Bathroom Downlights cant get the bulbs in or out.

DarkEntity

Ok, so not sure if this is a suitable area to post but...

Ive got a number of down lights (GU10) in my bathroom. One of the bulbs has gone but I have no way to get the bulb out or back in again. The cable that goes from the holder to the socket you plug the bulb into doesn't come out far enough for me to reach and grip...

any ideas?

ps (im in a flat, so I cant go up and lift floor boards etc)

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You got any pictures so we can see what you are dealing with?

They maybe supposed to be fixed so you just use a "sucker" to twist it out and then back in again.

Something like this

Amazon product

DarkEntity

thats the socket thingy with the bulb cover off (managed to get bulb out)

IMG_20210329_191744__01.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So long as the bulb socket doesn't move then you either to align it up and push up and twist in which it should do. Or use a sucker.

DarkEntity

It moves lol

Ordered a sucker to try that

ufo550

A sucker cap will do the trick, albeit a bit fiddley. Those types of fittings would come supplied with one, but they get lost.

I had a similar problem with a surface mount luminaire, and I lost the damn sucker. I used a piece of double sided carpet tape to twist in the lamp.

Are you sure the lampholder is fixed?

DarkEntity

Lamp holder you mean the wire dangly bit or the metal thing in the roof?

DarkEntity

Sorted. Yanked the whole metal thing out of roof fixed the issue and put them back again.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Sorted. Yanked the whole metal thing out of roof fixed the issue and put them back again.

Didn’t see this thread until now, but yes, those fittings will just be held in place by sprung tabs, so can be pulled from the ceiling to be worked on, and they’ll just push back into place. Depending on how large a hole has been made in the plasterboard and/or how the fitting has been manufactured, they can either come out very easily, or they can be very tight - YMMV

DarkEntity

Did the sucker not work then?

Yes you can remove the whole unit but you shouldn’t need to :)
basically the sucker worked to remove the bulb I couldnt but still couldnt get new one in. So when I pulled the metal thing out of the roof there was a bit bent over which was catching the wires, I straightened that and the wires then moved in and out as they should. (had to do that to 3 of the 4 in the bathroom though so im guessing lazy sparks!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom