Basic stereo amp/receiver for tv and record player

Tom Guest

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a nice simple, clean looking amp. Inputs would be a optical digital from my tv and my record player. I currently have a phono stage (cambridge audio) which I could use but would like to keep the number of boxes to a minimum. Output would be a single set of stereo speakers - the room isn't really big enough or setup correctly to warrant more speakers.

I know amps normally don't have optical inputs because that is not what they are designed for but I have found these 2
https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-38741-nad-c-328-integrated-amplifier-with-dac.aspx (£500)
Tibo TI435AMP (£150)

Both have the functionality I want. I prefer the look of the NAD but it is a lot more pricey.

Can anyone recommend anything else to do? Does anyone have any experience with the above 2 amps? I know the price point is very different.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm finding digital inputs are actually getting pretty common these days TBH.

This seems like a good mid point to your 2 iptions

If you browse the RS site you can add a filter for digital inputs which gives a decent choice

To be honest now isn't necessarily the best time to buy IMO but I've honestly no idea when the market will return to some semblance of normality.

jwlawler

I have an old NAD 3020B which has a Phono input for the record player but you would need a DAC for the TV unless it also has RCA outputs. It still sounds good after well over 30 years. So old that it does not even have a CD input.

Gray3

I have an old NAD 3020B which has a Phono input for the record player but you would need a DAC for the TV unless it also has RCA outputs. It still sounds good after well over 30 years. So old that it does not even have a CD input.

Only the most influential amp of all time, that's all.
I had the matching 4020 tuner too.

jwlawler

Only the most influential amp of all time, that's all.
I had the matching 4020 tuner too.
I also had the 4020 but it did not last so well. I took both out of storage a few years ago. The 3020B performed well but the 4020 much less so. The 4020 has gone to that great HiFi shop in the sky. I still have the 3020. It is not currently in regular use but it gets used occasionally.

The 3020B has an odd quirk. When you turn it on, it is silent for a few seconds and then the speakers make a noise that sounds rather like a fart. After that it is fine. Turning down the volume does not affect the fart. I don't know whether this is common or specific to mine.

Later, I bought a NAD receiver; I forget the exact model, three digits starting 5. This added a few nice features: preset memories on the tuner, a remote control, and support for two sets of speakers. However, it did not last so long. The 3020B has outlived it by a long way.

Gray3

The 3020B has an odd quirk. When you turn it on, it is silent for a few seconds and then the speakers make a noise that sounds rather like a fart. After that it is fine. Turning down the volume does not affect the fart. I don't know whether this is common or specific to mine.
Pretty much specific to yours I think you'll find 😟.

jwlawler

Pretty much specific to yours I think you'll find 😟.
It's not a serious problem just rather curious. It has done it for a very long time so I don't think that it is a sign that it is about to die.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom