Question bass on kef iQ5

frankie carbone

Established Member
Reaction score
hi this is probably sacrilege i have just got a pair of kef iQ5 speakers bought them as i think they look fantastic lol using them in a 5.0 setup
3 KEF HTS-1001.3 speakers no sub as i live in first floor flat i have just got maranzt 1710 at xmas. three questions .is it possible to reduce bass on the iQ5 speakers or have none at all as i dont like the rumble that comes from then for me or also for my neighbours.can i use things called bungs are they for reducing bass!? dont know if its possible to get bungs for these kef iQ5. also can you say what these cables are for that are in picture any help appreciated.thanks s-l400.jpg

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 602
As the Kef iQ5's never had masses of bass which is why Kef redesigned the inner of the speaker to allow more air flow to create more bass on the iQ5SE, I'd say that maybe part of the issue is placement as any speaker can sound boomy if situated in the wrong place.

If you have them close to or away from the wall to see if that improves them. I would also say look at some spikes plus isolation feet to control the bass better too as it looks like you have the speakers directly situated on laminate flooring which could be causing some unwanted vibrations that are extenuating the unwanted bass sounds

hi thanks for reply i must clarify that the pictured used is from somewhere else my speakers are on a carpet i have found a setting on my maranzt 1710 says graphics equaliser does that deal with bass

Just a few more questions.

Are these part of a 5.1?
Have you re-run the room eq since installing the speakers?
Have you placed them in a corner?
If its part of a 5.1 and you have already run the room eq, try switching the woofer off and see what happens to the sound. What can happen when you re-run the room eq, it can change other aspects of the system and you may need to drop the level on the woofer down a little. If this is the case, then you may need to change the crossover and level on the woofer itself. This is quite normal if you've come from a pair of bookshelf's too

As to your question, yes the graphic equaliser can alter the sound of a speakers, but I feel it will be more to do with one of the above issues since the iQ5 speakers are not very bassy compared to any of their competition at the time. It was the speakers weak point. The mid-range and higher frequencies for the price were their strong point

thanks for all the info this is for 5.0 setup no sub i have ran audyssey also been in test tone is it correct that all speakers are minus ie -6 -8 ect will try again tomorrow thanks again

Set the speakers to small and set the crossover manually. This will enable you to roll the speakers off. You may find they become a little thin though. With the crossover, set it at 80Hz to start with and adjust up or down according to your ear. You’ll have to say yes they’re is a subwoofer attached to the system after you’ve run the room eh if will not let you adjust it though. That won’t hurt it though as it’s just a line out

If you like them, then no. People pay silly prices for all sorts of speakers. That’s price you’ve probably paid is where those speakers may have settled. To replace them with today’s equivalent, you’d have to look at the Q550.

also can you say what these cables are for that are in picture any help appreciated.thanks s-l400.jpg

They are so you only need one pair of wires to each speaker. These speakers allow you to run two pairs of cable to each speaker to allow either bi wire or bi amp. (One pair of terminals is connected to the tweeter, one to the larger cone.) The former most people agree doesn't give you any benefit. The latter might but it will cost you more money.

Normally you just have a pair of plates connecting the two terminals but some people prefer to use the same cable as the speaker wire. Either way you need to leave them in place.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom