1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batcave - Active Studio Monitors - My Choice is.......

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JSW, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Firstly I must say a big Thankyou to Uncle Eric for all his help over the past few months and especially for the time spent with him yesterday, cheers Eric.

Well after meaning to do it for ages I finally went to visit Uncle Eric and the Batcave Yesterday :)

Set of at 7am and got back home at 8:30pm after a very enjoyable day. I had meant to post this thread last night but after ages typing it out and while referring to other web pages I lost it all :( so this will probably be a bit condensed.

On the way I picked up Karl (Respectamonkee) who has been to the batcave before but couldn't resist another chance to see it again.
    Karl said he would show me the way so I didn't bother to take Erics address with me, first mistake that was. No sooner had I picked Karl up he was ringing a friend to ask directions LOL, anyway after two phone calls and a few miles later we arrived at Uncle Erics just after 11am.

Meeting Eric and entering his home was just like going round your mates house, its like you've known each other for ages and he is very friendly.

Wasn't long before we where shown into the Batcave and I got the best seat in the house :)
    There is probably nothing I could say about the Batcave that hasn't allready been posted on these forums before so I won't, instead I will just confirm it is an awesome jaw dropping aureal experience :D

We spent about an hour to an hour and a half in the Batcave maybe longer as the last thing on your mind in there is time!
    If I had the budget I know what I'd be buying but I don't :(
    It was astounding.

Now as some of you may know I'm interested in Active Studio Monitors for my setup and this was the main reason for the visit and to this end Eric had arranged a demo session for us at a local pro dealers Digital Village, nice one Eric.

The staff where very friendly and knowledgable and there wasn't anything that they wouldn't of done for us.
    The main monitors I was interested in where the Behringer Truths as these where only £289 a pair and as I wanted 3 pairs this was nicely inside my budget.
    First impressions of the Truths = bloody hell theyre huge, I had previously shown pictures of them to the wife and they passed the WAF, but let me tell you if she had of been with us there was no way they would of passed the WAF!!!
    They sounded quite good actually if a little laid back and you could certainly listen to them all day long without ever feeling fatigued. I would certainly of been happy to take 3 pairs home even at twice the price.

Next up was some new Dynaudio Digital Monitors with built in processor and DSP effects etc, these where awesome but at 2.5k a pair where crossed of the list.

Then we listened to these Klein + Hummel Tri amped monitors and they where jaw droppingly good and then asked the price, Ouch over 1.5k each speaker!!! deffinately of my list :(

Next was some Mackie HR624's These where very good and after a few tracks Karl thought the highs where a little to in your face, also the price was beginning to worry me errr my pocket.

Next was some Dynaudio acoustics BM6A's These where as Karl said "Kicking" the level of detail and bass response was superb to say the least, but again the price of them had me worried.

Now for something Different, I asked the assistant to leave the left Dynaudio acoustics BM6A connected and then only changing the right hand monitor went through all the monitors again and it was with this that I could clearly hear details missing from the truths, not to a great extent and nothing anyone would probably ever notice unless doing an A + B comparison.

We had now been at Digital village for a couple of hours or more and I couldn't make a decission so of we went to get a bite to eat at the KFC a few doors down the road, mmmmmmmmm

Back to the store and some more listening and mental arithmatic going on.

I decided to cross the Truths off the list now as the WAF and because I new if I bought them I would probably get home only to think I should of bit the bullet and gone for the more expensive makes.

More A + B ing between the BM6A's and the HR624's and I was decided it had to be the Dynaudio acoustics BM6A's only thing was I couldn't afford all 6 so Eric asked the assistant if I could buy just 3 for the front soundstage for now.
    A phonecall later and yes this was fine, yay thats the front sorted and ordered.

Now the predicament of the rear 3. I had the cash for the front 3 so am now deliberating very hard wether to get some cheapo rears or order the other 3 BM6A's and hit my CC with the cost of the rear 3 ?

It was now getting late so after dropping Eric home and then Karl it was off home, pretty damn happy and very tired.

Thanks again to all involved.
    Big Cheers to Eric and the boys at Digital Village.

A day I will remember for a long time to come :D

Bry

2. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 Words

Credit card

TBH m8ty........ 6 of those bad boys and i may and come live with u and commute to Erics (just at weekends)

Now i need 6 and a Tag...........

Wont be long now..........

Was great day out .......Digital Village is an Awsome place to demo gear....we must of had the most pateint salesman ever!!!

I'd have booted us out for time wasting after the 1st 3 hours :p

Good to See you and Eric again Bry..

gimme a shout when you have them all set up and ill come up and demo them..

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bry.

Excellent choice of monitor speaker.
    The BM6A's are really good as are their bigger brothers BM15A's

You've got a great front 3. I'd always be willing to make an initial sacrifice (the rears) in order to get the LCR right.

I actually quite like the Mackie's
    Infact, i prefer the HR624'S over the HR824's.

PS....The Dynaudio Air system is wiked!!!
    PPS. Dont get inferior rears.

BM6A's all round

Adzman

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Hi Adzman,

I loved the Mackies too and it was very very close and this was A + B ing them for quite some time. In the end the BM6A's just had that something extra.

Karl,
    Stop twisting my arm :D

Thanks
    Bry

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My pleasure Bry. Thanks for the kind words.
    Hope you liked the image quality also.

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Hi Eric,

Yes very much, the HDTV sample was astounding :)

If I had a dedicated room CRT PJ would deffinately be in it, but not as extravegant as yours, not that I'd be able to find such a beast anyway ;)

Bry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.