Bass distribution management: how are you managing yours?

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having had no functioning room for the best part of 2 years, I’m now starting to put together some ideas for my next room.

As far as bass management is concerned, having previously only utilised a single powerful sub, it was initially my intention to look at installing 4 subwoofers in my next project.

1 in each of the 4 corners with lfe being fed to each sub and if the room was to be divided into quadrants, then sending the floor level and height level speakers to the corresponding sub also.

I’ve already partially ruined that idea by purchasing a single, multiple drivered, high power sub. So I’m now thinking 2 of these subs, one at the front of the room and one at the back to cross over the corresponding speakers as well as pumping out the lfe.

I am curious though, what other folks are doing with multiple subs and managing the lower frequencies with the multiple subs..might give me an idea of possibly taking a different approach to the one I’m already contemplating!

I’m using 2 subs in my 2ch system set up as left and right.

I had the single sub for a couple of years and although the bass sound wasn’t directional if the crossover was kept low, the sense of pressure in the room was, so it always felt like more bass was coming from the front right corner(when deep bass played).
Now I have a sub in the left front corner too, so the room is pressurised evenly.

I’m using 2 subs in my 2ch system set up as left and right.

I had the single sub for a couple of years and although the bass sound wasn’t directional if the crossover was kept low, the sense of pressure in the room was, so it always felt like more bass was coming from the front right corner(when deep bass played).
Now I have a sub in the left front corner too, so the room is pressurised evenly.

Thanks for the input, it sounds logical and balanced for a 2 channel approach. Do you have a multichannel set up as well?

Thanks for the input, it sounds logical and balanced for a 2 channel approach. Do you have a multichannel set up as well?

No, just 2ch setup in the living room with t.v. etc going through it.
I never got into the surround side of things.
Here's my setup DIY UM18-22 sealed build

Hi Sammy,

I have 2 subs in opposite corners, the Anthem has 2 sub outputs but it treats them as one so I use a miniDSP. Matt Khan helped me to time align them using REW and I did the EQ manually then the Anthem takes care of the last bit. There is also software called MSO, multi sub optimiser but it was too complex for my little brain.

Higher end processors may well be able to handle multiple subs automatically which would make things very easy.

Hi Sammy,

I have 2 subs in opposite corners, the Anthem has 2 sub outputs but it treats them as one so I use a miniDSP. Matt Khan helped me to time align them using REW and I did the EQ manually then the Anthem takes care of the last bit. There is also software called MSO, multi sub optimiser but it was too complex for my little brain.

Higher end processors may well be able to handle multiple subs automatically which would make things very easy.

Are you splitting the lower frequencies from your rears a snow sending them to the rear sub only? Or are all frequencies below 80hz going to both subs as well as the LFE info

Edit, you won’t go far wrong with @mattkhan, good to know he’s still about!

Are you splitting the lower frequencies from your rears a snow sending them to the rear sub only? Or are all frequencies below 80hz going to both subs as well as the LFE info

Edit, you won’t go far wrong with @mattkhan, good to know he’s still about!

They are both connected to the LFE signal from the AV amp. Only reason that one is at the back is because I’m limited for space, I have subs in the only 2 corners I have, the other corners have a door and a desk.

Matt is awesome, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Asif, as you know I do 2x sub1's up front. I also was listening to Arrow-Av's setup last night that had 4 corners loaded using the Lyngdorf MP50 bass management with MK X12's

Must say, very impressed. Nice and even hitting all the right spots - that's the second time I've head that setup and it's delivering consistent results.

I'd be hard pushed to say who had the better subs between me and him if I'm honest.

Asif, as you know I do 2x sub1's up front. I also was listening to Arrow-Av's setup last night that had 4 corners loaded using the Lyngdorf MP50 bass management with MK X12's

Must say, very impressed. Nice and even hitting all the right spots - that's the second time I've head that setup and it's delivering consistent results.

I'd be hard pushed to say who had the better subs between me and him if I'm honest.

Is that Nigels place? If so, I do miss his input on here - never afraid to speak his mind and be direct! Although, saying that, he quickly settled into Avs!

Ross, are you sending the lfe and all the sub 80hz stuff from all the speakers (including heights) to your subs? Did you ever consider or try one sub at the back and one at the front and sending the lower content from the closest speakers to the corresponding sub? As well as the lfe signal to both?

I think you have the superior subs, but maybe Nigel has the ideal placement? Either way, theirs no way me and you are going to invest in 2/3 more subs so we can shove one in each corner, unless you’re thinking of going down that avenue in the future?

Yep, up to see captain mc mental pants himself last night he's got some real treats in the works, I'm bound by our secret blood death oath not to reveal anything as he's going full special padded helmet on everything - fascinating stuff.

The MP50 as I understand takes the LFE and the x-over bass (for want of a better word) and splits it into the number of subs you have and that, in turn gives you stereo subs (fwiw) with LFE+sub.

I did consider doing a criss cross but was too lazy.. tho that would be another way to do it on paper at least. He would have better placement as he has all 4 corners indeed - but as subs themselves I was impressed with their clean sound, which is typical of MK and KK and of course Room Perfect is probably the best consistent room correction there is.

I was happy with one sub so while it would be correct to load 4 corners it's a bit on the expensive side but doable.

Rich @Seriously Ltd who is literally the worst friend* in the world with the inability to open whatsapp at any given time, does the 4 corners as well with inwalls.

*that's right I'm publicly shaming you again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom