Bass peak level settings...Help please !!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jonnyv, Apr 7, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Setting up my pioneer amp and have come across a 'bass peak level' setting.

This emits a test tone from subwoofer , each press moves the level 1db in a range of -80db to +12db.

It says to adjust the db until the test tone begins to distort..

my subwoofer is a yamaha yst-sw90. according to the specs the high cut filter is 50 hz-150hz (-24 db/oct.)

Frequency response is 23 hz - 170 hz (-10db)

So my question is...What should i set the bass level peak setting to on my amp ?

cheers

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not familiar with pioneer amp but will try to help.

What are your speakers rated at in Hz?

Have you set them to small/large in the amps set up?

If your speakers are rated at anything down to 40Hz set to small,

Turn the peak level on the amp to 00db.

If the amp lets you set various settings for the frequency crossover set to 80Hz thats if your speakers are rated at about 70Hz and below, if your speakers are satellites they may be higher, so set accordingly.

Set subs crossover at about 85db/90db or 5/10db over the speakers ratings, and volume at about 2 o'clock, then you can adjust the amount of bass you require from the amps bass level setting.

3. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the reply,

speakers are 58hz

speakers set to small in amp menu

as far as i know from reading the subwoofer manual the sub crossover should be set to the main speakers minimum reproducible frequency, which is 58hz..so my sub is set at about 55 hz. As far as im aware the main speakers take the bass to 58 hz then the sub takes over down to 23 hz.

I am a little confused about you saying 'Turn the peak level on the amp to 00db.' ? I can set it from -80db to + 12db at o db the bass is very distorted, set it to about -30 db and the bass sounds fine..Any less than that and the bass is distorted..

I have noticed when running the thx optimizer on the phantom menace dvd that when i run the subwoofer crossover test there seems to be a gap where theres no bass , then after a brief pause it starts again ??

can you give me any further help....

Cheers

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    I have this on my Denon amp.

Leave it switched off you dont need it.

It effectively cuts the sub output at the volume you set it at.

Most subs have a protection circuit that should come in to effect if you try and overload them.

Yamahas frequency response figures are dubious at best, they measure theirs +/- 10 db whereas most others are +/-3db. You´ll probably find it doesnt go much lower than 40hz properly.

It really is worth investing in one of the better subs from Rel, M&K etc

Then you´ll hear what youve been missing.

5. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    With regards to your sub crossover, set it at maximum as the amp will be controlling the cutoff (normally 80/90hz).

With the speakers set to small the amp will send all bass below the cutoff to the sub. The other speakers will take care of everything above the cutoff frequency.

If you have a gap in the bass that means your sub crossover is set too low.

6. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Jase is correct, set your crossover in the amp higher, somewhere between 70-90Hz (experiment to find what sounds the most natural and constant using the sweep on the THX Optimizer). I would also agree that the "usable" frequency limit of your sub would be 35-40Hz as well, although the "old" THX standard (pre Ultra 2) standard only required solid response to 35Hz.

Jase

I have the AVC A1SE and an M&K V-125 (THX). I have the sub peak level set to on, although I set it up to the point when the stairs in my room vibrate, rather than when the sub distorts! Basically, I tried to find the point when the sub distorts, but felt dizzy (no joke) from the LF before the sub even began to struggle! Good old M&K!!

Still, do you think that I should turn it off and see if there is an improvement in performance?

Cheers Kane

7. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Kane

Its worth leaving it off just to see what results you get. My Rel has a setsafe device so wont overload so for me the Bass Peak Limiter isnt needed.

It may be different for your sub, play around and see what results you get.

cheers

Jase

8. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the replys, The bass peak level is a setting on the amp..part of the thx requirements...i think...

I have set the bass peak level at about 30, any lower and it sounds distorted...

Cheers for the advice