1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass settings for Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Napier, Feb 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear All,

I have been working through some problems with some great help from really nice people on here who have given up their time to help me out. I am really like this forum and the people are very friendly so thank you to all so far who have helped me.

I currently have a setup of as follows:

Denon 3805 Amp
    Denon 3910 DVD
    Aelite 3 floorstanding speakers - Bi wired

The problem I seem to have is that I need the volume up quite high to get the most out of them. Do I need to let the speakers bed in or something. Also there is very little bass coming out of them for normal TV watching (SKY +). I was wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the bass output. The speakers are set to large after the auto setup was completed.

Any ideas on specific config parameters I can change on the denon?

Napier

2. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Napier -

Sorry I'm not much help with the settings on a 3805, but are you sure that you don't have a subwoofer selected in the options and sending the bass there?

I'm also a little concerned from your previous thread that the speakers still arent wired up properly, or that you may have done some damage to your speakers or amp.
    What kind of speaker cable and banana pugs are you using?
    When you spliced the speaker cable at the amp end did you have to cut off the banana pugs (ie were they factory fitted) and are you just using the bare wire at the amp - or are they the screw type?
    You might be better not biwiring, like duster said and just using one run of cable to one set of posts on your speakers - remember to replace the metal bars in that case.
    Always make sure your amp is turned off when making changes to your cables.
    They way you had wired your speakers wired initially I think was causing a short circuit in your amp via your speakers and was causing the protection circuit to kick in - hopefully this should have prevented any damage, but if your still not sure, I would go back to the shop and get them to show you exactly what to do, or get them to come round if possible. Or take up the offer of help from previous thread

3. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe that my speakers are setup right now:

From speakers I have four banana plugs, using purple for neg and green for pos with proper speaker wire and seperate banana plugs that require fitting.

To the amp I have joined the neg ends together and pos ends together to make two banana plug presentations to the amp from each speaker. So to the amp I have one pos and one neg for each speaker.

I did try with just one cable connected to the top connectors of the speakers with the metal plate in place and didn't hear much difference to what I do now.

The problem is with normal TV I don't hear much bass, I would like more bass to come through as the speakers do sound heavily reliant on the tweeter and midrange cones. I have spoken to a friend who has some decent floorstanders and he said you won't hear much out of the lower and bottom cones as they are purely for bass. This is why I think I do have it setup right. When watching DVD's I do get allot of base and the sounds are great, wish I could turn it up more but fear my neighbours will bang my door down (of which I probably wouldn't hear either :D )

I just wanted to know if there was anything on the 3805 that you could configure to enable more bass. I have the floorstanders configured as large speakers, the amp is off currently as I do not have that delivered yet. The configuration for the amp is set to none.

When watching TV or dvd I can set the db of the individual speakers but I am not sure what that is all about so have left it to +1.0db each. I think the auto setup did that config.

Any ideas or thoughts are more than welcome.

Napier

4. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure then - how have you got your tv / sky linked up to your amp.
    are there tuning plugs in the bass ports of those speakers that you can play around with?

5. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is nothing on the speakers themselves to tweak which is a shame. I have the sky connected to the speakers through phono leads from sky itself to the amp.

Napier

6. conkerman

conkerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    OK then.

I don't have a 3805 but I have a 3802, and if you have connected the speakers correctly. you need to select the following options.

Speaker size = Large
    Subwoofer = OFF

Those speakers should give you plenty of bass. Have you run your system in yet??

I have Monitor Audio B2's and these are pretty good.

Heres what I would do.

1, Go through your setup options and set as above.
    2, Single wire your speakers. Rember to put your terminal jumpers back in. If you have biwired with these in you will bugger up the impedence of the speakers.
    3,Call your dealer to set the system up if you are still not happy. Its expensive kit and I'd pay an extra bit of cash for the peace of mind. (you shouldn't have to :) )

Your amp should have tone controls, but I wouldn't have thought you would need to play with them.

Another thought springs to mind. What musid/radio are you listening to??
    You might be hearing the poor, compressed mastering quite a lot of CD's exhibit.

7. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Springs to my mind that maybe you're accustomed to boomy bass that can be heard a mile away? Pure/clean bass is tight, not echoing or boomy at all, so it can't be heard that well. Are your speakers too far from the wall?

8. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 3805 and there is a large difference between a cable tv signal and dvd. I use a subwoofer and it needs boosted with normal cable tv. You can preset the rolloff bass frequency for a sub, but the mgf and thx recommend 80hz, which means your front speakers won't put out anything below 80hz. Like the previous threads say, turn off the sub if you haven't already.

9. rjstott

rjstott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3805 and lack of base can be for a number of reasons. Firstly if you set the speakers to small then all base is routed to the sub-woofer. Secondly if you don't have a sub-woofer ensure it is not selected. Finally if you used the auto-configuration be aware that it can auto equalise too. The equailsation settings are where you could fine tune after the auto calibration. However, if you didn't get the fundamentals right (small/large/subwoofer) at the start then things could be well off.

10. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanx for advise, in answer to your points:

I have floorstanders set to large
    Sub is set as none (until Sat when the monster takes over my lounge :D )
    EQ settings I can only set to auto, manual or flat (no front setting everyone says you should select - possibly due to not having a front yet - also arriving Sat :D :D )

I think it is how it should be, the sound is very clear, the bass is present in DVD's so not too worried. However its not present in normal tv, I have the sky + hooked into the amp via phono.

Napier

11. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Napier, you will not be able to select RoomEQ to Front or Flat until you hook up the Surround Left "A" and Surround Right "A".

Otherwise, as the guys have suggested your setup seems fine - apart from your Sky+! Replace the "phono" cables with a toshlink (optical cable) instead which will deliver a much better quality of sound to your AMP. (IMO)

12. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you are totally right, I am going to buy a optical cable on the weekend. I am currently thinking about buying a new plasma too. I want a PIO MXE1 in silver which I have found for 2k delivered. However I don't know what to do with my old rear projection 42" Toshiba. Its three years old so probably wouldn't sell for much what do you suggest? I am stuck for ideas what to do with it if I get a new one.

Thanx for your help everyone, I have a REL stratus coming tomorrow and 2x rear, 1 x front speakers. I am very excited about getting it all setup, somewhat worried next door neighbours are going to hate me soon though :D

I will update when its all installed, will say these Aelite 3's are amazing!

Napier