, Buried at Sea, To The Moon. Was hoping the Day Z standalone might appear this week - that would've kept me busy!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom