1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass/Subwoofer Drops out if the volume gets low

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chrisconnew, Aug 17, 2004.

1. chrisconnew

chrisconnew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a Pioneer VSX-D511-S hooked up to both my Tivo and my Panasonic E55. The speakers are a set of Eltax 5.1 that were aroudn £150-200 a year or two back.

Whenever i'm watching either TV or a DVD and there is a quiet scene often the bass drops out and i'm left lsitening only to the satellite speakers, and when the bass kicks in again it might take up to a second - so if there is a quiet scene and then say a gunfight or explosion, or even a loud conversation i won't get anything from the subwoofer for up to a second.

This happens more often when the volume is low - as if there is a threshold before the bass needs to kick in - so if the volume is set low there's more chance that the sound will be too low to kick in.

Surely there must be a way to stop this dropout from happeninig - i have read through the manual and searched around on the net but i can't tell if it's a fault or if that's what happens on all receivers/subs.

I'd hoped maybe i've set something up wrong and that disconnecting it all and the putting it all back might have fixed a dusty connection. Does a sub have to be fed with a certain level of signal or else it drops out ??

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    You could try (if it's provided on your amp) INcreasing the sub output volume level on the amp, and correspondingly DEcreasing the sub's own volume. This will lower the threshold at which the sub goes to sleep. However, it may be a problem in the sub, in that it's going to sleep on loss of (a high enough) signal too quickly. Normlly, I'd expect it to keep active for a couple of minutes (maybe more) on loss of signal.

3. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    ........or have a look on your sub and see if there is a setting for "Auto" or "Manual".
    I used to have my KEF sub on auto - the result being if it did not receive a signal after a set amount of time (30 mins I think), it would go into standby. And then unless the signal was strong enough, it would stay in standby !
    Fixed it by changing it to manual - now it stays on 24 hours a day because I'm too lazy to switch it off :laugh:

Ian.