Bathroom leak from neighbours upstairs. What to do?

ebbz139

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in a ground floor flat and there has been occasional leaking through my bathroom ceiling from upstairs, I do not believe this is a burst pipe as it is so infrequent and assume it is when they are flooding the bathroom from a bath etc. I have a tiny hole in my ceiling that the electrician put there to see if there was enough space to install an electric fan when i first moved in, this has turned out to be the outlet for the water when they do flood the bathroom. I notified them and they said it would not happen again the first time about 4 months ago.

Over the 4 months you can see the ceiling is showing signs of wet damage and I have to keep cleaning with bleach, but the leak has happened again the other day.

So this is where I do not know what rights I have; I own my flat, upstairs has tenants and do not, I have contacted the management company who have said the buildings insurance only covers "Act of God, flooding and roof damage" so that I contact the owner of the flat (they provided me details), explain the situation and that they reimburse me the cost of the damage.

First of all they would need to have their bathroom sealed to stop the leaks, only then would it be worth replacing my ceiling.

All I have is a name and a mobile number and if it was the other way around someone contacting me asking for money out of the blue I would not be paying anything without proof etc. What rights do I have here if any? How do I go about contacting the landlord of the property above? Should the management company be more involved with this issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest you phone the owner and explain the problem you have had and then see what they say. So no need to go straight in with 'I want £x to repair my ceiling' but more of there has been water leaking from your property into mine which has damaged my ceiling. Explain you have talked to the tenants to try to stop it but it has not worked. Hopefully they will respond in a sensible manner and either claim on their insurance or sort it out by other means. If not then you may need to go the legal route and maybe even small claims procedure to recover the money to repair the damage. But try the amicable and grown up method first.

Contact your insurers,give them all details, landlords contact no and stand back.
They'll arrange repairs and go postal on landlord.

I would ask if you could go up and have a look in their Bathroom.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom