1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic SKY package overseas

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Craig, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I live in Belgium (I'm a Brit) and would like to get the basic free to air channels, especially BBC 1-4, ITV, C5; I am not particularly interested in any of the premium packages (sport / Movies) etc, but would like to have the basic packages as above

Having done a wee bit of reading, I understand that I would need

- 40cm dish, set to east of south 28 or whatever it is
    - Sky digibox (pace or Amstrad model would be fine?)
    - Sky FTA card activated in the UK

Here come the questions.........sorry if they're real dumb :blush:

I guess I can get some whalla to install the dish and set it up for me, but would it be possible for me just to buy the dish over here, or does it have to be a SKY dish?
    The receiver, I presume, could be bought new, or off eBay for a relatively low sum
    Then I just need to get a FTA card and have it activated over the phone

Does this sound about right? :confused:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Apart from the box, you should be able to get all the other bits locally. Another source is Ebay. Make sure that you get the card activated from a UK phone - Sky trace the calls to country. The dish should be aimed 28.2 degrees East of true south (which can be up to 6 degrees off magnetic south).

3. havabanana

havabanana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Craig,

A quick hello before my first post. Hello :hiya:

I have had my eye on Sky for a while now (I'm a Brit living in Germany), especially the quite uncomplicated FTA option that's just become available. As chance would have it, I received a newsletter from a German satellite magazine today and one of the topics was that a Dutch politician ( a Mr. Max van Berg, who would become my new hero if it pans out! ) has set the ball rolling (again) regarding the viewing rights of European citizens. He says that they are too restrictive and don't really conform to European law. His example is people living across the border in Germany that can't legally pick up Dutch TV without having a Dutch address. Apparently, the EU Commission has agreed with him and are looking into scrapping the present restrictions and making it possible to purchase any pay-tv package anywhere within the EU. I could finally get Sky in Germany - and it would all be legal!

I have no idea what "looking into" really means, as there are obviously gigantic financial powers supporting the present situation. If "looking into" means what it has for the last 15 years (where this topic has been raised on numerous occasions and probably "looked into" before disappearing into oblivion again), then I'll be extremely disappointed, but I have a feeling that this time they're serious and I will certainly support it in any way I can. I'm certain Mr. Murdoch and his counterparts in other countries would be happy to get the extra revenue. After all, that's what there in it for, isn't it . . . ?

I'll try and keep an eye on things and post any news I may pick up. I'm certain a lot of people will be interested in the outcome. :clap:

havabanana