1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass dead spot problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by axc97c, Apr 28, 2002.

1. axc97c

axc97c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bass dead spot problems

Ive recently just moved house, and in my new living room i seem to have developed a
    dead spot in the bass of my speakers.

When just playing 2 channel stuff (like music), i find that by sitting between
    the pair of speakers, the bass is flat and hollow. However as i move to either side,
    and past each speaker towards the edge of the room, there is a lot more bass. This is
    bugging me because the same thing happens when watching a film in 5.1 too.

I dont have a sub in this setup, and my amp is set the front speakers (floor standing) as
    large, and the center and rears as small. The fronts speakers are about 2.5m apart (9-10ft)
    and my listening position is about 2m back from the speakers. This effect seem st happen
    weather the speakers are toe in towards the listening position or not.

Any ideas as to why this happens and how to solver it much appreaciated.

Thanks

Adam

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check your speaker conections first if youve got a pos. going to a neg. or vise versa they will be out of phase and the bass will be all wrong.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Try moving the speakers forward or backwards to see if that makes a difference.

Does the bass increase as you move forwards or backwards??? instead of side to side.

4. axc97c

axc97c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive checked the +/- on the speakers and they are wired correctly so i dont think this is the cause.

Moving further forward seems to give better bass. I cant test moving backwards as there is a wall not far behind the sofa.

Adam

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Sounds like you need to reposition either where you sit or the move the speakers around. You can get all sorts of strange things happening with bass and its peaks & nulls.

Forum member Ramius is the resident expert on bass, might be worth you sending him a PM to see what he suggests.