Bathroom vinyl floor edging

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

So yesterday I finally got round to removing the horrible carpet in my bathroom (I know - was there when I moved in!) and laying some vinyl tiles. Anyway, all went perfectly, sealed the wood underneath, tiles laid and it looks really good but I have a question about the edging...

My vinyl floor in my kitchen has wooden beading around it, looks fine. I was wondering what to edge the bathroom floor with? I was originally just going to use sealant around the edging, as there is a little gap where the skirting has been cut to make room for the carpet. Then this morning I was thinking about sealant around the usual places (toilet, sink etc...) and then thin metal beading along the walls (maybe with a small line of sealant underneath), though not sure how to fix it...glue I presume?

Our bathroom floor doesn't really get wet but just wanted to know the best thing to do to finish the room off :smashin:

I just used a general bathroom sealant on my floor,did around the toilet,sink pedestal and did a line all around the floor edge.Fills the gap giving a neater finish plus it seals the floor so no water will get under the tiles.
Quick,easy and cheap job :thumbsup:

SBT said:
I just used a general bathroom sealant on my floor,did around the toilet,sink pedestal and did a line all around the floor edge.Fills the gap giving a neater finish plus it seals the floor so no water will get under the tiles.
Quick,easy and cheap job :thumbsup:

Cool, thanks :)
Will just do the sealant for now so at least it's waterproof and then see how it looks.

Berties said:
Use clear sealent

Why clear? I would have thought that white sealant would look better? My floor is black and the skirting is white.

Personally I would also go with the white sealant, and then do the "lick finger and lay off" the sealer - to create a nice finish - just remember not to lick same finger after toiching the sealer - as i'm sure its not good for you....:smashin:

white sealent would just look wrong, guess it depends on colour of your floor and wall. White wouldn't match.

white sealent would just look wrong, guess it depends on colour of your floor and wall. White wouldn't match.
Good point, anything white in a bathroom would look completely out of place... :D

BandofBrothers said:
Personally I would also go with the white sealant, and then do the "lick finger and lay off" the sealer - to create a nice finish - just remember not to lick same finger after toiching the sealer - as i'm sure its not good for you....:smashin:

Nothing like the taste of a good sealant :)

I do have a finishing tool which I used when doing the bath, great bit of kit.

And I definitely think white would be the best colour.

Cool, thanks :)
Will just do the sealant for now so at least it's waterproof and then see how it looks.

I put in the shower/wetwall, then got someone in to put in non slip waterproof flooring(like lino, really).

The idiot used clear/offwhite sealer..god after a few months what a mess it turned into, and just looked bad from the start, so instead of ripping it all up, as it was waterproofed, I just put in the beading that you put round laminate edges, the curved beading, white, to match the skirting.

Looks 10 times better, and no doubt with silicon sealer, it will get dirty, and it will frill eventually, but with the beading, out of sight out of mind.

Stuck it on with a thin line of sealer round it, neat, tidy, finished the skirting nicely, and looks far better than it did.

I used this stuff(local shop to me): Scotias

Last edited:
I do have a finishing tool which I used when doing the bath, great bit of kit.

I'd second this - picked up one of these little tools from Screwfix to re-seal the bath. It was only 99p and well worth it!

Had to laugh at the clear idea :laugh:

Clear goes yellow really quickly and it would also show the gaps.I used white on my floor,i dont have skirting,i have tiles and the white fills the gap perfectly.Lick you finger and it makes a really good,neat seal.

Had to laugh at the clear idea :laugh:

Clear goes yellow really quickly and it would also show the gaps.I used white on my floor,i dont have skirting,i have tiles and the white fills the gap perfectly.Lick you finger and it makes a really good,neat seal.

Yes, but have to take it with a pinch of salt, it was Berties that suggested it.

Sad. Thanking each other for having a go at me. Is that what the thank system is for?

Ours hasn't gone yellow.

Sad. Thanking each other for having a go at me. Is that what the thank system is for?

Ours hasn't gone yellow.

i agree with Berties......
Using white looks as though you are hiding a bodged job (gaps)
Clear does not stand out like white silicone does. They will both change colour after a while but the white will show the discolour more....
I would use translucent :smashing:

John..

Ours hasn't gone yellow.

Clear will still show the gaps he's trying to hide as it's clear.

I assume as he has skirting boards they are white so white wont show up.I have white tiles and a cream floor and the white doesn't even notice,it just gives a nice neat finish,I doubt clear would work as well imo.

Did mine in April and still looks like new.The only time i've used clear was around some mirrors and it went yellow really quickly.

As for the thank system i'll leave it at that :rolleyes:

Well did the white sealant this afternoon. Looks really good and finishes off the room nicely. Don't see any need for any other kind of edging so am a happy bunny :)

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom