Question Bass distortion

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by darzo, Sep 8, 2017.

1. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've recently purchased a Yamaha amplifier to power my Boston Acoustic 5.1 home cinema.
    I'm currently experiencing a reverb that comes off the back of some voices at certain levels/tones. It sometimes spinds like a double voice.

If any one could offer up some sort of suggestions I would be very grateful as it's really annoying. I've played around with various levels and it improves slightly. Any suggestions with regards to setting s would also be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    More details needed, what is the exact model of the Boston Acoustics 5.1 Home Cinema package, also what's the model number of the Yamaha, is it an Amplifier or an AVR ?

3. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for your response. The amp is a RX- V581 and the Boston is Soundware xs

4. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Ok having now had chance to look at the specs of these, what crossover are you using on the Yamaha RX-V581 ?
    Your speakers should obviously be set to 'Small' in the Yamaha speaker setup menu and you need a crossover of 160Hz. Also it would be worth checking you haven't got the 'Extra Bass' feature enabled.

See how that sounds, and double check all your distances are correct as that could potentially cause a problem if the delays are wrong.

Have also noticed that there is a Firmware update available here RX-V581/HTR-5069/TSR-5810/RX-A660 Firmware Update Ver.1.16
    Not sure what version you have installed already, but all the instructions for updating are included in the link i've provided.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  5. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Bit of a long shot but I have only experienced that once at a friends house. He had a Hi-Fi stereo system with the speakers each side of the TV and he had the TV audio out plugged into the amplifier. He demonstrated that the TV and Stereo sounded OK on their own but when played together he had the same symptoms you are having, so is the TV sound on when you are using your system?

It seemed as if there was a lag between the two sounds giving the two voice effect with an echo.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks frank,

I've checked crossover and it's set to 120hz. I've also got the extra bass on. I'll check the firmware update and see if there's a newer version.

7. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Your speakers are rated down to 150Hz if i remember right, the closest crossover option on the Yamaha is 160Hz, try that and disable the extra bass and see how it sounds. What firmware version have you got at the moment ?

8. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Frank,

The firmware was 1.06. However it has now been updated to the very latest version. However, there's still a distortion. I've adjusted the distance but still getting the distortion. I'll take off the extra bass and see what difference this makes.

Thanks

9. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Have you changed your crossover to 160Hz as i said ?
    Disable 'Extra Bass' and re run your automatic set up, see where that leaves you, then go back into the setup menu and see what it has changed, you can tweak these settings to suit. My main concern is the Crossover setting and extra bass. It's no good having your speakers set to 120Hz if they only go down to 150Hz

10. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Frank,

Yes, the crossover has been set to 160Hz. I've taken the extra bass off and ran another set up. However the distortion is still happening. What's your thoughts on bass level on the amp and the bass level on the back of the speaker? Should they both be set around half way?

11. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    You've lost me a little bit on this 'bass level on the amp and the bass level on the back of the speaker' I'm assuming when you say speaker, you mean the Sub ?
    If you've set the crossover in the Yamaha to 160Hz, the crossover on the Sub should be set to Max i.e. 180Hz, what have you got it set to at the moment ? The bass level on the amp, what do you actually mean? The bass level on the amp will be in your speaker levels setting in the menu, this will be set as per the calibration and will give you a dB +/- reading, ideally you don't want an extreme +/- reading, i try to keep mine within +/- 6dB. The volume on your sub should be at about the 11 o'clock position.
    Also worth considering where you have your Sub positioned as this will affect the bass and how you hear it.

12. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I meant, the volume control on the back of the sub woofer and the bass volume level on the amp. Crossover set at 180 on the sub and 160 on the amp. Bass level has been set 5.0 +/-. I've also moved the sub to a different location. Still getting the annoying reverb/vibration/distortion ☹️

13. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Not sure what else to suggest now, is the problems with the bass all the time, or on a specific input/source?
    Assuming you aren't getting a double audio effect ... i.e. Audio from the TV speakers as well as the Boston Acoustics ?
    What sort of volume levels are you listening at and what is the room like, for example is it laminate flooring and lots of flat solid surfaces, is there lots of echo ?

14. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Is that the max level in the back of the Sub ?

15. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Hi Kev,
    That's the crossover in his AVR i've told him to set, his Sub crossover to Max which is 180Hz

16. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Have you investigated this possibility ?

17. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    As you have not nailed this problem down yet, I typed this into Google:-
    Yamaha RX-V581 echo problem
    and appears to occur in different models of Yamaha receivers. It is not just Yamaha but also with other brands, I typed the same thing in to Google except changed it to Onkyo TX-NR809.

You may find the cause and solution in the search results. Two answers I read pointed to the TV sound being on causing a time lag and an echo. You never said but have you checked to see if the TV is outputting audio at the same time.

Reading one of the other search results - Do you have one of the Stereoscopic sound fields turned on?, page 50 of the manual, especially Spectacle as this can cause an echo.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  18. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

19. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I really apprecaite everybody's time an effort on this.

Apologies about not directly replying to some comments. I'm new to this forum malarkey.

I can confirm that the tv volume is turned down and the sub is sitting on a solid wood floor. I have changed the sub position. I've put the sub on a carpet and still get the distortion.

The sound itself sounds like a hoarseness that comes of the back of certain deep(ish) voices. Akin to someone having a sore throat. It only happens on certain voices/voice levels.

I emailed Yamaha support when it first arose. However they've never got back to me.

20. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    You are welcome.

Have you tried to see exactly what speaker is producing this effect. It seems likely to be the centre speaker but first what happens if you turn your sub off?

If it still occurs then it is not the sub. Play something in Full Mono which will send everything to each speaker, (assuming the Yamaha has this mode) and listen close up to the three front speakers. Does the distortion occur only on one speaker or all three?

I see what you are saying but could another way of describing it be, 'as sounding chesty', as if the person has a cold and congested chest. If you agree and it goes away when the sub is turned off then this indicates you may need to turn the sub gain down a tad.

Alternatively if the distortion disappears with the sub off then you might want to try this from the manual page 5:-

Adjusting the Crossover Control
    Set the crossover control on the subwoofer to 180Hz. Fine-tune the crossover setting by ear for the smoothest blend with your main speakers. The best setting of the crossover control will depend on speaker placement and personal preference.
    Basically slowly turn the crossover down until the distortion goes away.

Or if you can set the crossovers separately for each speaker in the Yamaha you could turn the crossover down for the centre speaker only without affecting any of the others.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  21. darzo

darzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

It's defiantly coming from the sub as you don't hear anything through the other speakers.

You're correct in your description of a chesty cold. However it's only on certain levels of voice.

I'll try having a fine tune at the crossover on the back of the amp and see how that goes.

Best regards.