Basic Wifi Streamer for Denon X3700?

josefK666

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have a simple requirement – to be able to play high quality tracks (CD resolution and above) from Amazon and other providers via my Denon X3700. HEOS is really clunky and won’t allow me to access any of my own playlists. Bluetooth only allows SBC via the Denon. I don’t want to use apps via my TV/eARC and don't want to have to wire up my laptop or phone. A Raspberry Pi is a no-go as I can barely change channels on the TV on my own...........

So, just a basic music streamer, wifi ideally – possibly with storage but that’s not essential. Budget wise I’m not averse to just going for a Node 2 like the rest of the planet but I just wonder if that’s overkill - but if the ideal component was £500-£600 or so then I would consider it.

And while I’m here – if I were to get a streamer with a decent DAC (i.e. probably better than the Burr-Brown in my Denon) – is there anyway of overriding the Denon DAC? Not sure if there’d be a noticeable difference in quality anyway but I’d probably prefer to avoid duplicating processing as that seems potentially degrading to the source signal. If there is a way I imagine it would mean me having to listen in Pure Direct mode but that's okay..........

Thanks in advance!

mike

If you were happy with red book audio there's the squeezebox or raspberry pi, bit I'm not sure how far it goes playing hd tracks. They're cheap though and work well I use squeezeboxes with Synology Nas, or install lms on laptop. £70 for squeezebox touch.

If it get a off board dac even high end unit you're still limited to Denon pre analogue sectio and typically avrs aren't great in hifi, although bass management, time alignment and room correction are worthwhile functions stereo amps lack . Good idea to audition a stereo integrated amplifier with HT bypas

Thoroughly recommend the following which I have connected to an old Yamaha amp in the loft. I purchased mine from Amazon US ( $99 inc shipping and duty at the time ) and use an Arcam rDac in conjunction with it. I have a Node 2i in the lounge for comparative purposes and I'm more than satisfied.

Amazon product ASIN B09QCVVLN8

No matter what streamer you use the Denon will still have a digital impact even with an analogue feed from the streamer. So some impact but difficult to quantify. The biggest impact will the Denon's stereo music performance itself and it's here I doubt will notice a difference.

Thoroughly recommend the following which I have connected to an old Yamaha amp in the loft. I purchased mine from Amazon US ( $99 inc shipping and duty at the time ) and use an Arcam rDac in conjunction with it. I have a Node 2i in the lounge for comparative purposes and I'm more than satisfied.

Many thanks for that - definitely worth taking a look!

@gibbsy and @rccarguy2 - I do keep toying with the idea of getting a dedicated stereo amp as my music listening has now overtaken my HT listening. As far as AVRs go I think this Denon isn't bad for music - I may need to get a home demo of something like a Lyngdorf to compare (or Evo 150, Hegel, Rega, the list goes on). This would very likely be my last amp and the money is there but I am trying to resist rash upgrades. Just not very well as it happens. :)

Then you want to add a dac, replace the stereo integrated amplifier with a stereo analogue pre amplifier, four monoblocs biamping your stereo speakers then buy two subwoofers, umik-1 and minidsp, then add more monoblocs for the center, surround and side speakers, then replace the Denon with a trinnov altitude, then get a laser 4k projector and 77" oled, then programmable universal remote control.

Could always upgrade avr to something like an arcam. Better suited to music. Though you could get a stereo amp and streamer for same price. Used would be better.

Adding a HT by-pass capable amp is easy. That's the route I took and used a Rega Elicit-R alongside my Denon X6500. Big difference in stereo performance. Not a cheap option with Rega and it's essential you audition as tastes vary from person to person. You could hang on as there may be a new Elex on the horizon and it could have HT by-pass.

Hi All,

So I have a simple requirement – to be able to play high quality tracks (CD resolution and above) from Amazon and other providers via my Denon X3700. HEOS is really clunky and won’t allow me to access any of my own playlists. Bluetooth only allows SBC via the Denon. I don’t want to use apps via my TV/eARC and don't want to have to wire up my laptop or phone. A Raspberry Pi is a no-go as I can barely change channels on the TV on my own...........

So, just a basic music streamer, wifi ideally – possibly with storage but that’s not essential. Budget wise I’m not averse to just going for a Node 2 like the rest of the planet but I just wonder if that’s overkill - but if the ideal component was £500-£600 or so then I would consider it.

And while I’m here – if I were to get a streamer with a decent DAC (i.e. probably better than the Burr-Brown in my Denon) – is there anyway of overriding the Denon DAC? Not sure if there’d be a noticeable difference in quality anyway but I’d probably prefer to avoid duplicating processing as that seems potentially degrading to the source signal. If there is a way I imagine it would mean me having to listen in Pure Direct mode but that's okay..........

Thanks in advance!

mike
I do keep toying with the idea of getting a dedicated stereo amp as my music listening has now overtaken my HT listening. As far as AVRs go I think this Denon isn't bad for music - I may need to get a home demo of something like a Lyngdorf to compare (or Evo 150, Hegel, Rega, the list goes on). This would very likely be my last amp and the money is there but I am trying to resist rash upgrades. Just not very well as it happens. :)

Cyrus One Cast is a bit of a bargain just now at Peter Tyson for £649 (use code SAVE150).
100W Stereo amp, WiFi, chromecast streaming, home theatre passthrough. Seems to tick most or all of your boxes. Cyrus ONE Cast Integrated Amplifier Review

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom