bass sounds better standing up

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by sanj87, Feb 4, 2014.

1. sanj87

sanj87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the bass sounds much richer and fuller standing up also when theres like a beat it kind of hits you in the chest unlike sitting where its flat. i know it must be down to acoustics of room. so whats the best thing to do in this situation?

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    You have my sympathy as I could only have my sub in one spot until recently;front right and this gave me a big null at my listening position that went from about 30-50Hz. No matter how much I turned the sub up or any EQ/XT32, etc would resolve it. If I sat on the other sofa (off to the left of the screen and all the speakers) the bass was too much, so I had to be aware of this if we had visitors.

In the end I added a second sub and managed to rearrange things so that the front sub is on the left side (resolves the boomy bass on the other sofa) and the rear one is on the right, so diagonally opposite. I now how even bass at pretty much all the seated places in the room (though bass does get louder if I stand near the back wall).

Bottom line is that you need to move your sub, or possibly add a second one. I recommend using REW room simulator if your room is a regular shape since it's very accurate compared to what I've actually measured, plus it's easier to drag a symbol of a sub around a 'virtual' room to see where it'll work best than a real sub.

3. sanj87

sanj87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi sorry not to give more details ive actually got a pair of bookshelves on custom design rs300 stands..

4. sanj87

sanj87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wharfedale diamond 121s

5. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Then why don't you stand up?!;)

My bedroom houses my current hi-fi set up, which unfortunately means sitting on the bed listening to music. Given a choice I would always stand up, I did for years previously and still prefer stand up gigs to seated ones.

I think music is a visceral experience and always feel a bit disconnected physically when I'm sitting down, but is there a reason why you prefer it?

In my experience, bookshelf or standmount speakers always sounded better standing up. Well, it was a sound I preferred compared to sitting down.

How close are they to the rear wall? That can have an impact on bass reproduction. Have you tried putting some granite chopping boards under your speaker stands (usually about £10 each)? That can have quite a dramatic effect on the sound too.

Let us know how you get on.

6. sanj87

sanj87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi i have got wooden flooring i think that is a real problem, altho i noticed the phase was wrong the bass improved dramatically but its still not enough i think , it can be just the size of my room vs the tiny speaker. also i took those flimsy sticky things off too secure stand to speaker too see what happens and i think it jus sounds better ( more depth )

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Depending on how extreme the difference is, likely you have a standing wave in the room. This happens when direct sound and reflected sound interfere with each other. This can happen in two ways. When the two sounds meet they can cancel each other or they can re-enforce each other. Though in this circumstance, it is hard to tell which is which. If sitting down normal and standing up re-enforced, or is stilling down in a null, and standing up normal? I have no way of knowing.

To some extent this can be controlled by speaker placement. Whether the speakers are wide or close. Whether the speakers point straight ahead or angled (toed in) slightly. Changing the speakers around or pointing them at an angle, will change the reflections in the room, and therefore change the locations of the peaks and nulls in the room.

As others have pointed out, it is critical that you confirm that the speakers are wired correctly, that in every case, with absolute certainty, the Amp(+) goes to the Speakers(+).

How close to the wall behind are the speakers. If you have them shoved up against the wall, that is going to interfere with the sound. Typically, bookshelf speakers don't need a lot of room. And contrary to what most people think, it is not that hard to give the speakers a little space. I simply move my speakers forward so they are even with the front of the equipment stand, and that gives them the necessary room behind. Typically for a bookshelf, that only need to be 8" to 10"; perhaps less depending on how bassy the speaker is to start with. Generally, the most bass it has, the more room it needs.

Next room acoustics; bare modern rooms are an acoustical nightmare. Old fashioned cluttered softly furnished room are much better. You need to make a reasonable assessment of your room acoustics.

That's about the best I can say given the limited information I have.

Steve/bluewizard