Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Basic Sky+ Question From Newbie

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Cabo 5150, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Up until recently, snobby residents in the group of flats I live in oppossed the installation of a communal Sky dish - because it would detract from the "look" of the building :rolleyes:. However, I've recently convinced them to change their collective minds and will at last have said dish put up this Saturday :smashin:. My question is this: I'll be connecting a Sky+ receiver to my AV amplifier through the S-Video out, for upscaling to component and connection to my Panny PW4 plasma panel. I really don't want the box connected to my phone line, can I use it as a standard Sky digital receiver when I receive my viewing card from Sky? I realise I'll be sacrificing interactive services, but I'm cool with that. I won't be paying for a Sky+ subscription either, I hope to link the receiver to my Panasonic HS2 DVD/HD recorder via RGB scart and use its HD to record. Can anyone confirm this "set-up" will work OK? Many thanks in advance.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Yes SKY+ will work as a standard digibox BUT there is no autoview function so no way to trigger the DVD/HD recorder, at least not directly.
    No phone connection is required if the SKY+ was not supplied and installed by SKY and it is not part of a multiroom subscription.

Don't know how much the SKY+ cost ya but a Grundig digibox with s-video would have done the same job and have autoview, no optical though but without DD5.1 channels via SKY it's not that big an issue I suppose.

3. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi

Looks as though this thread is touching on a point im trying to clarify myself.

Id like to get sky+ for the recording feature but dont really want to pay the extra £10 per month (Im only on the family pack). If i just bought a box rather than going through sky would i have the ability to record sky. I assume that id only be able to record 1 channel and probably woulnt be able to use any of the extra little tricks, its just the recording im interested in. Im not sure if, in the long run it isnt going to be cheaper to bite the bullet and order through sky and pay the extra.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Without paying the SKY+ sub there are no recording facilites at all, doesn't matter where you get the box from.
    Instead of looking at the £10 a month as extra consider it as paying for either SKY sports or SKY movies (or mixture of the two) and getting the SKY+ service thrown in:)

The only other option is to get an external recorder such as a DVD recorder or one with integrated HD recording as well. Not as simple or straight forward as SKY+ but better quality than a VCR. TIVO is still knocking around as well but that is a subscription service, either a monthly or one off payment.

5. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Many thanks Starburst