Bathroom ceiling speakers

fourfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Looking to get some ceiling speakers for the bathroom to stop the missus whinging at the lack of music in there when she's having a bath.

I'll most likely be powering them via a T-amp (10w @ 8ohm) connected to a squeezebox in the next room.

So far, I've come up with the following choices:
One Russound SPC522 or Pair of QED systemline CLS 0.5

Any opinions of these or other suggestions?
They'll only be used for soft background music, not parites etc and I'm hoping to not spend more than £100 on them. :)

Personally I'm leaning towards the QED's due to their "back can" as our flat occupies the bottom 2 floors of a victorian house, with our neighbours above so I don't want to annoy them too much with sound from the back of the speaker (although I could stuff extra insulation in the void and build a box to go over the back of the russound I guess).

From what I see the Russounds are the most suitable as they are actually bathroom speakers and say they are...

"This speaker is moisture resistant making it ideal for bathrooms."

Don't know how the moisture would effect the QED ones?

Aren't most electric items in bathrooms etc rated for such an environment? IPV or somesuch?

IP rating generally refers to electrical items operating at 240 volts. Ceiling speakers would be low voltage and need not comply. As long as you have a good extractor fan to keep the moisture content low any ceiling speaker would be ok.

IP rating generally refers to electrical items operating at 240 volts. Ceiling speakers would be low voltage and need not comply. As long as you have a good extractor fan to keep the moisture content low any ceiling speaker would be ok.

Thanks, always good to know.

I have 2 Russound speakers in my main bathroom, and 1 in our ensuite. They may not be the best regarded speaker out there, but they certainly do my job well. I listen to the radio in the mornings and couldn't live without them now. :thumbsup:

(I'm not sure of the model number of mine)

Don't know how the moisture would effect the QED ones?

According to QED they're suitable for bathrooms, so should be fine :)

As said, ingress protection ratings don't apply to speakers as they're extra low voltage. Either way, they're not in zone 1 or 2 so rating doesn't matter as long as it's "suitable for the environment" according to the big red book.

I used Blaupunkt boat speakers in my bathroom wired to the stereo on the study.

I figured waterproof speakers would be good with all the steam and whatnot.

35612-magwp.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom