• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Bass Management for 2.1 setup

Vivek B

Standard Member
Hi Guys

I am very new to the AVR thing and just today bought my Denon X4500H with Klipsch RP-8000F and Klipsch R 115SW. I was fiddling through the setup for speakers and bass management. The settings for bass management are LFE + Main and speaker size set to "Large" crossover frequency Denon default 80Hz. I guess the AVR is sending lows to towers as well? Probably thats the reason not much bass from the subwoofer?

I tried to find stuff on this in many threads but could not find the settings related to 2.1 setup.

First is it safe to play with these settings? Jumping between LFE, LFE +Mains (Small,Large) I guess no damage to any of the equipment?

I am not looking for much bass from my towers so is it wise to set speakers as "Small" and bass as LFE only crossover at 80Hz?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 39241

You are not likely to damage anything by experimenting, unless you go crazy with the volume knob.

Any speaker set to large will play the full frequency range of any audio sent to that speaker.

Any speaker set to small will have the bass sounds redirected to the sub, if you have one, or the front mains (left and right speakers) if you don't.

The .1 LFE audio will be sent entirely to the sub if you have one, or to the front mains if you don't.

The crossover setting indicates where the AVR separates out the bass to send to the sub or fronts. It is a gradual slope though, not a dead stop.

Vivek B

Standard Member
@Rambles,

Thanks for your reply.

I set my LR mains to "Small" with LFE mode only still did not feel much difference. The crossover is 80Hz and LPF is set to 120Hz in the AVR. The frequency range for mains is 32-25,000Hz and for the sub is 18- 125Hz. So as per my little understanding, any signal less than 80 Hz will be redirected to sub? because of crossover is set to 80 Hz? and where does the LPF play in this? I have LPF setting both in the AVR and on the sub as well between 40Hz- 120Hz I believe the LPF should be same in AVR and on the sub.

D

Deleted member 39241

Yes, you are correct, with those settings any audio below 80hz that is mixed for the front mains speakers will be sent to the sub, as well as all of the audio that is mixed for the .1 LFE channel.

How have you configured the settings on the sub itself? The crossover should be fully open, on maximum. The LPF in the AVR should be left at 120hz.

Have you run Audyssey? If you use the app you will get some nice curves so will be able to see exactly what is happening.

Vivek B

Standard Member
@Rambles, In the AVR the LPF is set to 120hz and the same is also set to 120hz on the sub itself. But when I set the crossover to 80hz on the sub (also on 80hz in AVR) I get boominess instead of clear bass. I am trying to get clear bass than boom. I have not used the auddessy yet.

Last edited:

gibbsy

Run Audyssey it will help with the bass settings as it will EQ the sub. Your speakers should be set as small with a crossover of 80hz and the sub to 120hz. If you are intending to use the receiver for music then try it in pure direct as this will treat the speakers as large and not send any frequencies to the sub.

mjbtin

As you have 2 floorstanders try both 60hz and 80hz crossovers after running audyssey.

Martin

D

Deleted member 39241

@Rambles, In the AVR the LPF is set to 120hz and the same is also set to 120hz on the sub itself. But when I set the crossover to 80hz on the sub (also on 80hz in AVR) I get boominess instead of clear bass. I am trying to get clear bass than boom. I have not used the auddessy yet.
Don't set the crossover on the sub to 80hz, set it to max.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom