Question Bass Trap in Riser (or not bother)

NM20

I am getting a riser built to add a back row of seats, around where the table is in picture one, the riser will be the width of the room.

I am debating was insulation to put in to act as a bass trap of should I not bother? The information online conflicts massively and I am struggling to find a consensus.

I was planning on laying flat (parallel to the floor) two layers of Rockwool RWA45 100mm (45kG/m3) all through the riser and then filling the bottom with some cheaper insulation.

Here are my questions:

1) Would I be better with a higher density, such as 100kg/m3 or should I mix the two?

2) Should I lay the insulation perpendicular to the floor? This way it would face the subs or does it matter?

3) Should I not bother at all as it won’t help with anything?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• B7A7F6BA-52D8-487F-BE94-2546849A7E0F.jpeg
    B7A7F6BA-52D8-487F-BE94-2546849A7E0F.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 1599378788602.png
    1599378788602.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 100

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
If you fill it to the max it'll act as a broadband absorber affecting frequencies above 150hz. Generally a good thing but gotta take lots of measurement. For lower frequencies it gets more complicated as you'd want to target specific modes with a membrane design. In either case you'd want to leave an air gap behind the insulation for it to be most effective. It'd be a trial and error process with lots of measurements. I think it'll be worth it but depends how committed you can be as it'll undoubtedly test your patience.

NM20

Patience and time I don’t have. Someone is doing it for me and is planning on installing the frame next weekend and then covering the weekend after. With a full-time job and young family, the measurements and testing are quite difficult.

What would you recommend? Just fill it with some cheap lower density insulation to stop it acting as a drum and then buy some proper bass traps for corners?

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Patience and time I don’t have. Someone is doing it for me and is planning on installing the frame next weekend and then covering the weekend after. With a full-time job and young family, the measurements and testing are quite difficult.

What would you recommend? Just fill it with some cheap lower density insulation to stop it acting as a drum and then buy some proper bass traps for corners?

Right, I see. Well if time is important then defo fill them in to stop unwanted resonance. Your photo suggests the sofa/platform is toward the middle of the room so not much bass energy to worry about. Never found corner traps to be that effective but I suppose they can work for general broadband absorption and under specific conditions more targeted frequencies. Although a good eq device should sort out the lower stuff.

I take it you'll be addressing the first/second reflections with panels?

NM20

Thanks.

So fill them with anything and not bother with the 45kg/m3 slabs? I reckon the price difference is around £60.

Yes it will be middle / back of the room, probably 7/8ft from the back wall. I have some panels on the front left and right wall, about halfway between the front seats and the speakers.

One issue withe the room, which the pictures don’t show, is that the ceiling is vaulted. Therfore, the cross-section of the room is hexagonal. This doesn’t make it easy to hang sound panels.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Yeah, for the difference maybe go with the denser material. Wouldn't worry too much about the ceiling but if you could add a couple of diffusers. Maybe some for the rear wall too since you have the space.

NM20

Thanks for the ongoing help. Do you recommend any diffusers?

I would love for someone to come around and measure my room and tell me what to buy and where to put it! (Paid of course)

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Have a look through some of this stuff and see if any would meet your requirements:

They are also very good with general help and advice and could possibly link you up with people/companies that do it for a living.

Also @Rickyj at Kalibrate would be good source.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
BTW, off topic but all that space seems a bit wasted, have you considered one of these for your riser:

Should take your viewing experience to another level. ;)

NM20

BTW, off topic but all that space seems a bit wasted, have you considered one of these for your riser:

Should take your viewing experience to another level. ;)

Thanks, I will have a look. I already have an Earthquake 10b on my front seats and I love it. I am not too fussed about putting it on the back seats, but I shall have a read through.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I will have a look. I already have an Earthquake 10b on my front seats and I love it. I am not too fussed about putting it on the back seats, but I shall have a read through.

Ah, so you know what I'm talking about. :smashin:

Do give it a once over, could underpin the mighty 10b even. Here's mine in action at "moderate" level, Edge of Tomorrow intro:

NM20

Damn!

Is there a link to your setup?

That basstone in the intro is something else.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I've got a build thread to the BOSS platform here:

NM20

That looks great. Once the riser is In place, this is something that could be added at a later stage.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom