1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic setup for my plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by John Langton, Apr 12, 2005.

1. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I know every plasma set up is different but has anyone got settings I could put into mine so I can get a better picture than the factory standard. The thing Im worried about is my brightness being to bright and reducing the life of my plasma. Any help appreciated

John

2. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not one answer? Also to add to this post after two years I cannot believe how stupid I am! I have just discovered the FINE MODE I cant believe the difference. At first you think the picture is too dark but then your eyes get used to it. If you put it back to normal it is way too bright and actually looks horrible. I cant believe Ive been watching my plasma like this for years! Ive probably been burning my retina out! Are there any other obvious things I have neglected about my plasma? I will be getting it ISFed when I can afford it

John

3. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For the record. Brighteness = black level, Contrast = white level. It's the contrast (I believe) rather than brightness that equates to the life of the screen. Small point, I know.

4. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think it was the contrast then that was too high. Any how I think I will remain in FINE mode from now on

John

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Fine mode on Fujitsu is like cinema mode on pannys but the difference you saw between normal anf fine the differnece between fine and ISF is as big again..... the other thing to check is connectivity make sure you are using quality connections

6. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You lot are going to think Im a right idiot :( . Ive been using a 10 metre cheap scart lead. Now I know Ive got component BNC connectors and a DVI i will be looking to get a DVD player soon to utilise one of these and make the most out of my plasma

John

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get a decent component out DVD player and be prepared to weep at all those lost hours/days/weeks/months and even years of lost PQ......but at least you are learning.........

8. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I go component or DVI? I was lookin at the denon 2910 with the DVI output although I know it has both but was wondering what has best PQ?

John

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need to demo mate i think DVi may cause you issues than it solves, i would look for a Tosh SD9500/900, Arcam DV88+/89 and denon 2900, but i suggest a home demo of the 2910 and one of the other options

10. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Horny can you let me know why it may cause me issues. Thanks for all info

John

11. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry John mate - but i gotta do this!!!

hold on ....here we go... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

better now ta.

bless ya and at least you can make like you have a brand new Fuji after all!! which is the effect of finding fine mode and buying decent cabling.... Hey u just got an extra 2 years of plasma power now too....

Regards

Dil

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    50Hz will be the issue can it handle 576p and 480p at 50 on DVi with HDCP? can it handle 720p @ 50Hz with HDCP can it handle 1080i @ 50Hz if can do all that then a DVi DVD player will work (with upscaling if you want) but uses up your only HDCP input

13. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm is this info any good?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      Size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      Size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
  14. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like it can do 1080i at 50Hz and 720p at 50Hz. 576 at 50Hz but the 480p is at 60Hz
    Not sure if this is DVI or HD so think the best thing you say is to see if a store can loan me a player to check

John

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if those are for the DVi input which has HDCP you will be fine (except you are using your only HDCP input for DVD) what a screen can accept on DVi and component, VGA (RGBHV) can vary so make sure they are for DVi, if they are you are laughing..........

16. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Horny Dragon. Im not sure how I would be able to find out if these are also for the DVI output but I def know that anything through the DVI input is definately HDCP as it states so in the manual. Also you mention as to using the only HDCP input for the DVD player. What else would I use it for? Are you refering to the new HD Sky coming out? If so am I right in thinking I could connect a sky and a dvd player to an AV amp and then run that into the player or does it not work like that

John