Question Bass Traps

Kootuu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, as part of my garage conversion we're having a dropped/recessed ceiling effect, with the outer edge of the ceiling used to place the projector. Here's a rough example of what I mean:

basstrap.png

I started to think about bass traps in the corner and wondered if I could potentially place one inside the "box" for each corner of the room. Would that help or do the bass traps need to be out in the open?

Chris

Edit: Just found out this "box" is called a soffit, always wondered how to describe it.

Last edited:
I think what some people do is to have the underside of the soffit open and cover it with acoustically transparent material, with the soffit filled with glass fibre, denim or Rockwool. I'll see if I can find a link to some examples.

Hi. The wave length of most deep bass should be wider than the plaster board so some frequency should pad through it and be absorbed. For good measure I would put some grills or make a frame and cover with grill cloth. You will still get some reflection / doubling of wave in the corner but it will help depending on the thickness of the material and the frequency you want to treat. What processor are you using? I have a 2 inch panel and a mattress from my daughter's old cot behind my raised rear sofa. Also I put tons of insulation in my raised stage and left the front of it covered by carpet only. This is my way of trapping some bass. I have grills at the back to adjust the pressure build up so I can make the back row really bass heavy or not. Also Arc helps to refine the sub so there's less to treat.

Thanks for the input guys.

The underside of the soffit isn't something I can really love open as the plan was to sit the project on that, as well as allow for some spotlights, so it would have to be the "side" that is open but then I'm not sure if I'm creating 2 corners effectively, one between the floor and soffit, the other between the soffit and ceiling.

The soffit will just be standard plasterboard that's then plastered finish ready to paint, so I suspect nothing thicker than say 1 inch, although may need to be more on the underside of the soffit to take the weight of the projector.

The original plan was to just add some acoustic panels to the wall opposite the projector/speakers, but sounds like there might be some benefit adding some absorption into the soffit too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom