1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass redirection rules

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by niko, May 28, 2005.

1. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi (first post here),
    I got my TAG DP from Sevenoaks and it runs fine so far, nice toy indeed. Gets too hot for my taste, but causes no problems. Really shame that TAG went down. Room EQ is done extreamly well too, pleasure to play with, huge step forward from Denon's "auto EQ" that was real pain IMHO.

However I am not sure about some settings. Is there any difference in "direct" surround mode with speakers set to full range / bass limited.
    Also in DD / DTS , what exactly is redirected to the sub? Full .1 signal or only range under upper sub cutoff. Any difference here if main speakers are set to full range or bass limited.

That was it for the first time.
    Thanks for any sort of clarification.
    Niko

2. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to "refine the question" before someone answers it.
    Are any time alignement and speaker calibration values applied to "direct" mode?

I tried to find these infos in manual but it is not so precise.
    Thanks
    Niko

3. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, stevesky's the man to ask for this, since he wrote the algorithm! I think this question has come up before, if I remember right:

Direct automatically puts the main R/L speakers into full range regardless of how you've configured them. To use them as bass limited you need the Direct + Sub mode.

In DD/DTS, all the dedicated .1 bass frequencies and additional bass frequencies depending on how you've selected the bass management is directed to the Sub. This bit I'm not sure of so hopefully someone else will confirm/refute this.

I think TMREQ, time alignment should still work for main R/L speakers with direct selected.

4. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the meantime I read almost all the threads but couldn't find exact answer, so Stevesky please HELP :)
    Also please explain if there are any changes with EQ engaged / not

Thanks
    Niko

P.S. seems there are few real professionals here, choosing TAG migh have been wise move!

5. Omardris

Omardris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Niko,

Direct Mode:
    1. Time alignment is active
    2. TMREQ is active
    3. Bass management is NOT active

Direct + Sub Mode:
    1. Time alignment is active
    2. TMREQ is active
    3. Bass management is active (If Speaker bass limited)

I have measured this with ETF5.

PF

6. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PF
    It still does not answer my all question but it helps.
    Niko

7. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    I have a question if anyone can help.
    I listen to my music in Direct.
    I listen to dvd,s with an 80hz crossover.
    In TMREQ do I set the main speakers as Full range ven though they will be diverting 80hz and below when playing dvd's?
    Regards

8. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Greetings TMAers!

No, Direct mode forces the left, right to full range independent on how you've declared the speakers. Direct+Sub does the inverse and forces the left, right to bass limited independent if you've declared them as full range.

Any bass from a speaker that is bass limited. However there are a few special rules:
    1. If LR are full range and centre is bass limited then centre bass goes to LR.
    2. If SBL, SBR are bass limited but SL,SR are full range then SBL, SBR bass goes to SL, SR.

The LFE channel (the .1) will always go to the sub. If no sub is present then it gets redirected to the full range speakers in the system (excluding centre and SBL, SBR).

For AV32DP and AV192R then Yes. TMREQ is applied in all modes.

9. niko

niko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Steve, this was really written nowhere. I've read whole forum but found nothing. Also not in the manual.
    I was told there was huge ammount of product info in the proprietary TAG forum in the past.
    Are these threads available somewhere on the web? I'd be more than happy to read it thru.

Thanks again everyone. I will come back to you if I get another dilemma.
    Niko