1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batfantastic

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by da walrus, Oct 20, 2005.

1. da walrus

da walrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thought I would say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone on this site for posting bargains.

After vewing a thread I ordered Batman begins, 2 disc SE. It dropped thro' my letterbox this morn - I'm lurrrrvin it....GR8 thread from AV -which was pre ordered for 847 pennies, from CD WOW, USA.

Hurry on back from school, kiddies,(god bless 'em). I wanna fire up AV system and view...whoa..we will be rockin 2night

gotta go, Sgt pepper calls

2. philbam

philbam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Me too!!! Received my Batman Begins 2 disc spec.ed (region 2) yesterday, some two days before its due in the shops.
    Thanks for the original pointer to the CDWOW site!!

3. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, definitely worth pre-ordering those couple of months ago.

Cheers!

4. mutamist

mutamist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    In case anyone wants to know HMV.co.uk are doing the 2 disc version for 14.99 with exclusive slipcase and 70 page graphic novel - the graphic novel was the decider for me.

Scrap that - it's up to £17.99 - their prices are up and down like a yo yo at the moment.

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    hey guys what's your packaging like? mine is a R2/R5 packet (ie no bbfc logo) but the discs inside are the proper bbfc rated R2 ones.

6. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Just received my "Region 2" Batman Begins from CD-WOW today... and they've done it again. It's another R2/R5 job which is missing the BBFC logos and has a completely different cover to the UK release. It was wrapped in official Warner cellophane with the WB logo on it, but in general it seems to be of rather limited quality (cheap-feeling case and there's no insert).

The box itself is all in English, but uses the artwork from the US single disc release, rather than the two-disc version. Interestingly, while this is a European release the cover has a quote from Ebert & Roeper on the front...

The discs themselves though seem to be the ones from proper R2 UK release, complete with BBFC logos and such.

Personally I feel a little disappointed, and am going to ask CD-WOW if I can get a refund... I'd rather pay a little more and get the R1 or a proper R2 in the case of this film. It's the first time CD-WOW's R2/R5 shenanigans have bothered me personally, but this time it really has.

/edit/ In fact, speaking of poor quality, the tray holding the second disc just fell out onto the floor when I opened the case. :rolleyes:

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    yeah the box is a bit naff.. the picture isn't even central on mine. i might email them and ask if they can possibly send out an official region 2 copy.. if not i'll probably keep this one, the discs are the most important thing after all and it was quite cheap..

lol mine too..

8. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,662
    mine (pre-ordered from www.CD-WOW.us for ~ £8.30 via www.dvdbargain.net) was delivered yesterday and IS the UK R2 2-disc release with bbfc logo on case and discs :thumbsup:

That said, I've had other non-uk poor quality packaging R2 items like many of you, and its a bit off of them to keep doing this. Has anyone compained and received a response? (please copy and paste here if you have). Is there any trade descriptions act violation here? (i.e. picture of item on website with bbfc logo, but delivery of different looking item)

9. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Having just checked the first disc, I can't imagine that they're the same as the UK retail version.

It opened with a languages menu which was four pages long and listed pretty much every country you could think of in alphabetical order, including Ireland spelled as "Island". :thumbsdow

The option for the UK was right at the bottom of the last page... I just can't imagine that the UK retail disc would have such a menu at the start.

/edit/ And CD-WOW have now changed the cover art for the R2 listing to match the R2/R5 version I received...

http://www2.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=20881&subcat=region2

:suicide:

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    my region 2 (complete with bbfc logo) copy of Joey season 1 was like that.. really annoying, especially since all the menu items do the same anyway

11. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hmm... what a stupid idea it is in any case.

I guess the reason this is bugging me this time and hasn't in the past is because I've paid what is basically full price for this one. While it may have indeed been a couple of quid cheaper than the R1 or R2 versions, the difference isn't that big. In the case of these dodgy discs I've received before (such as Taking Lives and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), they've been so cheap that it hasn't mattered to me.

Anyway, I've sent them an e-mail about it, so I'll see what happens.

12. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    My R2 recd yesterday was not the same as that displayed on cdwow website, and sleeve has bbfc logos. Discs do too with long winded menu.

13. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is why I refuse to use CD-Wow, but most of us just can't resist a bargain :)

Regards

The Dude

p.s. Hi Aretak, long time no see on the forums?

14. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just to compare anyone want to post the EAN code on the rear of the box? Im at work at mo :devil: so cant post mine :D I'm just curious.... :rotfl:

Shane

15. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Assuming you mean the barcode, my 'dodgy' one's is 321917729598.

16. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Aretak

Thanks will confirm mine when I get home......wanted to call it barcode :D but tried to get 'all techy' LOL :smashin:

Shane

17. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    mmmm strange :confused: my is 321900729598, interesting :confused:

18. philbam

philbam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Just to confirm that mine is genuine region 2 only case and discs, with all the BBFC logs on both the case and discs. My bar code is also 321900729598.
    Watched it last night, fantastic film with awesome video and audio quality.
    Highly recommended to all !!!

19. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine is also Genuine R2 only case, discs with BBFC logos, same barcode as Philbam too.
    Saying that, I did get the long winded select your language menus, but that doesn't really bother me.

20. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I got a "dodgy" copy today, the case feels really cheap, , really not happy with cd-wow, called and let them know this, i have just sent back the disc and i am getting a full refund , will order from play then prob, £1 more expensive for the offical region 2 edition. i'm sure that when i ordered it the picture showed the uk edition and then changed to the one with the black border a couple of days later ...... ah well you live and learn, i'll be getting no more region 2 discs from cd wow !!!!!

21. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    can someone tell me if the first two re-releases of Batman & Batman Returns are cut, i want to order them from cdwow but the first one is rated PG!

22. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    AFAIK Batman has never been cut in the UK - it may have been passed at a lower cert now than it originally was back in '89. Batman Returns still has one cut - Catwoman putting the aerosols into the microwave is deemed imitable behaviour by the BBFC so it will probably always be cut in the UK!

It appears that the R1 releases are actually coded for regions 1,2,3 & 4 so if you don't mind NTSC you could always go for these.

23. Passenger57

Passenger57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I've got the R1 boxed-set from MovieTyme (£39.99) and played them in my PC which is DVD region locked to R2... and they played!

24. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I e-mailed them and got this reply...

So if all that guff is true, and they don't supply the discs which are on sale in the UK, why have some people been getting them, and some the cheap-o version? :rolleyes:

Fortunately I have a Freepost envelope that they sent me to send something else back, so I'll just stick it in that and return it... no way I'm paying postage when it's their mistake.

25. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Yup shane515 mine has the same code as yours and I got mine from cd-wow. The box has the bbfc 12 rating and the film censors office 12 rating (with german writing). The two discs also have some german writing on them in a green square which made me think it was not the british discs but when I read the enclosed leaflet (which is just a glorified advert catalogue) it has a page for the 'collectors zone' with the prices in £ so it looks like it's a UK edition. Now here's the rub - I've just come back from morrisons who are already selling it and their boxes are identical and have the same content! (but are £14.99).

So maybe the same disc has been mass produced for all of R2 with different leaflets for each country.

Watched it last night and I have to agree that either the diolougue is too quiet or the effects/music is too loud as I spent the whole night yo-yo'ing my volume control :mad:

Excellent film BTW. Well worth the wait but seriously no way were my two 3 year olds going to watch it this morning as far too violent/scary (They had to watch Schumacher's candy covered 'Batman & Robin' instead :D )

26. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i got a very similar e-mail Aretak, i sent my "region 2" copy of batman back to them today , also had a freepost envelope...... no way was i gonna pay for that ........ ordered the actual region 2 from play last night , was sent out this morning so should get it on monday/tuesday ........ i have no problems ordering region 1 or 3 from cd-wow if i know what i am paying for but i think that the way they advertise region 2 discs is very misleading,very annoyed as i was looking forward to watching it this weekend....... also i had star wars episode 3 "region 2" pre ordered with them, cancelled that quick smart, would rather pay £1 more from play and be sure that i get what i pay for ...... very dissapointed with cdwow........ rant over :mad:

27. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I was thinking today I was the only person who got what looks like a reject.

Mine came Thursday, WB wrapping, different cover to ones advertised, pic not in center with black border, no bbfc markings, cheapie type box, no inlay, but my discs have foreign writing in the boxes down the left hand side. The only English is the 'not for rental' box.

I'm quite dissapointed even though it was only cheap.

28. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Well now I've gone through all the posts I'm surprised CDWow can get away with it.

My view of CDwow has changed over this last last year. I've bought loads of CD's and DVD'as over the years without problems, but lately a few have come from the far east, which I thought they had stopped (if I want far east CD's I can use BangCD who are sometimes cheaper) But as far as DVD's go I've only bought R1 from them so had no idea they pulled this stunt with R2 until now.

I may well buy elsewhere from now on just in case.

29. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    well since it doesn't seem like they'll exchange, i'm just going to keep mine, i only paid £8.30 for it and although the box isn't brilliant, the discs are the proper uk ones which is what really matters.. gotta admit i was tempted by the HMV deluxe edition though... 72 page comic book and a holographic box for £17.99..

ps i had no problem with sound levels, it was all nicely balanced

30. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Me too, but not for an extra £8-9 :mad: (reather spend it on something more worthwhile like catwoman or elektra :rotfl: )