Bass dead-spot

Rich Marshall

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently I moved my gear into what we used to use as the dining room.
The idea was to create a media/cinema room and it works really well with the exception of my bass problem.

The screen, front speakers (kef iQ5SE) and DIY Monolith sub are positioned in front of a bay window, the sub being directly behind the TV against to the low wall of the bay window itself and the Kef's either side of the tv.

I've gone for a 7.1 setup and wanted my seating position to be away from the rear wall so it's a decent distance from the rear back speakers and level with the rear L&R ones...

This is where the problem arises, if I move 2' closer to the screen the bass from the sub and fronts is full and quite loud, move back closer to the rear wall and it sounds good too - from my seating position it's almost non existant from the sub and/or fronts. It almost sounds out of phase and hollow (it's not out of phase and I have tried switching sub and fronts in all combinations)

I've read a little on the googleweb and understand that the centre of a smallish room is often the worst place to sit due to the wavelength of bass notes.

Would adding another identical sub in a different location (not that I have many options here) fix the problem or should I just start from scratch with positioning?

Diagram not to scale :rolleyes:, the room is 14.5' from bay to back wall and 12' across.

Any advice would be great

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 97
You are probably sitting at a null point in the base wave form try reversing the phase switch on the rear ,if that does not help the best thing to do is move the sub if possible. A simple way to find a good spot to place it is to place the sub in the position of your main seat and play something with a lot of bass content then simply walk around the room to find where it is at it,s loudest . Try to keep your ears at seated hight because bass can accumulate in upper corners etc. Then put the sub in the position you have found that should hopefully cure your problem.
Hope this helps
Regards Andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom