Bathroom renovation woes...

I would quite like it like this so we can have a mirror by the sink. Not sure how much additional plumbing would be required though as we have a shower pump in the AC that feeds the shower which is on the AC wall.
Presentation2.jpg

Where does the soil and vent pipe go?

Have you not thought about swapping the WC and Basin round and having the mirror above the Basin on that wall?

Where does the soil and vent pipe go?

Have you not thought about swapping the WC and Basin round and having the mirror above the Basin on that wall?
It is directly behind the toilet.
That is an option to do that I guess.

It's behind the toilet but where does it go?

Is there an external pipe or does it drop straight down into a kitchen or cloakroom?

I'm wondering if there is an AAAV within the furniture or looking at the height of he plinth, it could run to the right.

It goes out the wall to the outside, then diagonally down through a rear extension (boxed in).

I'd go with Wahreo's idea if it's doable. No matter how good the double glazing is you are likely to get slightly cold air flowing into the bath if it's under the window.

I'm having a bathroom renovation nightmare too. It isn't even the whole bathroom we're doing - just a small shower area.

Not knowing anything about plumbing, we went to a place which was recommended to us, expecting them to look at our room, sell us what we needed and fit it. The first thing that happened was their fitter pulled the plug on the job the day before they were due to start in November because another job had over-run and he didn't want to let the customers after us down. So we found our own fitter who arrived to start the job yesterday.

He took one look at the stuff we had delivered yesterday and said that the shower tray (which was acrylic and had 16 plastic feet to hold it up) would cause us problems down the line and we would be better having a stone resin one on a proper plinth. He also realised that the concealed shower we had chosen wouldn't fit because the cavity wall wasn't deep enough and there was a supporting strut in the way. It seems either the original fitter guy who measured up didn't pay attention to the width of the wall or the guys in the showroom didn't pay enough attention to the measurements when helping us select a shower.

So now the project's been delayed again because we need to order a different tray and shower. To make matters worse, the wife upset the fitter this morning and he nearly walked off the job. He's asked me to pay him for the stripping out work he did yesterday so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't show up to finish the job when the replacement stuff arrives.

Just bought all our bathroom ware from city plumbing, fair price a few bits from bathstore too, also wall boards instead of tiles, new build 2 bathrooms and a separate toilet happy with it all so far and quite reasonably priced.

I'd go with Wahreo's idea if it's doable. No matter how good the double glazing is you are likely to get slightly cold air flowing into the bath if it's under the window.
Only the children use the bath, and that is only every other day. While in the shower it should be fine, and even in winter, I have the window open when I shower.
I'm thinking moving the toilet might add considerable expense, but could easily be wrong as I have no idea in what is involved in moving a toilet.

I'm having a bathroom renovation nightmare too. It isn't even the whole bathroom we're doing - just a small shower area.

Not knowing anything about plumbing, we went to a place which was recommended to us, expecting them to look at our room, sell us what we needed and fit it. The first thing that happened was their fitter pulled the plug on the job the day before they were due to start in November because another job had over-run and he didn't want to let the customers after us down. So we found our own fitter who arrived to start the job yesterday.

He took one look at the stuff we had delivered yesterday and said that the shower tray (which was acrylic and had 16 plastic feet to hold it up) would cause us problems down the line and we would be better having a stone resin one on a proper plinth. He also realised that the concealed shower we had chosen wouldn't fit because the cavity wall wasn't deep enough and there was a supporting strut in the way. It seems either the original fitter guy who measured up didn't pay attention to the width of the wall or the guys in the showroom didn't pay enough attention to the measurements when helping us select a shower.

So now the project's been delayed again because we need to order a different tray and shower. To make matters worse, the wife upset the fitter this morning and he nearly walked off the job. He's asked me to pay him for the stripping out work he did yesterday so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't show up to finish the job when the replacement stuff arrives.
Nightmare. I'm hoping that using our plumber from the start should stop that from happening...

Moving the WC would need to be assessed by the Plumber.

Personally I'd keep the Bathroom in a similar layout but I'd have the units stop where they meet the Bath.

Go for a darker worktop and darker floor.

Those metro tiles actually look great in the flesh and are a welcome break from the biege/cream/limestone colour that the world and his wife goes for. Also the wooden worktop works well in a bathroom but be careful with the water on it!

I tend to spec granite on my Bathroom furniture.

If you find a decent stone mason, he will have lots of offcuts from large kitchens. I pay no more than ÂŁ200 for a worktop for Basin and WC furniture.

Moving the WC would need to be assessed by the Plumber.

Personally I'd keep the Bathroom in a similar layout but I'd have the units stop where they meet the Bath.

Go for a darker worktop and darker floor.

Those metro tiles actually look great in the flesh and are a welcome break from the biege/cream/limestone colour that the world and his wife goes for. Also the wooden worktop works well in a bathroom but be careful with the water on it!

I tend to spec granite on my Bathroom furniture.

If you find a decent stone mason, he will have lots of offcuts from large kitchens. I pay no more than ÂŁ200 for a worktop for Basin and WC furniture.
I'm thinking on a budget, I will keep the layout as is, but will discuss the options with the plumber. I do find it annoying not having a mirror in front of the sink though.

Why would you stop the units where they meet the bath? At the moment, this houses all the toiletries and childrens bath toys (have two young kids).

I'd love a wooden worktop but the current one gets very wet with the kids and teeth brushing and washing etc, so probably not a good idea at the moment. What I would like for the bathroom, and what is sensible with kids are two very different things.
Good to know about the stone mason.

Is it possible (not looked but just an idea) to have a mirror that slides out to be in front of the basin and goes back to its resting place behind the toilet when not in use?

Actually think I saw a thing on reddit where someone used drawer castors runners on their side to slide a mirror/something across a gap, might have been a medicine cabinet they were building.

Will scan about or set the hounds free (@IronGiant @imightbewrong ) :D

I'm not searching Reddit :)

I'd try to squeeze a single base unit along the run between the left wall and the Bath.

I'd probably just have a small low level tiled Boxing at the Baths end or have a larger bath. The open shelf just looks a mess IMO. Potentially a small piece of worktop at a lower level at the baths end might work.

Then with the Basin and WC swapped position, a mirror cabinet can be placed above the Basin for more storage.

9.20 for a rough (very crude) end product of what would be the end result.

Bingo

I'd try to squeeze a single base unit along the run between the left wall and the Bath.

I'd probably just have a small low level tiled Boxing at the Baths end or have a larger bath. The open shelf just looks a mess IMO. Potentially a small piece of worktop at a lower level at the baths end might work.

Then with the Basin and WC swapped position, a mirror cabinet can be placed above the Basin for more storage.
Yeah it is a bit messy but incredibly handy to store all the kids bath toys. Admittedly this requirement will cease to exist as they get older but my youngest is only just two, so some space there is really useful. Then the shelf on top has all the shower gels, blah blah blah. Again a bit messy but not sure where else they would go, unless there was some shelving at the shower head end.
I need to take some measurements. Is there a standard size for the base units?
To be honest, I quite like the cistern not to be hidden, but not sure how well that would work in this space.

Yes there are standard measurements for bathroom furniture. Usually 100mm increments But it does vary.

I get all mine made up though- bespoke to fit the exact size I need. It is actually cheaper than off the shelf and better quality.

I use Sterling Bathrooms in Farnborough/Hants.

Well, the fitter didn't show as he was supposed to this morning and texted to say his daughter was seriously ill in hospital. I don't like to think badly of people but I can't help thinking that it's a bit of a coincidence, especially in light of his request to be paid for the first day. I've texted back to express my sympathy but, although I felt insensitive doing it, I had to ask whether he thought he would still be able to do our job (he mentioned earlier having another job he had to move on to next week). We've got all the wall panels blocking doorways in our hallway and can't have no shower for evermore. He hasn't replied. This might well be because he's too busy attending to his daughter or he simply doesn't know right now, but I can't help feeling we won't hear from him again.

It makes me laugh how people want paying for a silly job like stripping out a Bathroom.

I like to do something visual like tiling before I ask for a stage payment.

Zaichick- it might be best to find someone else. Ask the fitter of he has any formal qualifications and if he has public liability insurance.

Also, ask for a recommendation on a Facebook group in your area- hopefully the fitter will have a Facebook page so you can view some of his work.

Suite is OK but the walls are hideous.

Also to get good gold you've got to spend good money. Lefroy Brooke's for example.

Subscribing to this as I've got a family bathroom and two onsuites all needing doing on a tight budget.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom