Question Basic upgrade for Av receiver from Panasonic SA HT-540

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by avinz, Jul 8, 2015.

1. avinz

avinz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I own a basic, entry level home theater, which I bought several years ago. The model is Panasonic SA HT-540

It is a 5.1 DVD player, 5.1 audio system with a passive woofer.

Circumstances do not allow me to upgrade the speakers etc. My receiver can only accept a scart cable or stereo input for external devices. I would like to buy a low budget, [or preowned receiver], which can support the existing speakers, and accept HDMI input from a HTPC and a PS4. The receiver will also give output to a 65 inch 4k,3d TV, but I am not interested in 3d / 4K at the moment.

Can anyone recommend suitable models , perhaps because you may have used a similar setup few years ago?

Thank you

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    There are no AVRs that will accept a passive sub also your other speakers are very low impedance (3 ohm) which again can not be used with an AVR. Hence there is no AVR, either new or secondhand, that you will be able to use your current speakers with.
    What is your budget? You can buy AVR/speaker packages for around £200 which will be a lot better option than another all in one system for the same money.

3. avinz

avinz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the answer. You are right of course, for that budget I should be able to get a complete package.I wanted to avoid having to install a new set of speakers etc, given that I might relocate for the third time this year.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    That is the problem with the all in one systems in that they are not designed to be replaced or upgraded in parts. Hence you need to replace the entire lot each time. If you go for an AVR based system or package then at least you can just replace the individual parts in the future if you want.

5. avinz

avinz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I get it. hopefully will get it right this time!