Bathroom TV Options - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by kudos2, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    It's a recess to put all the bottles in for the bath, shampoo, bubbles etc. The minister for interior affairs seems to have zillions of them - all colour coded :rolleyes:

Kudos

2. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
  3. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Bottles? Toiletries?? Taking up valuable AV space if you ask me :)

Looking good by the way. Those LED strips look very interesting, where are you thinking of having them?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  4. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I agree, was actually thinking of putting a 5.1 speaker system in, I mean hey, if you have a HD screen seems silly not to add the sound too.

As for the LED strips, I have left about a 2/3cm gap around the top of the tiles all around the room, a potential route to put the lighting perhaps.

My first goal is just to get the boxing/tiling done so I can get the basin and the shower done. I'll add the tech last thing I would have thought....

Kudos

5. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    the shower can wait while there's snow outside, just go in the garden and rub yourself with snow to get clean! :)

6. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    I just realised - you'll be able to watch the TV while on the lavatory! How quintessentially manly!!! :rotfl:

7. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Had a break over the holidays, a little progress tonight.

[​IMG]

Got the mirror up, it has LED lights embedded running of a battery pack.

[​IMG]

Finished most of the boxing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Hey Kudos, how's it going? Any progress the last few days? Are you getting any closer to soaking in front of the TV (v jealous!)? :thumbsup:

9. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks for asking matey, yeah I 'hit the wall' a bit after the holidays, having to really force myself to get in there. Hopefully should all be done by next weekend with a bit of luck.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Kudos

10. gk141054

gk141054

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Great thread mate, giving me some ideas for our bathroom which is ace. Keep posting them pics :)

11. dodfaefife

dodfaefife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Love this thread. Pure inspiration. You have hooked up a PS3/360 feed for super-soapy-gaming, right? Every night would be bath night.:thumbsup:

12. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    All the leads are there of course :thumbsup: Hmm must see if the PS3/360 controllers work from the bathroom - great idea!

Kudos

13. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Cracking effort dude... looks superb. You've made me want another tv!

I'd be tempted to fit a waterproof cushion (to rest your head) in that recess. How comfortable would that be?

Have you tried laying in the bath to see if your head will impede upon the space you've created? Anthropometrics, ergonomics & all that 95% percentile stuff?

Maybe there's something online that'll fit in there and still leave you enough room for your shaving gel...

SL...:smashin:

14. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    A man can never have enough TV's :cool:

Already have some ideas for when I do up the kitchen......

Actually the bath is really long & wide, I'm 6ft and my head only reaches half way up the curve. I specifically left a bit of a gap between the recess and the top of the bath though for just such a headrest, SWMBO asked for it for when she's watching historical romance programmes :rolleyes:

Kudos

15. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Sorry to take so long replying. I used a Micromark 32mm Twilight LED kit. These are actually designed to be used with decking, but worked perfectly for this. I put the transformer and junction box in the attic then ran three LEDs down the inside of the stud wall and fitted them in the bottom of the vanity unit so they pool onto the floor. I say them, I actually only have one connected, the other two are pre-installed spares. I suppose if one failed then I could cut the wire off and fix a replacement on, just pre-installing seemed easy.
    Micromark also sell a dusk-to-dawn sensor which I fitted into the ceiling (above a cupboard so you can't see it, but its actually small and discreet). these kits are widely available on-line.
    I think it was a hotel called Northcote Manor in the North West where i saw it done.

Cheers,
    MarkP

16. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    - again, just a couple of things I did that people may find of interest, not wanting to hijack any of your thread Kudos.

i installed RGB LED strips around the ceiling in a recess, and on the bottom of a wall hung cupboard and vanity unit. These come on with the lights, and the colour cycling etc is controlled by a small remote control. Dimming the main lights and having the LEDs slowly cycling gives a very relaxing spa-type effect. This is separate to the blue LED nightlight.

By the way Kudos, you're doing a great job. I know all too well how much work there is in a bathroom, and an completely understand why you've had a bit of time off over the holidays!

Cheers,
    MarkP

17. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    You're up early MarkP ! Not hijacking the thread at all mate, I like to hear peoples opinions, it's how I've learned most things and got ideas.

Right now, I'm just concentrating on getting the basics finished off. I can put in lighting at the end no probs.

Just looked at your Bar thread, awesome ! V. jealous :D

Kudos

18. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Suddenly a TV in the bathroom isn't enough for you??? :)

19. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hey guys I need some help!

This is a fixed-height shower that SWMBO bought because she likes the water-rose style shower head, It's designed to attach to the wall at the top and to a shower mixer bar at the bottom.

[​IMG]

What I want to do is attach it to the wall at the bottom with a chrome effect pipe clip / pipe bracket. I can then run a short flexible shower hose from the bottom of the solid pipe to the shower outlet of my taps.

The problem is, I can't seem to find such a clip / bracket anywhere. I think the down-pipe is 3/4inch.

The only thing I can find is this:

Toolstation > Plumbing > Pipe Clips > School Board Clip

But it's 22mm not 3/4".....

Does anyone know where I can find such a fixing online?

Cheers,
    Kudos

20. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi mate,

Isn't 22mm the same as 3/4"? I doubt you'll find 3/4" specifically.
    Found a couple more 22mm options -

here
    cast option

- check my location!
    - glad you like it. It gets a lot of use when I'm home!
    - Unfortunately that's the problem with this forum. Once you start, you're hooked!

Cheers,
    MarkP

21. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    :thumbsup: Thanks MarkP!

I ordered a load of different types from that BES Ltd, one of them should do the trick at least, it's a shame the minimum postage was £7.50 on the other site else I would have gone for that. Instead I'll now have 4 different options!

As for your location I always presumed Siberia was a joke and you were actually in the north of Scotland or something - are you really in Siberia ?!?!

Kudos

22. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    I know that only too well... I only joined the forums originally as I was after some advice about speaker cables for an all-in-one DVD home cinema. Now I am a few thousand pounds lighter and planning to network the whole house when the extension goes up (hopefully later this year) :facepalm: It never ends!

Kudos, keep up the good work mate. I think you have gained several "fans" who are very interested to see the finished product and to hear how satisfied you are after your hard work :smashin:

23. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    I've used BES before, they are very useful for more obscure parts. The taps we have in the kitchen have tails that are not a standard UK size, so attaching them to 15mm pipe was impossible - and the tails didn't come off at all. BES had some adaptors that made the two sizes compatible - I hadn't found them before despite days of internet and hardware store trawling!

24. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I feel another DIY thread coming on there :smashin:

Kudos

25. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Haha! I keep meaning to do one retrospectively for our living room install. Have been reluctant to until I get the new cabinet and the IR extenders in and I have a finished article to show for it. New cabinet is sat in the dining room waiting for me to cut some cable access in it, just need some better weather so I can get to and from the garage. Oh and I need to hide some central heating pipes with a DVD storage cupboard... sigh....! Maybe a thread will encourage me to get finished!

As for when the extension goes up eventually, there won't me much AV-ness in it, at least to start with. The plan is to run cat 6 to lots of the rooms from a central location where there will be a NAS drive, switch etc. I expect I will be out of cash by that point, so the Sonos multiroom, patio speakers (and now bathroom TV) will have to wait for a while!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  26. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Ok , I'm stumped this time, I need to attach the flexible hose to the bottom of the solid pipe which is a female connection.

The problem is, all shower hoses are female to female and I can neither find a male to female hose or a male to male adaptor or even a longer chrome pipe (approx 1.5m) anywhere.

I'm close to throwing in the towel on this setup and just getting a normal shower riser rail, long hose and shower head. The missus will be sad though :(

If anyone knows where I can get either / or of the previously mentioned I would be much obliged.....

Kudos

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  27. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi,

Isn't it just something like this that you need? Maybe take a trip down to your local plumbers' merchant, they should be able to help.

- if only it was! I work in a place called Irkutsk but I get home every couple of months (North East England).

- funny you should mention that. I was thinking exactly the same thing today when I clicked on the thread - well over a hundred posts now for what was originally what seemed like a simple "what bathroom tv should I consider" question. It's been a really interesting thread.

- tell me about it! I've just finished my bathroom and spent a long time thinking about the best way to get music in it. I ended up going the Sonos route (with a new NAS etc etc) which cost a small fortune. I hadn't even heard of the stuff before I joined this forum :facepalm: :lesson: :rotfl:

Cheers,
    (a rather cold) MarkP

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  28. kudos2

kudos2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hmmm, I looked all over that site but never thought to look for a 'barrel'. Yes, I think this would do it actually although it does leave me with yet another problem, the short shower hose. The shortest I can find is 1m which is too long really.

Basically I think I'm trying to bash a square peg in a round hole :facepalm:

I did have a minor brainwave, I can just run a flexible hose from the taps to the actual horizontal top shower arm just fine.

I'm undecided which way I'm going to go for right now, I'll wait 'til my other chrome fittings I ordered turn up and see how that pans out, then make a decision.

On a brighter note my sparky is finally coming around at the weekend with my elongated towel rail heating element - only 3 odd weeks now I've been waiting for him to solder on a new longer lead :rolleyes:

I seem to remember Irkutsk from 'The Long Way Round' with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. I might be imagining it but I think they went past Lake Baikal.

Can't imagine what you do out there but at least those Russian Ladies are easy on the eye ;)

That's the fun bit yet to come for me, as soon as the main work is done I get to play with new kit :D

Kudos

29. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    - You've got the right Irkutsk! I don't know offhand if that was the route they took, but it wouldn't surprise me. Lake Baikal is spectacular and apparently holds 20% of the world's fresh water. Amazing. I work in the oil industry. and couldn't possibly comment on the ladies!

Cheers,
    MarkP

30. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    I liked Kiev when I was there, a really interesting city culturally and architecturally. Never been to Russia yet, but my parents went there about a year ago... only to dismiss it as "too former Soviet" (no kidding!!). The subway in Kiev has some of the most amazing architecture and lavish building materials. Apparently the Moscow underground is about a million times more extravagant!

I have a colleague who lives in Siberia, I forget where exactly, but it's on the European side of the mountains that divide Europe and Asia - his wife actually goes to work in Asia every day! Apparently the area where they live has about 2 people per square km, so I hope you have plenty to entertain yourself Mark!

Kudos, regarding your shower - not trying to be clever here, but did it come with any instructions? Or is the pronlem because you want to do something slightly different? You can get short flexible hoses that are designed for repairing damaged pipes (with the DIYer's friend, pushfit fixings). No idea if it would be any use for you in your setup and it might look bobbins anyway!

PS. Mark, I have just had a look at your bar thread, and I now officially hate you! (Just jealousy talking - it looks ace! :))

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010