Bathroom TV Options - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by kudos2, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yes that's it exactly. I didn't actually buy the shower unit myself, the wife did, basically because she likes the 'water from above' and 'water rose' style shower heads.

It should attach to a shower mixer about half way up the wall. So I'm trying to bodge it the extra distance down to the taps.

I actually went and bought a shower riser and shower head last night but when I put it together i find that the actual shower head fires the water out at an angle of approx 30degrees, virtually horizontal!

I had this problem the last time I put a shower head up. This OK if the shower is in a shower cubicle or at either end of the bath because it fires into the bath. It's no good for mounting on the side wall though.

I could probably live with it but SWMBO wants the water from above and who am I to not give her what she wants :eek:

Kudos

2. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    They have far more to answer for than they will ever admit! ;)

Hmm, is the shower head upside down? I.e. if you turn it 180 degrees does that fix the problem?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Some pics of the basin and stand.

[​IMG]

Went for a pop-up drain.

[​IMG]

Managed to find a loo roll holder to match the basin stand.

[​IMG]

Kudos

4. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    It's looking really god, I hve to say. Nice one. Worth all the work

MarkP

5. alz2605

alz2605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Damn, now I want a TV in my bathroom :mad:

6. elootos

elootos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131

Congrats on a great looking bathroom kudos2, I hate tiling so well done on the patience in completely yours. The screen looks very pimp.

In regard to my screen in my bathroom that you mentioned at the start, the consensus at the time was that because the glass panel sealed my bathroom wall off completely, and the monitor was housed and accessed in the bedroom next door, it could be regarded as an install in the next room and not strictly speaking a bathroom install. I'd never do any reckless DIY so it was important on such a tricky thing to get the idea right behind the safety element.

In my journey of investigating bathroom TVs/music installs I came across some worrying photos of people with 240v equipment on bathroom shelves etc :eek:

Just thought I'd clear that up so people don't think I'm a reckless DIYer, but once again well done on your work :smashin:

7. phil5366

phil5366
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Are you sure you have these the correct way round? they work as follows;

Point your remote at the Powermid Transmitter ST10 (Should be in your bathroom) As you press the button on your remote the transmitter captures the IR command, converts it to RF and transmits it through walls, ceilings etc, to the Powermid Receiver (RE10) This unit converts the signal into an IR message back. This unit is the one that has the extender (Sold Separately) if you need to place your equipment next to it or inside a cupboard etc.

So in other words...Transmitter in the Bathroom, Receiver at the other end where your equipment is ie, AVR, Sky, Cable etc.

I must admit, these Powermids work flawlessly. Very impressed with them!

Your bathroom is coming on a treat by the way!!

PS make a little alcove the size of the Powermid at the bottom edge of the floor near the bath. It will still work.

8. EmTV

EmTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kudos2
    Brilliant job on bathroom it looks great and it's just what I'm waiting for but we are having huge problems getting a waterproof TV that will pick up all the channels. We've dealt with 3 companies and had 6 different TVs.

Could I just ask you did I read that your TV has 1080 res??
    Looking on the Proofvision site it says maximum res is 1440:900.

My partner is adamant that we should have 1080p but can't find 15" or 17" that gives this.

Any advice greatly received
    EMTv

9. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Realistically, do you think you will be able to tell the difference between HD ready and full HD on a 15-17" set? Maybe if you have your noses pressed against the screen :) I don't think I would appreciate the extra on that size screen, but maybe that's just my eyes fading with old age...

Kudos, long time no posting! How's the bathroom going? Have you been able to enjoy the TV while soaking in the tub?

10. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hey......

Yeah it's been a little while, believe it or not I haven't actually finished yet !

The delay has been down to 3rd parties as always. My sparky who disappeared before xmas with my towel rail element saying he have it done in a couple of days has dropped off the radar entirely. I ended up waiting for 2 months then giving up and finding a different solution to my problem, pics to follow.

Also, I decided to get the 5 doors replaced in the house, got a chippy in who has been indescribably bad/slow, managing to get one door a week done. :rolleyes:

I'll try to update with pics soon.

Cheers,
    Kudos

11. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I agree, I don't think you would notice on a screen that small, it only really becomes evident on screens 32" plus IMHO.

Despite this I will try to look up the specs, I think I still have the manual kicking around somewhere....

Kudos

12. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I was thinking of velcro-ing the thing to the ceiling right in the corner of the room, I'll have to see how the cables fits when I get round to it.

Cheers,
    Kudos

13. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks for your input eltoos, I really like the work you've done with your various Media Center installs around your house, very inspiring. I'm more of a Mac guy so I'm trying to go that route although I admit I'd like to try MC7 with a touch screen panel, who knows I may go for both.

Cheers,
    Kudos

14. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    That's too bad, sorry to hear you're having problems with trades. I got a chippy in for the interior doors in my old house and he managed to do all 6 in one day, he was lightning quick. Have never seen anyone wield an electric planer with such skill! I've used the checkatrade website a few times, found a good plumber on there last year who did an excellent job with the pipes for some new radiators - a lot of the pipes are on show and it's like a work of art! The point is, maybe that site could be useful for you too in future?

I had kind of assuned you hadn't finished yet, otherwise there would have been much celebrating and photos of you in the bath with the telly on... come to think of it, please take your time, I'm not sure I want to see that ;)

Good luck with the final push, I hope you manage to finish soon. I know what a bind it can be to have an almost-finished job hanging over you.

15. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Checked the site but they don't cover 'ol Guernsey unfortunately. I'll know for next time though, always get word of mouth.

Yep I'm sure the wife would look much better than me :eek:

Kudos

16. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Bit of a disaster, condensation started appearing inside the monitor, now the electronics are playing up, the TV switches itself on and changes source continually.....:mad:

I'll have to get onto the supplier

Kudos

17. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Oh that's just what you need! Sorry to hear the bad news, hope you get it sorted easily. This is the sort of thing that is a true test of a company's customer service.

Good luck!

18. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    did you ever get a resolution with the tv condensation/misting??

I was looking to buy one of these but a little unsure now??

19. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Wotcha, it's funny you should mention that, I've been sorting out getting a replacement from the supplier, I should be receiving it any day now, so I won't know what the score is until I get the new one, install it and start using it in anger.

So can't answer your question just yet.....!

Cheers,
    Kudos

20. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Well my replacement Tv finally arrived. I had the day off today so I set about removing the original one. Took quite a while seeing as it was all sealed in.

The real pain was the thick cable cluster and the small channel I had cut for it. Pulling it out was difficult enough, but it took me about an hour to thread the new cables back through due to the exit being under the bath rim.

Anyway, you can imagine my delight when after applying sealant I went to slot in the new tv - only to find it wouldn't fit. A quick measure and I find that the set is exactly 5mm larger than the previous one ***!

So began the long process of removing the original back box, which was also sealed and grouted in place. Then many broken tiles later I had it out. In order to get the new back box in I had to hand file the sides back. But she's in now and that's enough for one night.

Kudos

21. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    :( That's a real pain! Did you get the replacement from the same company as the original set?

Has anybody said why the original failed? Do you think you will ever find out? I presume they didn't start questioning the quality of the installation!

22. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah it's from the same place, but I guess they must have updated the model slightly.

I'm not sure why the first failed and I must admit I nearly threw the towel in last night and decided to swerve the whole idea. Just tiled the broken tiles now, will have to grout them then I can install the new TV again :rolleyes:

I actually had a repsonse to this thread that came through by email from compactaudvisio who is a pro installer but his post seems to have disappeared.

"You do have to make sure they are well installed as you have to properly seal the unit within the bracket otherwise you will experience problems; think this the case with all bathroom TVs though."

So I will have to go to town on the sealing this time, though I did before though....

Check out the Chingrish on the back of the TV.....!

[​IMG]

23. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    For those interested, this what the old TV looks like once removed !

[​IMG]

That triangle at the bottom is water......:eek:

Kudos

24. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Hehe! I had a mobile phone that looked like that once after a trip through the washing machine. It was like one of those games where you have to get the ball into the cup by pressing the buttons and using little jets of water.

Maybe you could tile over the TV as well? It would certainly keep it nice and dry :rotfl:

I have to say, your bad experiences with your first screen have been giving me second thoughts about getting one myself... so fingers crossed this second one is more successful.

25. willuttley

willuttley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I am the manager here at Proofvision. I would like to firstly apologise to “Kudos 2” for the experience you have had with the 19” Proofvision TV. All our TVs are IP65 rated with this in mind our evaluation of what has happened to your TV points to two possible scenarios.

1. The unit has been submerged under water for a long amount of time. Units need to be IP68 rated in order to be submerged under water.
    2. The unit has been installed incorrectly. If the unit is not sealed correctly water damage can occur. We advise that you use our professional installers.

We have professional installers all over England, Wales and Scotland. All installers have 5 years or more experience in installing bathroom TVs. We recommend that all customers should use these installers or someone to a similar qualification to avoid the experience that “Kudos 2” has experienced. In “Kudos2” situation we would normally offer to send one of our professional installers around to replace the unit but unfortunately we don't have anyone that covers the Guernsey area at the moment. You're our third customer from Guernsey. “Kudos 2” please do feel free to call us to guide you through the installation. You can also download an installation manual and watch the video on our website. Proof Vision

Kind Regards,
    William Uttley

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  26. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to reiterate that Will at Proofvision has been absolutely fantastic, very professional. He has given me a replacement TV no questions asked and has been really great to deal with. I'm sure my situation was just a one-off and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Anyway the new set is in now, I really went to town this time. It's been sealed to within an inch of it's life! I only placed it in it's back-box once to ensure no damage could occur there. I spent ages preparing the surface to accept the back bezel of the tv, so it was nice and flat and clean. I triple sealed the rear of the unit by using two tracks of sealant on the back then filling any remaining gap around the edge too. I'm even thinking of using a sealant strip to go around the edge, although the white one I got doesn't look very nice so I'll need to find a transparent one from somewhere.

I haven't checked the specs but at first glance the picture looks a tad sharper than before, the On Screen Display seems to be slightly upgraded too.

[​IMG]

27. willuttley

willuttley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Kudos 2,

Thank you for your kind words and I am glad to hear you found our after sales service more than satisfactory. It’s always an uplifting feeling to get positive feedback from customers.

We do insist that customers seal around the edge as well. It is a final step of sealing. We use a clear water sealant ourselves, looks a lot smarter. If you view our video from 3 min 40 secs in you can see how our professional team do this stage of the install. As usual any queries just give us a call. We recommend that you use a high quality sealant. There are cheap ones on the market that just don’t last. You pay for what you get at the end of the day.

With technology changing as fast as it does these days we are continuously improving the product to keep up with the times. The specs have slightly improved since your original order.

Kind Regards,
    William Uttley

28. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Nice! :thumbsup:

What's the viewing angle like? And have you used the shower yet? Will be keen to know over the coming weeks/months how it performs and whether you used enough buckets of sealant ;)

29. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    any update on the new unit??

hows it holding up?

im seriously considering buying one next week so any feedback would be great!

30. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi Redz,

Yep the new unit has been fine. Had it in for a while now and no misting or water ingress at all. I'm very pleased with it.

Well, I say I'm pleased with it, her indoors seems to be enjoying it way more than me 'cause she has baths and I have showers....

Looking forward to the digital switchover down here in guernsey in November so I can hook it up.

Cheers,
    Lee