Bass Traps & Room Acoustics

Has anyone used these guys?

www.proacoustic.co.uk

Seem to be some reasonably priced bass traps / room treatment panels, almost make me want to dip my toe into room treatments. They seem to sell on Amazon with some decent feedback.

The fact I can nip in on the way home from work and pick up from their factory shop also tempts me. Currently I have zero room treatment just black devore on the walls in the front of my room.

Has anyone used these guys?

www.proacoustic.co.uk

Seem to be some reasonably priced bass traps / room treatment panels, almost make me want to dip my toe into room treatments. They seem to sell on Amazon with some decent feedback.

The fact I can nip in on the way home from work and pick up from their factory shop also tempts me. Currently I have zero room treatment just black devore on the walls in the front of my room.
There is no such thing as low frequency acoustic foam.It is a middle and high frequency absorbtion tool.Low frequency energy takes a specially designed material.

yep - agree - to absorb low frequencies (I wanted to treat a 30hz null) I had to put in some large soffits - but they did the job - the sub sounds good now in the corner - whereas before soffits - it sounded terrible - george

Out of interest - has anybody tried mounting bass traps on the ceiling. I have a room mode height null at around 50Hz that one option to solve is a new processor with Dirac, prefer this to the Anti-Mode option. Or the other option is a tuned Bass Trap for 50Hz. I just wondered how many you would need - don't mind putting one up - but a few might be difficult aesthetically.

George

Out of interest - has anybody tried mounting bass traps on the ceiling. I have a room mode height null at around 50Hz that one option to solve is a new processor with Dirac, prefer this to the Anti-Mode option. Or the other option is a tuned Bass Trap for 50Hz. I just wondered how many you would need - don't mind putting one up - but a few might be difficult aesthetically.

George

I think to reach 50hz you’re going to need soffits, but you’re talking 300-400mm thick square columns to make a difference. I did get advice from GIK acoustics and soffits can be put along the ceiling corners, horizontally, where ceiling meets wall. Traditionally they are used as columns in the corners, but on the ceiling is possible. I’ve seen the tuned bass traps GIK do. They are not that big and you would need advice. GIK will work with you. You can send in Room Eq Wizard files plus room dimensions and they will work out the best option. Bluefrogaudio.co.uk is also a good company for traps & soffits and will provide advice too

I think to reach 50hz you’re going to need soffits, but you’re talking 300-400mm thick square columns to make a difference. I did get advice from GIK acoustics and soffits can be put along the ceiling corners, horizontally, where ceiling meets wall. Traditionally they are used as columns in the corners, but on the ceiling is possible. I’ve seen the tuned bass traps GIK do. They are not that big and you would need advice. GIK will work with you. You can send in Room Eq Wizard files plus room dimensions and they will work out the best option. Bluefrogaudio.co.uk is also a good company for traps & soffits and will provide advice too
Hi - I went with 4 large Bluefrog Soffits mounted on ceiling corners but refrained from mounting bass traps on the ceiling itself.
In the end I cured the 50Hz mode by repositioning the Sub and using a processor that has Dirac - sounds pretty good and looking at the graphs seems to have done the job - George

Hi - I went with 4 large Bluefrog Soffits mounted on ceiling corners but refrained from mounting bass traps on the ceiling itself.
In the end I cured the 50Hz mode by repositioning the Sub and using a processor that has Dirac - sounds pretty good and looking at the graphs seems to have done the job - George

Did you notice anything from the soffits? Bluefrog seem pretty good and about 1/2 the price of GIK.

Yes I did notice - I was experimenting with subwoofer positions (as much you can with a heavy subwoofer) and when I moved the sub into the corner I found out what people mean by muddy, boomy bass. You have to hear to believe it. Then I had the 4 soffits installed and again tried the sub in the corner and no boomy/muddy bass. Subsequently I have found a non corner position for the sub that is better all round. In fact I had some help here from JL Audio as I swapped from an Arendal. Getting sub position correct can be a frustrating business. I had installed large soffits to help with a 30hz length mode and I can see graphically that the soffits did this. I was considering a GIK tuned bass trap for the 50hz ceiling mode but decided on the Dirac route instead for the ceiling mode as I wasn't keen on ceiling mounted traps as my HT is in my living room - George

Did you install panels on the ceiling ? If so, what did you use?
Ended up using double sided sticky velcro as the panels were fairly light, and i wanted minimal clearance from the ceiling.

I used staples to further secure the velcro to the panel itself

For the ceiling mount i used 2 strips of 8mm pine (I think, maybe slimmer), attached these to the ceiling using plasplugs, attached and stapled the velcro to the pine strips, then attached the panel to the strips via the velcro.

The advantage of this was I could remove the panels at reattach whenever I liked.

Edit: I spray painted the strips the same colour as the ceiling so they were fairly inconspicuous when the panels were down.

Did you install panels on the ceiling ? If so, what did you use?

Mine came with hook/eye attachments and since it's a wooden cabin just screw in. I suppose could have used plaster board raw plugs if standard ceilingplaster

Mine came with hook/eye attachments and since it's a wooden cabin just screw in. I suppose could have used plaster board raw plugs if standard ceilingplaster

Is that how you installed them on the ceiling ?

Is that how you installed them on the ceiling ?

Yes. They are 100mm thick rock wool 600 x 1200 iirc. GIK acoustics also do cloud brackets, which you may prefer.

I am thinking of trying out diffusers in my room, anybody tried these and found they made a difference?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom